No sound

did you use the --user option when trying to check the status of those services? without that option, i don't get any output. for example
Code:
systemctl status --user 'pipewire*'
or
Code:
systemctl status --user '*pulse*'

your original post says you are using kali purple. i thought there was only one version, but it may help to check and see if you are using the same version as my virtual machine so i am not giving you incorrect information. the command lsb_release -a should show some info about what you are running. this is the output i get in my virtual machine:
Code:
lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Kali
Description:    Kali GNU/Linux Rolling
Release:        2023.2
Codename:       kali-rolling

someone else mentioned checking installed packages. that might be helpful. this command should check for installed packages that contain the word pipe, pulse and pavu (for pavucontrol):
apt list '*pipe*' '*pulse*' 'pavu*' -i
the output from my vm in case we are running the same version:
Code:
apt list '*pipe*' '*pulse*' 'pavu*' -i
Listing... Done
libpipeline1/kali-rolling,now 1.5.7-1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libpipewire-0.3-0/kali-rolling,now 0.3.65-3 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libpipewire-0.3-common/kali-rolling,now 0.3.65-3 all [installed,automatic]
libpipewire-0.3-modules/kali-rolling,now 0.3.65-3 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libpulse-mainloop-glib0/kali-rolling,now 16.1+dfsg1-2+b1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libpulse0/kali-rolling,now 16.1+dfsg1-2+b1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libpulsedsp/kali-rolling,now 16.1+dfsg1-2+b1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
pavucontrol/kali-rolling,now 5.0-2 amd64 [installed,automatic]
pipewire-bin/kali-rolling,now 0.3.65-3 amd64 [installed,automatic]
pipewire-pulse/kali-rolling,now 0.3.65-3 amd64 [installed,automatic]
pipewire/kali-rolling,now 0.3.65-3 amd64 [installed,automatic]
pulseaudio-module-bluetooth/kali-rolling,now 16.1+dfsg1-2+b1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
pulseaudio-utils/kali-rolling,now 16.1+dfsg1-2+b1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
pulseaudio/kali-rolling,now 16.1+dfsg1-2+b1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin/kali-rolling,now 0.4.5-1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
I just figured out that the problem is not in Kali, it is that it's bare metal linux. I ran Kali on VMware and it works fine,
Any advice? Thanks.

did you run it in vmware on the same system?
No, I ran it in Windows, and the sound does work in Windows, I just wanted to test if the problem is my computer not supporting Kali in a VM or something like that. In Kali VMware running on my Kali purple OS there is no sound.

As Kali is NOT for beginners or those who do not have a full understanding of Linux systems, I suggest that if you are insisting on attempting to use it, you do so in a VM or by using WSL. That way you will not have connection or any other hardware problems. if you break the installation [which i expect you to do] it is simpler to wipe the VM and re-install Kali.
There are other pentesting distributions, some are easier to set up, but all expect you to be fully conversant with Linux systems,

have you run any other linux distribution (distro) successfully (including sound) on the system you are trying to get the kali purple sound working on? if not, can you try running a different distro from a live usb to see if that works? mx linux is also based on debian and comes with a lot of extras installed to try and get it to work on all kinds of different hardware. that might be worth a try if you want to test a live usb: https://mxlinux.org/download-links/

did you run it in vmware on the same system?
No, I ran it in Windows, and the sound does work in Windows, I just wanted to test if the problem is my computer not supporting Kali in a VM or something like that. In Kali VMware running on my Kali purple OS there is no sound.
I run virtual machines in VMware Fusion on Mac. That includes Windows and Linux (and others). I have sound issues in some guest operating systems. Most often the problem is the microphone, but occasionally there is no sound output.

I never bothered to troubleshoot the issues, ever. Sound on guest VMs is not important to me. I listen to music as I work, but it comes from the host computer.

I have run VMware products on Windows and Linux, but not in a while. We always assumed that the same VMware guest "hardware version" worked identically no matter which host operating system it ran on. As we worked, we moved and copied virtual machines between different host operating systems. They ran the same for everyone.

(Note: macOS guests are the exception. Mac guests are supposed to run only on Mac hosts, although many hacks exist. I never tried that either.)

have you run any other linux distribution (distro) successfully (including sound) on the system you are trying to get the kali purple sound working on? if not, can you try running a different distro from a live usb to see if that works? mx linux is also based on debian and comes with a lot of extras installed to try and get it to work on all kinds of different hardware. that might be worth a try if you want to test a live usb: https://mxlinux.org/download-links/
No, I tried to run Ubuntu and it does not work too (bare metal, not VMware).

whether it's ubuntu or kali, it would seem like you would benefit from circling back around and figuring out if you have drivers (for ubuntu), if the services and sockets are active and running and if there are any helpful messages or errors or warnings about any of the above in the system journal.

if you decide to switch to ubuntu (or any other distro), it would probably be a good idea to start with a new post as a lot of this one is based solely on kali and you may get more helpers with other distros.

if you can or have tried a few different distros live (maybe fedora and endeavour for one from the red hat and arch lines) and none of them have sound, the device may be problematic or broken altogether. when was the last time you used sound successfully on that system?

Last edited:
whether it's ubuntu or kali, it would seem like you would benefit from circling back around and figuring out if you have drivers (for ubuntu), if the services and sockets are active and running and if there are any helpful messages or errors or warnings about any of the above in the system journal.

if you decide to switch to ubuntu (or any other distro), it would probably be a good idea to start with a new post as a lot of this one is based solely on kali and you may get more helpers with other distros.

if you can or have tried a few different distros live (maybe fedora and endeavour for one from the red hat and arch lines) and none of them have sound, the device may be problematic or broken altogether. when was the last time you used sound successfully on that system?
Tried ubuntu, doesnt work too

Tried ubuntu, doesnt work too
understood. if you intend to continue with kali, have you followed the other troubleshooting steps suggested on the first page of this thread to see if you can find some other helpful info: https://linux.org/threads/no-sound.45588/#post-196417

and this one for log or journal messages: https://linux.org/threads/no-sound.45588/#post-196276

in addition to the other services and sockets mentioned, it looks like there is also a wireplumber service. you should be able to check the status of all audio services and sockets (that i know of) with

systemctl status --user '*wire*'

are they all listed as active and running?

understood. if you intend to continue with kali, have you followed the other troubleshooting steps suggested on the first page of this thread to see if you can find some other helpful info: https://linux.org/threads/no-sound.45588/#post-196417

and this one for log or journal messages: https://linux.org/threads/no-sound.45588/#post-196276

in addition to the other services and sockets mentioned, it looks like there is also a wireplumber service. you should be able to check the status of all audio services and sockets (that i know of) with

systemctl status --user '*wire*'

are they all listed as active and running?
Yep they are, I think it is a problem with the drivers, so i tried to install drivers for my sound card, when i install them and reboot Linux just would not boot (I can still access a terminal-only version of it). I'm not an expert though so i may not be right.

i tried to install drivers for my sound card
what drivers did you try to install? from your previous post it looked like you had some sound drivers:
Output of the lspci command:
01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: NVIDIA Corporation Device [10de:22bd] (rev a1)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:25dd]
Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel
--
08:00.5 Multimedia controller [0480]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] ACP/ACP3X/ACP6x Audio Coprocessor [1022:15e2] (rev 62)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. ACP/ACP3X/ACP6x Audio Coprocessor [1043:1d1f]
Kernel modules: snd_pci_acp3x, snd_rn_pci_acp3x, snd_pci_acp5x, snd_pci_acp6x
08:00.6 Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h/19h HD Audio Controller [1022:15e3]
DeviceName: Realtek ALC1220
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Family 17h/19h HD Audio Controller [1043:1d1f]
Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel
09:00.0 USB controller [0c03]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device [1022:15b8]
you have mentioned that ubuntu also didn't work. have you tried any other linux distributions and been able to successfully use the sound? when was the last time the sound did work?

so i tried to install drivers for my sound card,
Kali does warn users ..installing applications and drivers not in the Kali repositories may break your system

what drivers did you try to install? from your previous post it looked like you had some sound drivers:

you have mentioned that ubuntu also didn't work. have you tried any other linux distributions and been able to successfully use the sound? when was the last time the sound did work?
I didn't try other distributions than Kali and Ubuntu, The only time it works is on Windows.

I didn't try other distributions than Kali and Ubuntu,
Kali, as I keep saying, Is for the experienced Linux user, it has one purpose only and that is Pen-testing [Hacking as youngsters call it] try using it as an everyday drive and you will come a cropper its not cool, Ubuntu is a good solid distribution, BUT depending on the age of your machine if under 2 yrs old then MX-AHS is always worth a try as they tend to keep the latest drivers available, run it "live from the pen-drive to test out if it will work with your sound card/chip

I didn't try other distributions than Kali and Ubuntu, The only time it works is on Windows.
i would also recommend at least trying mx linux 21 live since it is based on debian like kali: https://mxlinux.org/download-links/

in addition to being based on debian, mx also comes with quite a few extra packages to try and make it work on more systems.

since ubuntu is also based on debian like kali, it wouldn't hurt to try a distribution like endeavour os which is based on arch linux and might have a newer kernel: https://endeavouros.com/latest-release/

that isn't to say that you have to use any of the above. the idea is to see if you can get working sound out of the box in a live environment so maybe you can see what drivers do work well with your hardware.

Can't I just install them on my current system?
the idea is you run them live, so you can test out that everything works [sound.graphics,wi-fi etc]

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts