No eth0 interface shows up on Linux NAS

flashy

Reaction score
Credits
Dear experts!

I have a NAS (N5550) from Thecus and I want to access it. I connected everything and the ethernet port lights up.
On the LCD front of the NAS it shows: LAN IP: N/A Normally I saw the IP-Address to connect to the NAS. I tried another cable and switch port. Nothing helped.

With a display plugged in VGA port it opens up a linux OS.

Code:
uname -a

4444.jpg

It's quite an old system :)

Code:
ip link show and ifconfig -a

2222.jpg

1111.jpg

But both devices (ethernet ports) are installed:

3333.jpg

Because I don't know much about Linux I really would need help from you. The data on the NAS is important :)
If it's not possible to bring back ethernet maybe I can mount an USB HDD?

Many thanks to all!!

Which distribution are you running on that system? Have you tried switching the ethernet cable(s) as in cables can break?

Sorry but I can't answer the distribution. I just have the information: Linux 3.10.104
The distribution comes from Thecus I think - surely a bit modified for a NAS.

Cables are switched also the ports on the router and the NAS (2 ports).

Can you share the output of the following?
Code:
lsb_release -a
cat /etc/os-release

Of course! Here are the outputs for both commands:

-sh: lsb_release: command not found
cat: cant open /etc/os-release: no such file or directory

additional I tried to set a static IP to‘dummy0‘ and‘sit0‘ but this didnt help either.

It doesn't seem to be a known distribution or something very custom since either of those should give some information of what you are running. Can't help you then only advise I can give is that you can plugin an external usb hard drive and copy your data over.

G'day @flashy from Downunder and welcome to linux.org :)

What I know about NAS you could write on the back of a postage stamp and still have room to transcribe the entire King James Bible.

But I can ask some questions that may narrow down the search a little.
  1. Can you issue the command
    Code:
    echo $0
    and give us the output?
Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Dear chris,
many thanks for your answer. I'm really amazed about your writing skills but I think you just gonna use some sort of wizard magic or you are using the post stamp "mother of emirates"...

The output of echo $0 is:
-sh

Only -sh, nothing else.
I rebooted the NAS and made two new screenshots from the BIOS screen and the boot process. Maybe there are more hints to find out the issue?

have a nice day and cheers from germany
joseph

Attachments

• boot1.jpg
    boot1.jpg
    369 KB · Views: 194
  • boot2.jpg
    boot2.jpg
    386.9 KB · Views: 220
It doesn't seem to be a known distribution or something very custom since either of those should give some information of what you are running. Can't help you then only advise I can give is that you can plugin an external usb hard drive and copy your data over.

Oh yes, I already thought that it is a very customized system.

Do you know how I could access the RAID data without loosing any data?
I hope that my USB HDD will work, because without Internet access I couldn't install a driver?

the N5550 server has the dreaded Intel Atom processor [I dont know if it is a 32 or a 64 bit version]...
I have a Acer ZG5 also with the dreaded Atom processor, It is not man enough to run most current brands of Linux successfully, after going through over 50 lightweight distributions the only one I got to work successfully was Peppermint 10 respin [which is coming to the end of its life] it copes well with geriatric hardware and can be run live from a DVD [or pen-drive if your box is capable many of that age are not usb bootable]
Bwiz

It doesn't seem to be a known distribution
the N5550 was a server box it came bare bones to install your own OS so it could be almost anything from around 14 yrs ago

Last edited:
the Linux 3.10.104 is the kernel which came out Oct 2016 - A dash in front of the shell name means that the shell was invoked as a login shell -
The output of echo $0 is:
-sh
try
Code:
cat /etc/issue

Sorry but I can't answer the distribution. I just have the information: Linux 3.10.104
The distribution comes from Thecus I think - surely a bit modified for a NAS.

Cables are switched also the ports on the router and the NAS (2 ports).

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts