Remove Remote Desktop

• Thread starter Deleted member 161260
  • Start date

Do you mean everything under sharing in the gnome settings menu or do you mean your username and password that are filled out in the screenshot?

a

Last edited by a moderator:
Remote security protocols are a not security flaw, they are even used on remote servers to access the system. If you want to remove those you have to remove the following packages.
Code:
gnome-remote-desktop
gnome-user-share
rygel
openssh

Last edited:
a

a

Care to share a screenshot of what you mean?

One useful tool in your toolkit could be lsof. It lists open files but can also list open network sockets. lsof -i is a quick way to list all the processes that are listening for network input. If you find any you don't like you can go from there, but knowing what the system is doing is half the battle.

aa

it is possible that removing gnome-remote-desktop also removed gnome-control-center which may be the settings app you are missing. this is a simulation of removing gnome-remote-desktop from an ubuntu 22.04 virtual machine:

Code:
apt remove -s gnome-remote-desktop
NOTE: This is only a simulation!
      apt needs root privileges for real execution.
      Keep also in mind that locking is deactivated,
      so don't depend on the relevance to the real current situation!
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  apg gnome-control-center-faces gnome-online-accounts libcolord-gtk1 libfreerdp-server2-2 libgsound0 libgssdp-1.2-0
  libgupnp-1.2-1 libgupnp-av-1.0-3 libgupnp-dlna-2.0-4 librygel-core-2.6-2 librygel-db-2.6-2 librygel-renderer-2.6-2
  librygel-server-2.6-2 libvncserver1 mobile-broadband-provider-info network-manager-gnome python3-certifi python3-macaroonbakery
  python3-protobuf python3-pymacaroons python3-requests python3-rfc3339 python3-tz rygel
Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following additional packages will be installed:
  gnome-control-center-data
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  gnome-control-center gnome-remote-desktop ubuntu-desktop ubuntu-desktop-minimal
The following packages will be upgraded:
  gnome-control-center-data
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 4 to remove and 162 not upgraded.
Remv ubuntu-desktop [1.481]
Remv ubuntu-desktop-minimal [1.481]
Remv gnome-control-center [1:41.7-0ubuntu0.22.04.6]
Remv gnome-remote-desktop [42.7-0ubuntu1]
Inst gnome-control-center-data [1:41.7-0ubuntu0.22.04.6] (1:41.7-0ubuntu0.22.04.7 Ubuntu:22.04/jammy-updates [all])
Conf gnome-control-center-data (1:41.7-0ubuntu0.22.04.7 Ubuntu:22.04/jammy-updates [all])

since gnome-remote-desktop is listed as a dependency of gnome-control-center: https://packages.ubuntu.com/jammy-updates/gnome-control-center

it seems likely you may need remote-desktop if you want control-center.

Dear sirs and ladies!

How do I completely remove all desktop-sharing or remote desktop-connections?

Thank you!
I would add firewall rules if you have one between machines in question. Although removing applications may help someone bent on doing it can easily install applications to do it.

The Settings App is gone. After executing:
That worked for me on Arch, I have no idea what distribution you are on. I kind of figured you would try it yourself and then make it work for you, based on the answer I gave of which worked for me.

a

Why do you even want to remove the packages, you can just flick the slider to the left/off and the all the sharing services will be disabled?

aa

I used to do like you (remove remote apps), that make the system unstable, so now I disable the services I don't like.
I dual boot EasyOS with another Linux, disable these services, and SELDOM save the system after each use.
I think we can compete for the paranoid first prize.;)

Services.png

Members online

Latest posts