[RESOLVED] Scanner problem, Epson Workforce 645, Linux Mint 16, Network

L

Leprechaun

I had no problem installing the software, including ISCAN and Network drivers. Printing works fine, but can't scan. (Heck, I can't even figure out how to launch the scanner, much less configure it.) EPSON website says:

Configure Image Scan! for Linux to connect to your device by editing /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf. You need administrative privileges to do so. Read the instructions in the file about network configuration and add an entry for your device as indicated.

Finally, disable the conflicting epson2 SANE backend. You can do so by changing the line consisting of "epson2" to "#epson2" in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf. This will require administrative privileges.​

I can't find a file with network configuration in it nor can I figure out what it wants me to do. I do know the IP address of my printer. As I said, I got 3 pieces of software related to ISCAN (base, data, and network) installed using dpkg with no problem.

I did see other topics below mentioning SANE. Is that a common scanner interface, the equivalent of CUPS? If so, is there a good doc to configure it? URL please?

Appreciate any help someone can offer.

I want to thank you VERY MUCH for the quick reply. I did load everything you suggested. xsane can see my printer and has the correct IP address, but when I try to scan, it gives me an error:

Failed to start scanner: Error during device I/O

A step in the right direction. I'll be doing more searching on the web.

This is RESOLVED. I managed to load something called Simple Scan, probably when I put in xsane. Anyway I went to the conf files listed in the initial message and entered default settings per comments in the files. That worked.

Thanks again, Arochester, for pointing me in the right direction.

Latest posts