Scanner Driver software installation

JohnJ

Reaction score
Credits
I have a Brother printer/scanner DCP-1510 on my Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon, 6.04.
When I attempted to access my Scanner a message appeared '...Install driver software'. I went to the Brother website, identified my Printer/scanner and downloaded the driver. See below. My question is: how do I actually upload the driver (I hope it's the right one) into my Linux Mint. Cheers.
1715559615308.png

1715559650457.png

1715559682304.png

1715559714457.png

@JohnJ :-

It's an age since I last used a mainstream distro, but from what I remember you need to install the .deb by the usual means first. You then run the Printer install app; the driver should get picked-up from the appropriate location and presented as an option during the process, at which point you select to 'Install' and it does that for you.

Before you go any further, it's an idea to print a test page to confirm everything's doing what it's supposed to....

No doubt I've remembered wrongly, so I'm quite sure I'll get corrected! :p

Mike. ;)

It's an age since I last used a mainstream distro, but from what I remember you need to install the .deb by the usual means first. You then run the Printer install app; the driver should get picked-up from the appropriate location and presented as an option during the process, at which point you select to 'Install' and it does that for you.

Before you go any further, it's an idea to print a test page to confirm everything's doing what it's supposed to....

No doubt I've remembered wrongly, so I'm quite sure I'll get corrected! :p

Mike. ;)
Thanks Mike but umm... baby steps please for a brand new user. What are the usual means first and there was no 'install' option. I went to downloads and there the driver was with something called .gz which I worked out means compression. I extracted the driver (you can see it in my pics) but now what do I do with it? Cheers

Heh. This is why I stipulated that I haven't used any 'mainstream' distro for a long time.....I'm a bit of an oddball (I've run 'Puppy' for the last 10 years, so draw your own conclusions!)

From what I recall, the best way to install .debs is with gDebi.....and I believe this is pre-installed in Mint (under Menu -> Utility)? My advice would be to wait for the regulars to come along who actually use Mint; they'll be better able to advise than I can.

Sorry I can't help further. Puppy is somewhat unique, and nothing works quite the same as it does in any other OS...!

Mike. :)

Heh. This is why I stipulated that I haven't used any 'mainstream' distro for a long time.....I'm a bit of an oddball (I've run 'Puppy' for the last 10 years, so draw your own conclusions!)

From what I recall, the best way to install .debs is with gDebi.....and I believe this is pre-installed in Mint (under Menu -> Utility)? My advice would be to wait for the regulars to come along who actually use Mint; they'll be better able to advise than I can.

Sorry I can't help further. Puppy is somewhat unique, and nothing works quite the same as it does in any other OS...!

Mike. :)
No worries. Thanks Mike

G'day John, which way would you like to do it - Terminal or GUI?

Wiz

G'day John, which way would you like to do it - Terminal or GUI?

Wiz
Thanks Wiz. Once again you will be impressed with me. While waiting for a forum response I Dr Googled 'Linux Mint. How do I install software not in the Software Manager?' My socks shot across the room trying to read esoteric musing something about terminal stuff. Then I came across someone (probably a 12 year old kid) who said just get hold of the .deb file (if available he/she said), double click it and install. Success! I am in business once again.

Love it when they solve it themselves, mind you it might put us out of a job. ;)

Love it when they solve it themselves, mind you it might put us out of a job. ;)
Just a quick point. How do I designate a thread as [Solved]. I don't want people wasting time on a thread if it is solved. Cheers

From your first Post, click Edit - No Prefix, choose Solved, then OK

Wiz

Staff online