Scared about how Windows games will run using Lutris.

This Is Temporary

Reaction score
Credits
I'm going to be upgrading my PC soon, going from a crappy $300 Walmart laptop to a nice $800 Tower good enough to run AAA games. The thing is I don't wanna pay the dumb ass price that Windows sells their OS for, which seems to be considerably worse in loading times compared to Linux. I am a bit scared about one thing of Linux: I'm scared about how my Windows only games will run using Lutris. Is it slower, or does it run basically the same as a Linux supported game work? I'm very new to the operating system so if this question seems idiotic it's because I am confused to all hell, and am just trying to make sure this will work for me.

Last edited:

...and the name of those games?..

Lutris may not run the latest games. A combination of Lutris and Steam/Battle.net/Epic/Origin can run many games.

G'day @This Is Temporary and welcome to linux.org :)

I am moving this thread to our Games Section, and all watching/participating will be notified.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Can always check out https://lutris.net/games/ individually for each game to verify if the games you want to play works.
I did, I'm asking how games that are supported run. Do they run as if you were using them straight from windows, or is it a bit slower do to how it has to work? I know it's gotta be somewhat case by case because of the open source nature, but overall how do the games run?

I did, I'm asking how games that are supported run. Do they run as if you were using them straight from windows, or is it a bit slower do to how it has to work? I know it's gotta be somewhat case by case because of the open source nature, but overall how do the games run?
There is an installation script at lutris web site for each game. The issues faced by others and the workarounds are stated as well. I've managed to play starcraft 2 and gta iv (epic launcher) through lutris. I did not notice any difference from playing it in windows, although you'll need to use nvidia proprietary video driver rather than noveau (if you're using nvidia card) for good frame rates. I was very happy with it.

Ultimately, I moved on to running Windows on KVM with PCIE passthrough but I'd say Lutris will keep most people very happy with ease of use and performance.

Why not just dual boot? Use Windows for only gaming, I do that.
I don't want to pay $100 for Windows 10 and I hate the watermark in the free trial. I just don't see any point in it when there are perfectly good application to let me run Windows games on Linux.

There is an installation script at lutris web site for each game. The issues faced by others and the workarounds are stated as well. I've managed to play starcraft 2 and gta iv (epic launcher) through lutris. I did not notice any difference from playing it in windows, although you'll need to use nvidia proprietary video driver rather than noveau (if you're using nvidia card) for good frame rates. I was very happy with it.

Ultimately, I moved on to running Windows on KVM with PCIE passthrough but I'd say Lutris will keep most people very happy with ease of use and performance.
Thankyou so much! I'll make sure to take in consideration what you said about the graphics card.

From memory, when win 10 is downloaded to use in a virtual machine or similar the watermark does not appear on the screen you are gaming on......
Please make allowance for my memory if I am wrong.

From memory, when win 10 is downloaded to use in a virtual machine or similar the watermark does not appear on the screen you are gaming on......
Please make allowance for my memory if I am wrong.
I believe once the trial period expires, the watermark will appear. Not sure if it appears in full screen gaming but it does appear in window mode

I don't want to pay $100 for Windows 10 and I hate the watermark in the free trial. I just don't see any point in it when there are perfectly good application to let me run Windows games on Linux.

not to sound harsh, but if there are perfectly good application to run these games, you wouldn't create a post about being "scared" to run these games on Linux.

$100 for Windows is not bad and Windows 10 is really good now. You can always get a "black" windows 10 lol

There are those among us who wouldnt pay .001C for win 10 even if it is "really good?....(good at what?....vacuuming up more data?).....The main prob most people have with 10 is the feeling of loss of control....
Linux vs windows is an old debate....and Linux won hands down long ago.

As for black copies....do we appear to be that desperate ?

We are not. We have Linux

Members online

Latest posts