Plextor ConvertX PX-AV100U

barn102

Reaction score
Credits
I'm very new to Linux so i basically have no idea what i'm doing. I have an old AV capture device that will not work with windows past XP. I tried a virtual XP machine. got the device recognized but it locks up the system when you actually try and use it. So i have seen some threads online where Linux users have got this device running. So far i was able to get it setup in OBS studio and it displays video but it is in black and white. This is just using whatever the automatic driver would be (i really don't even understand installing drivers on linux).

Has anyone had any luck using this device on a modern machine? Any help would be appreciated. I found this link https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Plextor_ConvertX_PX-AV100U but i do not understand how to find the driver or install it or make any use of what i'm reading.

Also i'm using debian 12 if that matters.

G'day barn102, Welcome to linux.org

I am not sure of the actual use of this piece of gear.

I read this " The palm-size device makes it fast and easy to capture video by connecting virtually any video source to a personal computer."
....but that was dated 2004.

I can capture a video (usually from youtube) by using one of the many apps made to do this. . The app is free and works beautifully, in my Linux Mint 21.2 I suspect it would also work in Debian...as well as many other Ubuntu based or Debian based distros.

Tell me more about what you are trying to achieve.

Last edited:
G'day barn102, Welcome to linux.org

I am not sure of the actual use of this piece of gear.

I read this " The palm-size device makes it fast and easy to capture video by connecting virtually any video source to a personal computer."
....but that was dated 2004.

I can capture a video (usually from youtube) by using one of the many apps made to do this. . The app is free and works beautifully, in my Linux Mint 21.2 I suspect it would also work in Debian...as well as many other Ubuntu based or Debian based distros.

Tell me more about what you are trying to achieve.
Unfortunately what your talking about is not the same thing. The capture device takes an RCA input and sends to the PC to record. It is useful to convert VHS home videos to digital. And yes I could simply buy a new one but was hoping to not have to.

Thank you for any help you can offer though.

Update the color issue was simply picking the right format of ntsc. Feel like dummy for that but now I can't figure out how to get audio signal

Members online