Roadmap to become a Linux Networking intermediate?

oslon

Reaction score
Credits
When I am asking these questions, I know I'm in a big problem because at this time, I don't know what I need to learn.
I want to learn about DNS, FTP, SCP,Samba, SAN, iscsi, raid.....ssh, advanced concepts in linux (I already can do file transfer using ftp,scp...basic stuffs)
I want to learn about all networking commands like ping, tcpdump, nmap etc. (Again, I already know the basics, want to go advanced)
But I'm not finding proper roadmap. Please guide.

When I am asking these questions, I know I'm in a big problem because at this time, I don't know what I need to learn.
I want to learn about DNS, FTP, SCP,Samba, SAN, iscsi, raid.....ssh, advanced concepts in linux (I already can do file transfer using ftp,scp...basic stuffs)
I want to learn about all networking commands like ping, tcpdump, nmap etc. (Again, I already know the basics, want to go advanced)
But I'm not finding proper roadmap. Please guide.
It's not difficult to find the necessary information on all of the networking aspects mentioned. That's a matter of time and conscientiousness. The problem is that learning those networking programs and their interactions is most efficiently done when actually using some or all of them, which rather means, having a use for them. With the experience of using them, the knowledge and capability is more likely to adhere in mind and memory. Learning those things from reading alone is prone to the knowledge fading out from mind over time because there hasn't been enough stimulus to keep it embedded in consciousness. In simple terms, "use it, or lose it".

If you don't have a work environment where you can use the networking programs and systems to learn to use them, a reasonable alternative is to set up a network for yourself at home with multiple machines, virtual machines, and perhaps acquire access to online relevant servers or other machines or facilities that you can network with. That's my two cents worth.

My problem is as I said earlier, I don't know what I need to learn. My job requires simple linux commands so far. There's not much room for improvement there. So, I'm trying to take it on my own hands.
But I feel I am not getting anything.
These uni textbooks of networking are so basic that it annoys that I bought 5 of them :(

Staff online

Latest posts