Pycharm not starting

Mattyp77

Reaction score
Credits
Hey so I made a bit of a boo boo the other day. Im running the latest version of Linux Mint. The other day I was using Pycharm and something pulled me away from the computer. I left it on thinking Id be back soon. Unfortunately I was gone for hours and it was left un monitored. When I did get back It was basically locked up. The mouse was barely moving and keys and clicks werent doing anything. So I had to do a hard shut down. Not sure why It acted like that. I do have a pretty old setup but that still doesnt normally happen. Hope it wasnt a virus or something. Anyway ever since then I have not been able to open Pycharm. I keep getting this error message " Start Failed: Could connect to already running IDE. Esception: Process 2 still running." I dont see any pycharm processes running in the task manager nor with terminal "ps aux | grep pycharm". Whats going on? Should I just try a reinstall?
pchrm not running.png

This is not going to help you today. It may help you in the future, should you face a frozen device again.

Well, I should say 'when' not 'should', 'cause it's probably going to happen.

The key here is REISUB and you can remember it easily because it spells BUSIER backwards. That and the Alt + SysReq key are your friends.

(Everyone should know this information. Always try this before doing a hard reset. Even if it doesn't appear to work, it may be doing some of the tasks behind the scenes. So, always remember BUSIER in reverse.)

It sounds like PyCharm encountered an unexpected error during the lock up that caused it to not shutdown cleanly. As a result, the PyCharm background process is still running even though it's not visible. A few things you could try:
  • Reboot your system fully to kill any lingering processes. Then try opening PyCharm again.
  • Manually kill any python or PyCharm processes using sudo killall python and sudo killall pycharm in the terminal.
  • Delete the PyCharm lock files which store the PID of running processes. They are usually in ~/.PyCharmXX/ or ~/.config/PyCharmXX/
  • Use lsof | grep PyCharm to check if any files/sockets related to PyCharm are still open and prevent launching.
  • As a last resort, do a reinstall of PyCharm after backing up settings and projects. Make sure to do a clean uninstall before reinstalling.
  • Monitor system resource usage to see if anything is overtaxed. Upgrade hardware if needed.
In most cases, a reboot, manual process kill, and deleting lock files should clear the error. Make sure to shut PyCharm properly going forward to avoid this issue.

It sounds like PyCharm encountered an unexpected error during the lock up that caused it to not shutdown cleanly. As a result, the PyCharm background process is still running even though it's not visible. A few things you could try:
  • Reboot your system fully to kill any lingering processes. Then try opening PyCharm again.
  • Manually kill any python or PyCharm processes using sudo killall python and sudo killall pycharm in the terminal.
  • Delete the PyCharm lock files which store the PID of running processes. They are usually in ~/.PyCharmXX/ or ~/.config/PyCharmXX/
  • Use lsof | grep PyCharm to check if any files/sockets related to PyCharm are still open and prevent launching.
  • As a last resort, do a reinstall of PyCharm after backing up settings and projects. Make sure to do a clean uninstall before reinstalling.
  • Monitor system resource usage to see if anything is overtaxed. Upgrade hardware if needed.
In most cases, a reboot, manual process kill, and deleting lock files should clear the error. Make sure to shut PyCharm properly going forward to avoid this issue.
Thanks for your response but i have got it figured out now. I think in my post I may have said that I searched for the. lock file and couldn't find anything. But I did end up finding it later and deleting the file did solve the problem. I think I was originally searching for the lock for with a capital L and that's why I couldn't find it. So anyway. Problem solved. Thanks everyone!

Members online