[Problem] Can't boot linux anymore

Mark.P

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,

I want to boot linux from usb, but when I boot it it just restarts PC by itself. I recently upgraded to Win11 and since then I can' boot any linux distro. I tried several distros like Fedora, Kubuntu, Linux Mint but no luck with any of them. I used to have linux installed and it booted normaly, but now cant boot anything. Secure boot and fastboot are disabled. I use desktop pc with Ryzen CPU and Nvidia GPU. Does anyone know what's the problem?

If you have run Windows updates then it's not surprising, [ search the web for windows broke my Linux]
start by going back into the settings and make sure secure boot and fast boot [quickstart] are still disabled [wind updates has a habit of re-initiating them]

They are disabled, i checked before writhing this, and I had linux installed before but deleted it as I didn't used it anymore

How did you go about deleting it ?

You can tell windows to do a restart and boot from other media or get into the uefi setup. No idea where you do this though...

To the topic starter: Welcome to the forums. You didn't say what model of computer you have.

I had to rewrite most of this comment. There has to be an EFI file on the external USB media; if not the computer will refuse to boot anything from there.

Sadly, this depends entirely on the ISO that the operating system is distributed in. Most could work booting with EFI, but a few of them don't work no matter what is tried. It will depend also on where the ISO is being copied to and how it's being copied. If it's being copied to an external USB disk of 32GB or something like that, the right program to choose on Windows to do it is a pain, because none of them could work properly for a given distro for an ISO file. Only if Linux were available then it's as simple as the "data destroyer".

I don't know that much about desktop "tower" systems but there should be a procedure to stop the computer temporarily from going into the boot process. The trigger key should be ESC or F12, or it might be a special one on the keyboard or on the computer case. (shrugs) I wouldn't understand the joy of building a desktop computer, for gaming or anything else, if it were very limited in options such as which operating system to boot into.

With what program did you copy the iso to usb stick ? Best option to use is balena edger… And did you verify the downloaded iso with it’s checksum ?
Cheers,
Eddy

With what program did you copy the iso to usb stick ? Best option to use is balena edger… And did you verify the downloaded iso with it’s checksum
Cheers,
Eddy
I used balena etcher and verifyed it so that's not a problem

Hello,

I want to boot linux from usb, but when I boot it it just restarts PC by itself. I recently upgraded to Win11 and since then I can' boot any linux distro. I tried several distros like Fedora, Kubuntu, Linux Mint but no luck with any of them. I used to have linux installed and it booted normaly, but now cant boot anything. Secure boot and fastboot are disabled. I use desktop pc with Ryzen CPU and Nvidia GPU. Does anyone know what's the problem?
you are using a desktop so my advice is to just redo everything correctly from the start. I wrote a post about multi boot for desktops.

This method will stop windows and any other system from interfering with the others.

Members online