Retro Arch API Is Small & Unresponsive on LM 21.1 {Solved}

Alexzee

Reaction score
Credits
After installing Retro Arch via the LM Software MGR it's so small that I can't read the sections in the Menu.
Clicking on each section in the Menu doesn't respond or open to that section I select. Instead, clicking on a section in the Menu just moves down to the next section and repeats.

How do I fix this?

Attachments

• RA Interface.png
    RA Interface.png
    412 KB · Views: 120

Tried installing the AppImage of Retro Arch too.
Can't work with it as the letters are missing and where letters should be it's all blocks.

Attachments

• RA AppImage.png
    RA AppImage.png
    502.5 KB · Views: 116
One last try was to install Retro Arch by flatpak. And that only produced the same results as my other post's.

Anyone else having this much trouble?

Attachments

• Flatpak of RA.png
    Flatpak of RA.png
    106.2 KB · Views: 117
  • RA Complete.png
    RA Complete.png
    157.9 KB · Views: 105
Leaving this alone for the weekend and taking a break I returned to it today.

One last attempt of installing RetroArch via the Software MGR in LM 21.1 failed again.
The API is either broken or my LM installation is missing libaries in order for this application to launch properly to show the font.

Looking at the configuration file (/etc/retroarch.cfg) I found that the Menu Driver is set to xmb which is what one would want. So that's set correctly. However; and (I'm not sure if this is correct) the image isn't set. It says in the config file that a default will be used if not set.
Further looking through the configuration file I didn't find 'display' or any thing close to that. At best I found image as I mentioned above.

Do I need to set this image manually?
If so what would the argument be so that the font displays correctly?

Attachments

• RA Flat.png
    RA Flat.png
    371.2 KB · Views: 107
  • Menu Driver.png
    Menu Driver.png
    268.1 KB · Views: 114
  • Image.png
    Image.png
    315.5 KB · Views: 113
Beyond my paygrade, Alex but I wonder if @f33dm3bits might have some inpppImage might be hampered by packages already there, and confuse the issue.

Good luck.

Chris

Installed the PPA and tried editing the retroarch.cfg file and changing the video driver from 'gl' to 'vulkan'.
Still unreadable text--

I'm confused as how to fix this. Anyone, any ideas?

Attachments

• Vulkan.png_001.png
    Vulkan.png_001.png
    466.9 KB · Views: 122
With assistance from hunterk, the Libretro PPA maintainer I was able to get Retro Arch installed. Tweaking the retroarch.cfg file many times over two days paid off.

Installing the PPA went well.

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libretro/stable
sudo apt update
Check your software sources first to ensure the PPA is there, then run the next command
sudo apt install retroarch

With this Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon installed on a Nvme, setting the menu-driver to "xmb" would not display all the font's and icons on the Main Menu. Nor would it show the rest of the sections or sub-sections either.
So, editing the retroarch.cfg and setting the menu_driver to "rgui" was a success.
I had to change the video_driver = from "gl" to "vulkan"

The frame count kept running for an hour so I had to stop that too. To do that I followed this path.
Settings> On Screen Display> On Screen Notification> Visibility> Display Frame Counter and turn it OFF.

The PPA maintainer stuck with me for several days and was incredibly skilled & helpful, kudos to: hunterk!

I'm off to find the Bios and Rom files I need:-

Cheers,
Alex

Attachments

• Retro Arch Right.png
    Retro Arch Right.png
    3 MB · Views: 130
  • Src's.png
    Src's.png
    118.4 KB · Views: 106
  • Vulkan.png_001.png
    Vulkan.png_001.png
    466.9 KB · Views: 147
Beyond my paygrade, Alex but I wonder if @f33dm3bits might have some inpppImage might be hampered by packages already there, and confuse the issue.
@Alexzee what were you having a problem with and trying to find a solution for, I wasn't quite following a long(even though I see that it is solved now)?

@Alexzee what were you having a problem with and trying to find a solution for, I wasn't quite following a long(even though I see that it is solved now)?
When I installed Retro Arch via the LM pkg, via the flatpac pkg, AppImage <or> by snap pkg, the API's display was broken. The text and the icons failed to display correctly.
So basically, just a jumbled bunch of white blocks that were unreadable.:)

FWIW, the PPA maintainer shared with me that with the snap pkg version installed there are issue's with the usb game pad not being recognized and users have to go through unplugged/replugged after every game.

the PPA maintainer shared with me that with the snap pkg version installed there are issue's with the usb game pad not being recognized and users have to go through unplugged/replugged after every game.
Probably has to do with that Snaps have some sort of sandbox built into them. Glad you got it solved though, I was just late to the party but thought I would ask what was up.

Probably has to do with that Snaps have some sort of sandbox built into them. Glad you got it solved though, I was just late to the party but thought I would ask what was up.
Can you give details on what sandboxing could be built into the Snaps?

BTW, Retro Arch launches but I still can't use "xmb" interface only "rgui" works. Hey that's ok I don't have to have a fancy menu.

Can you give details on what sandboxing could be built into the Snaps?
I really don't know anything about it except for that both Flatpaks and Snaps have a sandbox implementation and I haven't really used snaps. Probably best to read the documentation or a post where someone else explains it.

I really don't know anything about it except for that both Flatpaks and Snaps have a sandbox implementation and I haven't really used snaps. Probably best to read the documentation or a post where someone else explains it.

I'll have a look when I can. Have to go to work.

Good reading, thanks for posting the links.

Found out how to fix the interface.
Press F5 to get the desktop menu and go to View> Settings> Drivers>
and change "gl" to "glcore" exit and then re-launch Retro Arch.

Members online