Project zomboid ram allocation?

Hillbilly H

Reaction score
Credits
Hello Tux i need to know how to permanently allocate more ram to Steam Project zomboid game.
im using the Linux Mint 21 Distro.

Hello Tux i need to know how to permanently allocate more ram to Steam Project zomboid game.
im using the Linux Mint 21 Distro.
Hey dude! To allocate more RAM to Steam and the Project Zomboid game on Linux Mint 21, you can use a launch option in Steam. Here's what you can do:

1. Open Steam and go to your Library.
2. Right-click on Project Zomboid and select "Properties."
3. In the Properties window, click on "Set Launch Options."
4. A text field will appear. Enter the following line:
-Xmx<number>G -Xms<number>G
Replace <number> with the amount of RAM you want to allocate in gigabytes. For example, if you want to allocate 4 GB of RAM, the line will be -Xmx4G -Xms4G.

5. Click "OK" to save the launch options.
6. Close the Properties window and start the game. Steam will now allocate the specified amount of RAM to the game.

That's it, bro! You'll now have more RAM dedicated to playing Project Zomboid. Enjoy surviving the zombie apocalypse! If you have any other questions, shoot!

Are you sure this information is up to date?
The properties window does not have "Set Launch Options."

Are you sure this information is up to date?
The properties window does not have "Set Launch Options."
My bad, dude. I apologize for the outdated information. You're right, the Properties window in the current version of Steam for Linux does not have a "Set Launch Options" button. Let me give you the updated method to allocate more RAM to Project Zomboid:

3. In the Properties window, click on the "General" tab.
4. Click on the "Set Launch Options" button.
5. A text field will appear. Enter the following line:
Replace <number> with the amount of RAM you want to allocate in gigabytes. For example, if you want to allocate 4 GB of RAM, the line will be -Xmx4G -Xms4G.

6. Click "OK" to save the launch options.
7. Close the Properties window and start the game. Steam will now allocate the specified amount of RAM to the game.

There you go, bro! Give it a try and let me know if it works. If you have any other questions or need further assistance, feel free to ask!

Under the "General" tab it does not have "Set Launch Options." it has Launch Options and a drop down menu with no way to allocate more RAM.

Under the "General" tab it does not have "Set Launch Options." it has Launch Options and a drop down menu with no way to allocate more RAM.
Apologies once again, dude. It seems like I gave you incorrect information again. I appreciate your patience.

In the current version of Steam, the option to set launch options for games is located under the Launch Options section for each individual game. However, some games may not support modifying the RAM allocation through launch options directly within Steam.

In the case of Project Zomboid, you can try the following alternative method to allocate more RAM:

1. Open a terminal on your Linux Mint system.
2. Navigate to the game's installation directory by running the command:
Code:
   cd ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Project\ Zomboid
3. Once you're in the game's directory, open the "ProjectZomboid64.sh" file using a text editor. You can use the following command:
Code:
   nano ProjectZomboid64.sh
If "nano" is not your preferred text editor, you can replace it with your desired one.
4. Look for a line in the file that starts with RUN_JAVA, and add the following options after it:
Code:
Again, replace <number> with the amount of RAM you want to allocate in gigabytes.

5. Save the changes to the file and exit the text editor.
6. Launch the Project Zomboid game through Steam as usual.

This method modifies the launch script directly and should allocate the specified amount of RAM to the game. Give it a try, bro! Don't hesitate to reach out if you need any further assistance or have any other questions.

Using
Code:
in terminal i get bash: cd: /home/t/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Project Zomboid: No such file or directory

Using
Code:
in terminal i get bash: cd: /home/t/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Project Zomboid: No such file or directory
My bad, dude. It looks like I made another mistake. I apologize for the confusion. Let's try another approach to allocate more RAM to Project Zomboid:

3. In the Properties window, click on the "Local Files" tab.
4. Click on the "Browse Local Files" button. This will open the game's installation directory in the file manager.
5. In the file manager, locate the file named "ProjectZomboid64.sh" or "ProjectZomboid.sh" (depending on your system).
6. Right-click on the file and select "Open with" and choose a text editor of your choice.
7. Look for a line that starts with RUN_JAVA or java.
8. Add the following options after it:
Code:
Replace <number> with the amount of RAM you want to allocate in gigabytes.

9. Save the changes to the file and close the text editor.
10. Launch Project Zomboid through Steam as you normally would.

This method allows you to modify the launch script directly to allocate the desired amount of RAM to the game. Give it a shot, and sorry for the confusion earlier! If you have any more questions or need further assistance, feel free to ask.

When i open ProjectZomboid.sh with a text editor there is not a line that starts with RUN_JAVA or java. This is what text editor shows.

#!/bin/bash
#
# projectzomboid.sh
#
###############################################################################

SCRIPT="basename \"$0\""
GAMEDIR="${HOME}/Zomboid"
LOGFILE="${GAMEDIR}/${SCRIPT}.log"
INSTDIR="dirname \"$0\""/projectzomboid ; cd "${INSTDIR}" ; INSTDIR="pwd"

[[ ! -d "${GAMEDIR}" ]] && mkdir -m 0755 "${GAMEDIR}"

#if [ ! -e "${INSTDIR}/jre64/lib/amd64/server/libjsig.so" ] ; then
# echo "creating symbolic link amd64/server/libjsig.so"
# ln -s "../libjsig.so" "${INSTDIR}/jre64/lib/amd64/server/libjsig.so"
#fi
#if [ ! -e "${INSTDIR}/jre/lib/i386/client/libjsig.so" ] ; then
# echo "creating symbolic link i386/client/libjsig.so"
# ln -s "../libjsig.so" "${INSTDIR}/jre/lib/i386/client/libjsig.so"
#fi
#if [ ! -e "${INSTDIR}/jre/lib/i386/server/libjsig.so" ] ; then
# echo "creating symbolic link i386/server/libjsig.so"
# ln -s "../libjsig.so" "${INSTDIR}/jre/lib/i386/server/libjsig.so"
#fi

if "${INSTDIR}/jre64/bin/java" -version > /dev/null 2>&1; then
echo "64-bit java detected"
export PATH="${INSTDIR}/jre64/bin:$PATH"
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="${INSTDIR}/linux64:${INSTDIR}:${INSTDIR}/jre64/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}"
JSIG="libjsig.so"
# XMODIFIERS is cleared here to prevent SCIM screwing up keyboard input
XMODIFIERS= LD_PRELOAD="${LD_PRELOAD}:${JSIG}:libPZXInitThreads64.so" ./ProjectZomboid64 "$@" >"${LOGFILE}"
elif "${INSTDIR}/jre/bin/java" -client -version > /dev/null 2>&1; then
echo "32-bit java detected"
export PATH="${INSTDIR}/jre/bin:$PATH"
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="${INSTDIR}/linux32:${INSTDIR}:${INSTDIR}/jre/lib/i386:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}"
JSIG="libjsig.so"
XMODIFIERS= LD_PRELOAD="${LD_PRELOAD}:${JSIG}:libPZXInitThreads32.so" ./ProjectZomboid32 "$@" >"${LOGFILE}"
else
echo "couldn't determine 32/64 bit of java"
fi
exit 0

#
# EOF
#

When i open ProjectZomboid.sh with a text editor there is not a line that starts with RUN_JAVA or java. This is what text editor shows.

#!/bin/bash
#
# projectzomboid.sh
#

SCRIPT="basename \"$0\""
GAMEDIR="${HOME}/Zomboid"
LOGFILE="${GAMEDIR}/${SCRIPT}.log"
INSTDIR="dirname \"$0\""/projectzomboid ; cd "${INSTDIR}" ; INSTDIR="pwd"

[[ ! -d "${GAMEDIR}" ]] && mkdir -m 0755 "${GAMEDIR}"

#if [ ! -e "${INSTDIR}/jre64/lib/amd64/server/libjsig.so" ] ; then
# echo "creating symbolic link amd64/server/libjsig.so"
# ln -s "../libjsig.so" "${INSTDIR}/jre64/lib/amd64/server/libjsig.so"
#fi
#if [ ! -e "${INSTDIR}/jre/lib/i386/client/libjsig.so" ] ; then
# echo "creating symbolic link i386/client/libjsig.so"
# ln -s "../libjsig.so" "${INSTDIR}/jre/lib/i386/client/libjsig.so"
#fi
#if [ ! -e "${INSTDIR}/jre/lib/i386/server/libjsig.so" ] ; then
# echo "creating symbolic link i386/server/libjsig.so"
# ln -s "../libjsig.so" "${INSTDIR}/jre/lib/i386/server/libjsig.so"
#fi

if "${INSTDIR}/jre64/bin/java" -version > /dev/null 2>&1; then
echo "64-bit java detected"
export PATH="${INSTDIR}/jre64/bin:$PATH"
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="${INSTDIR}/linux64:${INSTDIR}:${INSTDIR}/jre64/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}"
JSIG="libjsig.so"
XMODIFIERS= LD_PRELOAD="${LD_PRELOAD}:${JSIG}:libPZXInitThreads64.so" ./ProjectZomboid64 "$@" >"${LOGFILE}"
elif "${INSTDIR}/jre/bin/java" -client -version > /dev/null 2>&1; then
echo "32-bit java detected"
export PATH="${INSTDIR}/jre/bin:$PATH"
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="${INSTDIR}/linux32:${INSTDIR}:${INSTDIR}/jre/lib/i386:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}"
JSIG="libjsig.so"
XMODIFIERS= LD_PRELOAD="${LD_PRELOAD}:${JSIG}:libPZXInitThreads32.so" ./ProjectZomboid32 "$@" >"${LOGFILE}"
else
echo "couldn't determine 32/64 bit of java"
fi
exit 0

#
# EOF
#
Apologies once again for the confusion, dude. It looks like the launch script for Project Zomboid doesn't have a specific line for modifying RAM allocation. In that case, we can try a different approach by creating a wrapper script. Here's what you can do:

1. Open a text editor and create a new file.
2. Copy and paste the following code into the new file:

Bash:
#!/bin/bash

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="[INSERT_PATH_TO_ZOMBOID_FOLDER]/jre64/lib/amd64/server:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}"
export _JAVA_OPTIONS="-Xmx<number>G -Xms<number>G"

[INSERT_PATH_TO_ZOMBOID_FOLDER]/ProjectZomboid64 "$@"

Replace [INSERT_PATH_TO_ZOMBOID_FOLDER] with the actual path to the Project Zomboid installation folder.

3. In the _JAVA_OPTIONS line, replace [<number>] with the desired amount of RAM you want to allocate in gigabytes.

4. Save the file with a name like ProjectZomboidWrapper.sh in a convenient location.

5. Open a terminal and navigate to the location where you saved the wrapper script.

6. Make the script executable by running the following command:

Bash:
chmod +x ProjectZomboidWrapper.sh

7. Launch Project Zomboid by running the wrapper script:

Bash:
./ProjectZomboidWrapper.sh

This wrapper script sets the necessary environment variables to allocate the specified amount of RAM before launching Project Zomboid.

I apologize for the previous confusion, and I hope this method works for you. Let me know if you have further questions or need assistance!

How do i find the actual path to the Project Zomboid installation folder?

How do i find the actual path to the Project Zomboid installation folder?
To find the actual path to the Project Zomboid installation folder, you can follow these steps:

3. In the Properties window, click on the "Local Files" tab.
4. Click on the "Browse Local Files" button. This will open the game's installation directory in your file manager.
5. In the file manager, locate the folder for Project Zomboid. It should have a similar name to "ProjectZomboid" or "ProjectZomboid64".
6. Right-click on the folder and select "Properties" or "Get Info", depending on your file manager.
7. The "Properties" or "Get Info" window will display the location or path of the folder. It will be something like "/home/username/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/ProjectZomboid".

That path displayed in the Properties or Get Info window is the actual path to the Project Zomboid installation folder. You can copy it from there and use it in the previous steps when creating the wrapper script.

I apologize for the previous confusion, and I hope this clarifies the process. If you have any more questions or need further assistance, feel free to ask!

i saved the wrapper script to my desktop. How do i find it in terminal?

i saved the wrapper script to my desktop. How do i find it in terminal?
To find the location of the wrapper script on your desktop in the terminal, you can follow these steps:

1. Open a terminal by pressing Ctrl+Alt+T.
2. Use the cd command to change to your desktop directory. In most cases, the desktop directory for a user is located at /home/username/Desktop. Replace username with your actual username.
Code:
   cd ~/Desktop
3. To list the contents of the directory and find your wrapper script, you can use the ls command:
Code:
   ls
This will display the files and folders on your desktop, including your wrapper script.
4. Look for the name of the wrapper script you created. It should be listed there.
5. Once you've identified the wrapper script, you can use the cd command followed by the name of the script to change into that directory.
Code:
   cd ProjectZomboidWrapper.sh
Note: Replace ProjectZomboidWrapper.sh with the actual name of your wrapper script if it's different.

Now you're in the directory where the wrapper script is located. From here, you can continue with the steps mentioned earlier to make the script executable and launch Project Zomboid.

Apologies for any confusion, and I hope this helps! Feel free to reach out if you have any further questions.

Terminal tells me
bash: cd: ProjectZomboidWrapper.sh: Not a directory
Did i do something wrong?

Terminal tells me
bash: cd: ProjectZomboidWrapper.sh: Not a directory
Did i do something wrong?
My apologies for the confusion, dude. It seems like I made a mistake. The wrapper script is not a directory, but rather an executable file. So, you don't need to change to its location in the terminal.

To make the wrapper script executable and launch Project Zomboid, follow these steps:

1. Open a terminal.

2. Navigate to your desktop directory using the following command:
Code:
   cd ~/Desktop

3. Make the wrapper script executable by running the following command:
Code:
   chmod +x ProjectZomboidWrapper.sh

4. Execute the wrapper script by running:
Code:
   ./ProjectZomboidWrapper.sh

This should launch Project Zomboid with the desired RAM allocation specified in the wrapper script.

Once again, sorry for the confusion. If you have any further questions or need additional assistance, feel free to let me know!

./ProjectZomboidWrapper.sh does not launch Project Zomboid.

./ProjectZomboidWrapper.sh does not launch Project Zomboid.
Apologies for the confusion. If running the wrapper script does not launch Project Zomboid, there might be a few things we can try to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Double-check the path in the wrapper script: Open the wrapper script in a text editor and verify that the path to the Project Zomboid executable is correct. Ensure that it matches the actual path to the Project Zomboid executable on your system.

2. Verify file permissions: Make sure the wrapper script has executable permissions. You can do this by running the following command in the terminal:
Code:
   chmod +x ~/Desktop/ProjectZomboidWrapper.sh

3. Check for error messages: After running the wrapper script, check the terminal for any error messages that might provide clues about the issue. If there are any error messages, let me know what they say so we can further troubleshoot.

4. Try launching Project Zomboid without the wrapper script: Open a terminal and navigate to the Project Zomboid installation directory. Then try executing the ProjectZomboid64 or ProjectZomboid32 binary directly. For example:
Code:
   cd [INSERT_PATH_TO_ZOMBOID_FOLDER]
   ./ProjectZomboid64
Replace [INSERT_PATH_TO_ZOMBOID_FOLDER] with the actual path to the Project Zomboid installation folder.

If Project Zomboid launches successfully without using the wrapper script, there might be an issue with the script itself.

Please try these steps and let me know the results. If you encounter any issues or have further questions, feel free to ask. My goal is to help you get Project Zomboid up and running smoothly.

Staff online

Members online