Setting up Remmina to connect from Debian 12 laptop to Rocky 9 desktop - audio isn't working.

Reaction score
Credits
Finally able to get the connection working with the Remmina client on my Debian 12 laptop, to my Rocky 9 XRDP server - both are physical devices. Currently experiencing an issue in which the audio from the server isn't registering on the Lenovo Ideapad laptop, though. No error message shows - but, when I test by playing a YT video on the server, it doesn't propagate to the laptop. Same occurs with music files directly residing on said server.
Tried checking online, but I wasn't able to find anything on Debian. Combed over Remmina's GUI to see if there is a setting that needs to be changed - but I also found nothing.

I don't suppose anyone would have any suggestions on how to proceed?

Last edited:

Is the server you are connecting to a local running vm or a remote vm or a remote physical server?

From what I found it should be possible if you are using pulseaudio.

You would have to install the following package on the xrdp server: pulseaudio-module-xrdp. But it doesn't seem to be available for EPEL in either 7,8, or 9.

So you would have to try to compile and install it yourself on the xrdp server.

Then an xrdp output device should become available from within your rdp session. I haven't tested this since I don't have pulseaudio installed on any of my systems. And AFAIK RHEL9/Rocky9 use pipewire as well but you could remove pipewire and install pulseaudio instead to try it out.

Piprewire doesn't have support yet but they are working on it, as they are working on a module for pipewire.
And there is an active discussion going on.

Last edited:
Pipewire replaced PulseAudio as of Debian 12. And by default Wireplumber is the sound manager.

Maybe the Debian Sound WiKi can help under the 'Troubleshooting' section.

Pipewire replaced PulseAudio as of Debian 12. And by default Wireplumber is the sound manager.
You can still replace pipewire by removing it and install pulseaudio from the repos.

You can still replace pipewire by removing it and install pulseaudio from the repos.
Ok, well that's good that pulseaudio can still be used.

I found out that pulseaudio was replace with pipewire when I read the Debian documentation before I installed Debian 12.
Pulseaudio wasn't broken to begin with so I'm not entirely sure what the motivation was from the Debian Team.

My theory is if it ain't broke don't fix it just like in my signature line.

Have a good weekend f33dm3bits!

Staff online