ranger file manger

Leonardo_B

Reaction score
Credits
I have the default configurations copy by typing in terminal
Code:
ranger --copy--config-all

I am new to ranger . So i still learning, what do i need to do see external hard drive on ranger and pricture preview

It is installed for me on Manjaro MATE but not on KDE. (scratch head)

It's easy to crash it.

man ranger

Otherwise to have a chance to see anything away from regular user's home directory, might have to do this at the command line:

Code:
$ ranger /

This has way too many ways to open Nano on a text file LOL so I don't know how to get it to display a visual image. Might have to read the manual and set file associations for a command such as calling Ristretto, Viewnior, or Gwenview on KDE or other such program.

I have the default configurations copy by typing in terminal
Code:
ranger --copy--config-all

I am new to ranger . So i still learning, what do i need to do see external hard drive on ranger and pricture preview

Hi,

with df -h you can see where your external hard drive. Than you can go to this dir. In Linux the most things are dirs and files.

Hi,

with df -h you can see where your external hard drive. Than you can go to this dir. In Linux the most things are dirs and files.
The thing is that "ranger" might have to be told exactly where to open. Might be able to do something like this:

Code:
/run/media/(user)/MYDISK $ ranger

and it would open into that directory.

"(user)" without parenthesis and double-quotation marks is the name of your regular user's account.

The volume of the disk you seek after will be different from "MYDISK". A disk which doesn't have a label might instead be given a really ugly long UUID. Especially if it's a Linux OS installed into an external USB disk.

On Debian and anything based on it (including Linux Mint, Ubuntu etc.) remove "slosh-run" from the front of the above code entry example. In other words "/media" directory is directly under "/" (ROOT) rather than under "/run".

EDIT: Pay attention to this page inside README.md under "Optional Dependencies" if you expect to view PNG files and that sort of thing:

EDIT #2: I just tried on Manjaro MATE, navigating somewhere into my "Pictures" directory. "ranger" is set up to call upon Eye of MATE to display JPEG or PNG. Otherwise in the very least Imagemagick has to be installed and a viewer such as Ristretto.

Last edited:
You could use feh to view images on a console, maybe it can be linked in, (nano or vi for text files).

Members online

Latest posts