Printer Driver for Epson Printer

Bob A

Reaction score
Credits
I'm trying to find and install a Linux driver that will work with my new Epson XP-1600 printer. Been trying for 2 days.

I'm trying to find and install a Linux driver that will work with my new Epson XP-1600 printer.
I can't find that model, not even on Epson's website. Any chance you mean XP-6100 instead? If yes, you can download a driver direct from Epson (here) by entering the model number and Linux as the operating system. It will offer you separate drivers for printing and scanning, and you may need both. I use HP and I'm not familiar with this process, so maybe others will have better advice. Don't choose the ARM downloads unless you have an ARM computer (like Raspberry Pi, etc).

When you actually get to the downloads, you need to know whether to download RPM or DEB files.... this choice depends on which Linux you are using. Hopefully you already understand the difference between them and know which you need. Good luck!

Last edited:
Epson 1600 is a scanner, not a printer. Typo probably. The post above is correct. Go to link below to search for you proper model. Many distributions have pre-compiled binaries in their repositories. I use an Epson printer daily on my Linux system. Work perfectly.

I can't find that model, not even on Epson's website.
Yes, I also cannot find that model. I noticed his question from the beginning but I didn't answer because I cannot find the model.
Any chance you mean XP-6100 instead?
Agreed and that could be the case since the drivers for that model exist.
To the OP, this is how you can install an EPSON printer driver on Linux.

Last edited:
I can't find that model, not even on Epson's website. Any chance you mean XP-6100 instead? If yes, you can download a driver direct from Epson (here) by entering the model number and Linux as the operating system. It will offer you separate drivers for printing and scanning, and you may need both. I use HP and I'm not familiar with this process, so maybe others will have better advice. Don't choose the ARM downloads unless you have an ARM computer (like Raspberry Pi, etc).

When you actually get to the downloads, you need to know whether to download RPM or DEB files.... this choice depends on which Linux you are using. Hopefully you already understand the difference between them and know which you need. Good luck!
Thanks for your reply. Yes that is a typo. It is the Epson XP-6100. I've tried your suggestion and have had no luck with the choices for my printer and Linux. I keep getting a message that "An Error Occurred" or "Broken Dependencies." I must be missing a step before doing this?

G'day Bob, Welcome to Linux.org

Which operating system are you running ?....Linux?....Ubuntu?...which version?

Have you tried the "Print- driver espcr" for epsom ink jets it is in the package manager

Then try this....also in repositories

ipp-usb

(be aware that your ubuntu is past end of life)

Laptop is Ubuntu 18.04
Desktop is Ubuntu 16.04
As @Condobloke indicated... your desktop Ubuntu (16.04) has reached end-of-life and is no longer supported. That means you can't update it to fix broken dependencies. You should upgrade it to 18.04 or 20.04 when you can. Open a new thread on that if you need help.

So, only use your laptop to try to make your printer work, and make sure it is fully updated. Also, although your printer is wireless, I would recommend that you connect the printer to the laptop with a printer cable first to install your drivers and get it all working. Wireless usually falls into place more easily after making it work on a cable. This may not be strictly necessary, but I find that by using a cable you are only fighting a printer/driver problem, and not a networking problem too.

And just to double-check, it is the DEB files that you need to download from Epson for Ubuntu.

As @Condobloke indicated... your desktop Ubuntu (16.04) has reached end-of-life and is no longer supported. That means you can't update it to fix broken dependencies. You should upgrade it to 18.04 or 20.04 when you can. Open a new thread on that if you need help.

So, only use your laptop to try to make your printer work, and make sure it is fully updated. Also, although your printer is wireless, I would recommend that you connect the printer to the laptop with a printer cable first to install your drivers and get it all working. Wireless usually falls into place more easily after making it work on a cable. This may not be strictly necessary, but I find that by using a cable you are only fighting a printer/driver problem, and not a networking problem too.

And just to double-check, it is the DEB files that you need to download from Epson for Ubuntu.
I have been trying on both. Will upgrade os on desktop. Will connect printer by cable and keep trying. Thanks!

I have been trying on both. Will upgrade os on desktop. Will connect printer by cable and keep trying. Thanks!
Okay - connecting the printer to my laptop worked immediately. I was able to print a test page successfully. Now how do I get it to work without a direct connection?

Okay - connecting the printer to my laptop worked immediately. I was able to print a test page successfully. Now how do I get it to work without a direct connection?
Time to upgrade my desktop! should I upgrade to 18.04 or 20.04?

20.04LTS

Now how do I get it to work without a direct connection?
I don't use Ubuntu, but in general you would now go into your Printers settings, and "Add a Network Printer." Wait on it for a moment (maybe "browse" the network if it gives the option), and with luck, it will see your Epson straightaway so that you can select it. If not so lucky, you may have to fiddle with the printer's network settings (use DHCP) so that it gets an IP address from your router.... and then try "Add a Network Printer" again.

Last edited:
Time to upgrade my desktop! should I upgrade to 18.04 or 20.04?
If you need help with this, a new thread will be better. But as a quick comment, you cannot skip LTS versions with an "upgrade," so only 18.04 would be possible (info). But truthfully, I don't encourage "upgrades" because they can often go badly. Be sure to make good backups before attempting. I'm also not sure that an upgrade is possible after your current version is already end-of-life, like yours. Upgrades usually want the current version to be up to date to begin, which you cannot now do for 16.04. However, you may want to consider upgrading 18.04 to 20.04 before it too reaches EOL.

A fresh clean install is what I would recommend. Then, like @brickwizard, I would recommend 20.04 for the longest life (until 2025). You still need good backups to restore anything important. This is also a good opportunity to consider how well you like Ubuntu, and whether you might like to try something else instead. But I'm not discouraging Ubuntu... it is very popular and easy for most folks to use, and even Ubuntu itself has many different "flavors" that can offer you a different Linux experience.

Members online