New Windows 10 Tries to Force Microsoft Account

Terminal Velocity

Reaction score
Credits
I wish they insist to it but they will take it back when people start looking for other OS

I have a Windows 10 vm and am updated to the most recent version and I didn't get this.

I have a Windows 10 vm and am updated to the most recent version and I didn't get this.
I have the latest Win 10 (21H1) fully installed on 2 laptops and have not had this problem either. At least not yet. I do not even have a Microsoft account.

I think most do on the first install when I had my win10 VM I had to on set up use an account and then unlink it
The simplest solution to avoid using a Microsoft account when installing Windows 10 is... do not connect to any network until after the install is complete.

I'm not surprised by this, because from what I was looking into about 11, it refuses to let you complete the most simplest tasks unless you have an account as well. Clearly this is Microsoft being desperate when it comes to keeping their long-time victims (I'd call them users, but they're actually being used), especially when Android surpassed Windows in being the most popular OS in general. Because so many organizations and individuals are using Linux (or just FOSS in general), there's really no legitimate reason to use proprietary software anymore. Give it a few more years (maybe a decade at best), and Windows will finally be dead.

what I was looking into about 11, it refuses to let you complete the most simplest tasks unless you have an account as well
I'll let you know. I've ordered my first new desktop since 2009, and it should arrive by the end of the month. It will have Windows 11 Home, and I intend to dual-boot it with Linux.

Give it a few more years (maybe a decade at best), and Windows will finally be dead.
I'm not a Windows fan (by any means!) but I wouldn't write their obituary just yet. ;)

Last edited:
I'm not a Windows fan, by any means, but I wouldn't write their obituary just yet. ;)

While you're entitled to your opinion (as everyone else is), there's no denying more and more people are switching from Windows to Linux because of security, privacy, and freedom (both price and philosophy) reasons. Because Microsoft keeps sticking it's foot in it's mouth due to it's business practices, that's another reason more people are switching. You're right that Windows isn't on it's deathbed just yet, but the writing is still on the wall about it's grim future.

(I'd call them users, but they're actually being used),
No one is being used.
Windows users agree to the terms and conditions of the OS.

especially when Android surpassed Windows in being the most popular OS in general. Because so many organizations and individuals are using Linux (or just FOSS in general), there's really no legitimate reason to use proprietary software anymore.
I don't know if Android surpassed Windows.

The majority of people that used to use a Windows computer now use an Android cell phone or an Apple iPhone to do simple tasks.

Give it a few more years (maybe a decade at best), and Windows will finally be dead.
I'm with @stan I don't see Microsoft going anywhere but forward.

Microsoft didn't get to be who they are and where they are by giving up.

Most people will choose Windows OS over another OS have been and will continue to do so.

Most people I know haven't even heard of Linux and if they have heard of Linux have no interest in learning Linux.

Everyone I know is familiar with Windows OS and not Linux and are buying new computers with Windows 11 OS not Linux.

Maybe so however Windows 10 users aren't concerned about privacy now so I doubt they will be concerned about privacy with Windows 11.

Windows 10 users I know are more concerned about the new changes with Facebook and how it will affect their use. :rolleyes:

My Windows 10 computer will most likely become a Linux computer when Windows 10 reaches EOL.

No one is being used.
Windows users agree to the terms and conditions of the OS.

None of them read the fine print. If they did, they wouldn't agree to it and would use FOSS instead.

I don't know if Android surpassed Windows.

The majority of people that used to use a Windows computer now use an Android cell phone or an Apple iPhone to do simple tasks.

While Windows is still the winner in terms of desktop market share, that victory is coming to an end with Millennials and Zoomers being more attracted to both Android and tablets. Because those two demographics are known for being on the go, and they grew up with tablets, the tablet market share will gradually increase over time. Yes, I know the market share for it is still small now, but as a Millennial, I can see my prediction coming true, because I know what my demographic likes.

I'm with @stan I don't see Microsoft going anywhere but forward.

Microsoft didn't get to be who they are and where they are by giving up.

Most people will choose Windows OS over another OS have been and will continue to do so.

Most people I know haven't even heard of Linux and if they have heard of Linux have no interest in learning Linux.

Everyone I know is familiar with Windows OS and not Linux and are buying new computers with Windows 11 OS not Linux.

Microsoft and Windows are two different things. Microsoft can still go forward without Windows, but being it's one of their biggest selling products, they'll struggle to stay in business if Windows ever bites the dust. The biggest reason why most people don't switch to Linux is because they've become psychologically dependent on Windows like a drug addict. If you took a Linux distro with the KDE plasma desktop, made it look exactly like Windows, and put it in front of normies, they would immediately assume it's Windows until they start fiddling with it sometime afterward. Also, after becoming used to certain work flow or way of doing things, normies get stuck in the mindset created by Microsoft, and rather being patient and open-minded enough to want to learn how to Linux, a number of them (but not all of them) will dig their heels in and pout like a bratty child. The best thing you can do is to talk about how Linux doesn't have nearly as many problems as Windows has, but obviously in a nudging kind way, instead of a preachy or condecending kind of way. For example, me telling my dad that Linux doesn't require antivirus because it's secure by default got his attention, and one time he mentioned considering Linux because he got tired of the numerous forced updates in Windows.

The biggest reason why most people don't switch to Linux is because they've become psychologically dependent on Windows like a drug addict.
People are lazy and won't exert any effort towards learning Linux that's only 1 of the reasons why they aren't using Linux.

The best thing you can do is to talk about how Linux doesn't have nearly as many problems as Windows has, but obviously in a nudging kind way, instead of a preachy or condescending kind of way.
The best thing I can do is leave Windows users be if they're happy using Windows than cool.

I'm not interested in converting any Windows user I know or anyone else using Windows to become a Linux user.

I don't care what OS people use.

The biggest reason why most people don't switch to Linux is because they've become psychologically dependent on Windows like a drug addict.
People are lazy and won't exert any effort towards learning Linux that's only 1 of the reasons why they aren't using Linux.
This. Very much this. Not only this, but very much. People are "psychologically dependent" on taking the path of least resistance... the lazy way. This is "the rule" rather than "the exceptions." People don't do a "custom install" of a software package (when available, such as in Windows)... they will usually choose an "express install" so they don't have to read and answer a bunch of questions. This is so true in many aspects of life, but I'll try to just stick to computers and technology.

How many people choose pure Arch Linux? Or Debian netinstall? Or Gentoo? Not many, but there are some... "the exceptions." On the other hand, "the rule" is people downloading a big bloated full-featured distro (quite similar to Windows) because they're too lazy to build up a nice, lean, and fast distro on their own. And with their big bloated distro, there will be many apps they never open or use. Yet, they also won't take the time to purge unneeded software... apps that will keep getting updates needlessly. Most of us are probably like this.

Oh yes, I'm guilty too. I definitely have my lazy moments, and I run big bloated distros. But I have installed and used Arch, and Debian netinstall, and OpenBSD (not Gentoo) before. I have compiled software from source code. I also have technical problems, like anyone, but I look for solutions in the man pages, or on Google/DDG. Sometimes I look for days, rephrasing my questions to tickle a new response from the search engines. I'm not a Linux expert, but when I'm not being lazy myself, I can be very determined to fix my own problems. You probably won't see me ask many questions here.

When people buy a new computer, in most cases it will run Windows. Most people, believe it or not, are not geeks like us. They don't want to be geeks like us! They actually want Windows... because that's what was on their last computer. Windows will run TurboTax, or their favorite greeting card program. They will do that "express setup" when they turn it on for the first time... not reading or caring what choices those toggle-switch options (on Win 10) are offering them. And they're even less inclined to search through the many pages of Windows Preferences to try to better secure their privacy.

Most computers users (unlike geeks like us) are not very concerned about their online privacy. The proof is in the pudding: the number of users on Facebook and other social media, the number of people not using anti-virus or anti-malware tools on their phones (yet they use them for banking), the number of people who continue to fall for phishing email and other scams, the number of people who are all-in with any free app Google will provide. And this same "lack of concern" escalates up to top level IT departments in the biggest of corporations and governments all over the world... the proof is in the pudding: ransomware and other cyber breaches.

Linux isn't the solution to all these problems. People are. But don't hold your breath. I don't think you're going to see a "privacy revolution" from the masses. They obviously don't care enough. If there will be change, it will likely be demanded by governments... but they have been awfully lazy so far too. Time will tell.

My prediction: Things are going to get worse before they get better.

That makes me feel good because I'm one who does read what the slide switches do so I know how to set them and it's usually off.

Then after all updates I will go through the settings and switch off all of which I do not need or want and do not fit my type of use.

I have attempted to uninstall what software Windows 10 will allow however some is not removable.

As for my browsers I've always search the needed information to harden them as much as possible but remain usable.

Always keep them updated on a regular bases and have only had minor issues although easily solved.

OK enough said about Windows.

I'm new to Linux so okay I'm guilty for installing right OOTB.

I've done a lot of searching about Linux and have learned a lot over the last 3 to 4 weeks and now no longer afraid to install and remove software.

I figure if I don't try things than I won't learn and know about them and Linux isn't no different.

I've installed my Linux several times because of trying stuff and Opps :oops: hey it happens and I'm willing to wreck my Linux to learn.

I now have Timeshift but haven't had to use it yet so I must have learned something.

I'm willing to search for what I need to know about and learn about Linux if I want to use Linux successfully so I do.

So far my Linux journey has been good and has been at times a bit confusing however I became un-confused and figured it out.

I'm not into all of the which is the better OS if someone wants to use another OS than they have to be willing to put in the time to learn it.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've installed my Linux several times because of trying stuff and Opps :oops: hey it happens and I'm willing to wreck my Linux to learn.

Learning by breaking is a valid path to Linux knowledge.

I'm waiting for my current system to break so that I can reinstall. So far, it has refused to break.

I've been pretty tame and haven't done too much tweaking on this system that I'm using right now. It does have a lot of cruft, from testing the various articles I write. I install all sorts of stuff for that. I'm usually too lazy to remove it when I'm done, and managing my .bash_history is a terrible mess.

Members online

Latest posts