Remote connect Ubuntu 20.04. LTS to Windows 10 Home using Remmina

mike_linux

Reaction score
Credits
Hello, I want to connect my Ubuntu 20.04 LTS laptop to my Windows 10 Home pc using Remmina, but despite I can ping the windows 10 pc I am not able to remote connect to it. I have enabled the remote access on the windows 10 home and also set in my firewall an exception for the laptop but the problem still remains. I also have tried this here but this doesn't help me. Does anybody has the same problem and knows how to fix it?.

Any luck on this, Mike? I would recommend TeamViewer instead. It's free for personal use and runs in Linux, Windows, and Mac. I only use it for "attended" remote access to help family with troubleshooting problems, but it will do "unattended" connections too. Whichever you use, be sure to keep tight security measures on it. Leaving your home computer always open to internet connections is pretty risky if not carefully configured.

You may need a Windows forum to help with your home PC settings.

You may need to enable "port forwarding" on your home router to allow connections (besides ping).

Any luck on this, Mike? I would recommend TeamViewer instead.
I wouldn't use TeamViewer if you are connecting on a local system on your LAN because with TeamViewr you connect to their servers and then back to the other system running it. I'll see if I can get it to work with my Windows10 vm.

I had the same problem as you, had allowed "Remote Desktop" through the firewall but I wasn't able to connect. I did the following to get it to work.
1. Open the filemanager.
2. Right click on "This PC" and select properties.
3. On the left side click on "Remote settings"
4. Under "Remote Desktop", tick on "Allow remote connections to this computer" and than click Apply/OK.
5. Now you should be able to connect to your Windows 10 using Remmina.

I had the same problem as you, had allowed "Remote Desktop" through the firewall but I wasn't able to connect. I did the following to get it to work.
1. Open the filemanager.
2. Right click on "This PC" and select properties.
3. On the left side click on "Remote settings"
4. Under "Remote Desktop", tick on "Allow remote connections to this computer" and than click Apply/OK.
5. Now you should be able to connect to your Windows 10 using Remmina.
I have tried this but there is no tick that I can apply. In windows 10 home there is no such option. Instead, there is a message appearing which says the following:
Your Home edition of Windows 10 doesn't support Remote Desktop.

Any luck on this, Mike? I would recommend TeamViewer instead. It's free for personal use and runs in Linux, Windows, and Mac. I only use it for "attended" remote access to help family with troubleshooting problems, but it will do "unattended" connections too. Whichever you use, be sure to keep tight security measures on it. Leaving your home computer always open to internet connections is pretty risky if not carefully configured.

You may need a Windows forum to help with your home PC settings.

You may need to enable "port forwarding" on your home router to allow connections (besides ping).
Hi @stan unfortunately I did not have any luck maybe to use TeamViewer is the better solution, but as I could see most people use remmina because it connects not during a server but peer-to-peer.

Your Home edition of Windows 10 Doesn't support Remote Desktop.
If Windows 10 Home doesn't support Remote Desktop than @Lord Boltar's suggestion isn't going to work either.
Have a look here

If he has the RDP wrapper installed, then Remmina should work!
Remmina is definitely the simplest and most direct way to connect via RDP.

Since the first lockdown last year, I’ve been using Remmina to connect to my Windows workstation (in my bedroom) from my Linux laptop - via WiFi. Allowing me to work from anywhere in the house (or garden when it’s not pouring with rain!!). That saved me from being cooped up in my room the whole time that I’ve been working from home! Ha ha!

@Lord Boltar I have followed this guide, but after executing install.bat (msi does not work) as an admin I get this outpout and not the desired one shown in the guide. I have extracted all the zip files as described.

Executing install.bat
rdp.JPG

Executing dir to list the content of the folder
output.JPG

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Run install. bat first then run update.bat as admin the files get installed but are not updated to the system until you run update.bat - also there is an updated ini file which is here
There is also an autoupdater here
I have run the install.bat properly using admin rights in the
"%ProgramFiles%\RDP Wrapper"
folder but the same result. At night when I come home I will try your second link and post if I manage to fix the issue (I don't really believe that this will fix the issue).

I have run the install.bat properly using admin rights in the folder but the same result. At night when I come home I will try your second link and post if I manage to fix the issue (I don't really believe that this will fix the issue).
Did you run update.bat? you don't say if you did or not

Did you run update.bat? you don't say if you did or not
Sorry, forgoten to mention Yes but the same behavior. I have tried to run
autoupdate.bat
(before I issued autoupdate__enable_autorun_on_startup.bat) as admin but the window closes so quickly that I cannot see anything. I have tried then to see via RDPConf.exe if the process was completed but I get the error that Listener state is Not listening. So I can conclude that it doesn't worked. To summarize, I have tried install.bat, update.bat, autoupdate__enable_autorun_on_startup.bat and autoupdate.bat but nothing worked.

Last edited:
Try a different ini file
just copy and paste the above to notepad and save as rdpwrap.ini - in Firefox it would be Edit-Select All then right click copy and paste into notepad save as rdpwrap.ini

It is likely that Windows Defender or some other "protections" has taken out the service; you need to use the right INI file that supports this and you need to create an exception for the "C:\Program Files\RDP Wrapper" directory. The key is to have an ini entry that matches the version you're having issues with

Try a different ini file
just copy and paste the above to notepad and save as rdpwrap.ini - in Firefox it would be Edit-Select All then right click copy and paste into notepad save as rdpwrap.ini

It is likely that Windows Defender or some other "protections" has taken out the service; you need to use the right INI file that supports this and you need to create an exception for the "C:\Program Files\RDP Wrapper" directory. The key is to have an ini entry that matches the version you're having issues with
I have created the ini file in my C:\Program Files\RDP Wrapper folder added the exception to bitdefender and issued the above install, update and autoupdate commands (as admin), but nothing happened. To understand it right, after creating the ini file using the content of the link you posted I have to run the autoupdate__enable_autorun_on_startup. bat (here I get a SUCCESS message) and then the autoupdate.bat one right? In other words, I did everthing mentioned in the below guide:

1. Download "RDPWrap-v1.6.2.zip" LINK#1 or LINK#2 and extract all files to the "%ProgramFiles%\RDP Wrapper" directory
    DO NOT use other directories to install/extract the RDP Wrapper files. USE ONLY the "%ProgramFiles%\RDP Wrapper" directory (normally C:\Program Files\RDP Wrapper)
  2. Download autoupdate.zip and extract all files to the "%ProgramFiles%\RDP Wrapper" directory
  3. To enable autorun of autoupdate.bat on system startup, run the following helper batch file as administrator:
    "%ProgramFiles%\RDP Wrapper\helper\autoupdate__enable_autorun_on_startup.bat"
  4. Set in your Antivirus or Windows Defender an exclusion on the folder "%ProgramFiles%\RDP Wrapper" to prevent the deletion of RDP Wrapper files
  5. Now you can use the autoupdate batch file to install and update the RDP Wrapper. Please run autoupdate.bat as administrator:
    "%ProgramFiles%\RDP Wrapper\autoupdate.bat"

which version of Windows your device is running, press the Windows logo key + R, type
Code:
winver
in the Open box, and then select OK. the RDPwrapper.ini needs to match your Windows version - video here -
- if it was successful reboot.
If it still does not work you can either choose to use a free VNC alternative or upgrade your Windows 10 Home license to a Pro edition license by purchasing a digital upgrade code - I have pretty much exhausted my knowledge here.
Not being able nor permitted to work around bugs and problems in Windows is one of the top reasons why I choose Linux over Windows. I just find it so damned frustrating.

which version of Windows your device is running, press the Windows logo key + R, type
Code:
winver
in the Open box, and then select OK. the RDPwrapper.ini needs to match your Windows version - video here -
- if it was successful reboot.
If it still does not work you can either choose to use a free VNC alternative or upgrade your Windows 10 Home license to a Pro edition license by purchasing a digital upgrade code - I have pretty much exhausted my knowledge here.
Not being able nor permitted to work around bugs and problems in Windows is one of the top reasons why I choose Linux over Windows. I just find it so damned frustrating.
Capture.JPG

THX, I will look after how the video explains. I agree with you, I am working seriously on robotics and computer vision projects and I don't want to think of windows for such projects. I am developing under Ubuntu and all works fine without any issues. Windows is bull... in my eyes. Only suitable for users not developers or admins.

Members online