Screen goes black after login

Alien

Reaction score
Credits
Hi I need help I updated my system and when I rboot it it just shows black screen after login, i don't know what to do? Also I am not pro in this Linux type stuff so is anyone there to help me?
Also I am using feren os

G'day Alien, Welcome to Linux.org

What was the update you installed ?

Do you have Timeshift installed and working?

No I don't have any backup in time shift I update using this command sudo apt-get update & upgrade

Do you know what the backup consisted of?...Did you read the screen ?

It is possible that there was a kernel update, because you rebooted after the update finished.

If this was the case, do you see the grub screen prior to logging in ?.....it will be a list of the available kernels which are stored on your pc.

If you do see that screen, hit the down arrow when it appears....that will stop it proceeding further.

Arrow down to the kernels below the two which were installed via your update....they should have the numbers 5.4.0-105 & 5.13.0-37
Choose the first generic kernel below those...probably 5.4.0-104
Hit enter
The pc will boot to that kernel

Success?

Last edited:
If the grub screen doesn't show, pressing the shift key during the boot process should bring it up.

That's usually the Shift key for BIOS but the Esc key for UEFI.

Wizard

Hi Allen,
Welcome to Linux.org Forum.
What Distro are you using? If it's mint they had a kernel update the other day. And that could have an impact on your video driver. You can go back to the older kernel from the Advanced section of the grub boot menu. See if that solves the problem.
If you don't see the grub menu at boot hold the left shift key down if it's a Bios system or the esc key if it's UEFI.

What Distro are you using?
Op is using feren os.

Yesterday I have read their Twitter post they have updated the KDE plasma.
They have delayed their plasma update since it had some bugs but now they have released it

I think there is something to do with the plasma update if the op is using KDE

OP which desktop environment are you using?