Read-only filesystem

M

Mitt Green

Hi!

My Nokia Lumia 520 changed file-permissions on my MicroSDHC to read-only filesystem somehow. After digging a lot of forums I found that this is typical Windowsoid, and even that I found for Linux is not helpful for me. I formatted SD on Lumia, but still have WPSystem folder, in which I got WPSettings.dat. Unable to cut them, and to paste something over there. Of course, using GParted I see "Unable to format, read-only filesystem".

Thank ye!

This is a very common question - "Why is my memory-card/flash-drive read-only all of a sudden?".

First, check to see if the card has a switch on it (physically). Switch it to "read-only" and then back to normal while the card is not plugged into the computer.

Now, for a commonly unknown possibility. Memory-cards and flash-drives have a special feature that allows them to put themselves in read-only-mode. They do this if they detect that they contain corrupted data or they feel they will become corrupted. You must save your files onto another storage device. Then, try to reformat, preferably as Root user and force the format to happen. Try using "fdisk".

This is a very common question - "Why is my memory-card/flash-drive read-only all of a sudden?".

First, check to see if the card has a switch on it (physically). Switch it to "read-only" and then back to normal while the card is not plugged into the computer.

Now, for a commonly unknown possibility. Memory-cards and flash-drives have a special feature that allows them to put themselves in read-only-mode. They do this if they detect that they contain corrupted data or they feel they will become corrupted. You must save your files onto another storage device. Then, try to reformat, preferably as Root user and force the format to happen. Try using "fdisk".
I think it's a Windows' mistake actually.
I bought a new phone in which Blackberry 10 allows user to turn-on USB Mass Storage which means after plugging via USB it mounts immediately and one can add anything to the card. Also Blackberry 10 allows user to format MicroSD. Blackberry 10, by the way, is a Unix-like operating system from QNX family. It also has a terminal emulator in the market.

Members online

Latest posts