New to the Linux world. Need help!

AnkiaJ007

Reaction score
Credits
Hi everyone,

So I want to switch over to Linux since I have an outdated 2010 MacBook Pro laptop (it currently has MacOS 10.8.5 installed). I have no idea where to start or what Linux option to go for (there seems to be so many to choose from :eek:). I would need something that is beginner friendly and I use my MacBook to go online and do a lot of editing of photos using Gimp.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of where to start? Any suggestions will be much appreciated :)

i have been using linux for a few years, but still use linux mint even though (or especially because) it is often suggested for beginners. for most purposes i have, it just works. i installed it on a mid-2014 macbook pro a couple of weeks ago.

this article is a little older, but has a pretty good description of how i installed mint in the section titled "How to install Linux on a Mac": https://www.macworld.com/article/672021/how-to-install-set-up-linux-on-a-mac.html

linux mint has a few different desktop environment (DE) options. for systems with less ram and older cpu's, sometimes the MATE or Xfce desktops are recommended. i use the Xfce DE myself because i like it. here is a link where you can download the newest version of linux mint: https://linuxmint.com/download.php

the program you will need to create a bootable linux mint usb mentioned in that article is called balena etcher. it is linked in the article or here: https://etcher.balena.io/#download-etcher

this is a specifications sheet for a mid-2010 macbook pro: https://support.apple.com/kb/SP583?locale=en_US

it says that the system has an nvidia graphics processor. if that is true, you may need to boot the linux mint usb in Compatibility Mode. these release notes for linux mint have some explanation about Compatibility Mode as well as some further discussion about later installing a driver for that graphics processor if the above is correct: https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_vera_cinnamon.php

i can't tell from that specification sheet what wireless (wifi) adapter the system has, but you may need to install a driver for that as well. i had to do so for the 2014.

i know that may be a lot to think about and read over. feel free to reply with any questions or concerns you might have :)

Welcome to the forums
installing to an old mac is a little more difficult than say a Del or Lenovo. But with care and diligence it can be done, I suspect it came with an Intel Core 2 duo, and usually 4 gb ram [may be less depending on which Country it was originally sold]
It should be able to run any distribution, some popular ones for newbies include ...
Linux Mint
any of the Ubuntu family
Linux Lite
MX Linux
and 2 I run on my core 2 4gb lappy
Mint LMDE
Parrot Home Edition

just take your time and test out a few by running them “live” from a pen-drive

Linux Mint Cinnamon is what I use and very user friendly...works on my 2012 Laptop but I can't say for a mac as I've never used one. :)

One of the fun and helpful things about Linux is that you can just put it on a usb stick and try it before you commit to installing it outright.

Make sure it actually works and is compatible and all that.

Start there. Grab a usb stick and something like Linux Mint and see if it works on the machine first before removing the existing system.

anything with good documentation and works with your computer . try a few before you decide

try main branches first before you try forks.debian, arch and fedora. try
Budgie Desktop environment ,Cinnamon Desktop environment and Xfce Desktop environmen. more xp like work flow

Last edited:
I don't like naming distros to recommend. But since the OP might have gotten enough of MacOS and indicated one of his/her aims, then I must speak somewhat specifically.

This is only what I have experienced; don't take it blindly. I discovered Debian MATE comes with GIMP. On other systems GIMP has to be installed. But MATE D.E. could be a bit clunky for someone used to MacOS. Therefore another one closer to MacOS experience, IMHO is elementary OS.

Those Linux OS's, and Linux Mint are an acquired taste. Don't limit yourself to looking at those. Please become involved directly if possible and don't depend neither on watching Youtube videos or other tutorials of "It works great for me!" If you don't have a lot of time, pick five ISO's that you download and burn onto DVD or USB disk and check them out when you can.

Check out various distros in live form. Do not go for an OS that is install only. Do not settle for looking at things through a virtual machine because a few distros behave differently in that mode from while they are formally installed, and you could be unpleasantly surprised by it. Also you would need 8GB RAM or more to do comfortable VM.

No matter what other people tell you, stay away from Arch and Slackware, because if you don't know what you're doing with those, you will end up frustrated. One of the RPM-based distros like Fedora or OpenSUSE could be good enough but it requires study and patience, especially if it's very important to you to watch movies requiring proprietary codecs like H264.

Also do not go blindly into a distro based on Arch, not even Garuda nor Manjaro, because those have to be updated regularly and you could wind up frustrated if something breaks from it. Both offer the ability to do system snapshots to recover from such a mess but, again, it requires calculation from the user and eventually if there's an issue with hardware or something else that prevents updating to the latest and greatest then it could be a deal-breaker.

I don't like naming distros to recommend. But since the OP might have gotten enough of MacOS and indicated one of his/her aims, then I must speak somewhat specifically.

This is only what I have experienced; don't take it blindly. I discovered Debian MATE comes with GIMP. On other systems GIMP has to be installed. But MATE D.E. could be a bit clunky for someone used to MacOS. Therefore another one closer to MacOS experience, IMHO is elementary OS.

Those Linux OS's, and Linux Mint are an acquired taste. Don't limit yourself to looking at those. Please become involved directly if possible and don't depend neither on watching Youtube videos or other tutorials of "It works great for me!" If you don't have a lot of time, pick five ISO's that you download and burn onto DVD or USB disk and check them out when you can.

Check out various distros in live form. Do not go for an OS that is install only. Do not settle for looking at things through a virtual machine because a few distros behave differently in that mode from while they are formally installed, and you could be unpleasantly surprised by it. Also you would need 8GB RAM or more to do comfortable VM.

No matter what other people tell you, stay away from Arch and Slackware, because if you don't know what you're doing with those, you will end up frustrated. One of the RPM-based distros like Fedora or OpenSUSE could be good enough but it requires study and patience, especially if it's very important to you to watch movies requiring proprietary codecs like H264.

Also do not go blindly into a distro based on Arch, not even Garuda nor Manjaro, because those have to be updated regularly and you could wind up frustrated if something breaks from it. Both offer the ability to do system snapshots to recover from such a mess but, again, it requires calculation from the user and eventually if there's an issue with hardware or something else that prevents updating to the latest and greatest then it could be a deal-breaker.
This post was very informative for me. Two weeks ago, I started a thread about "What Do YOU Look for in a Desktop Linux?..." and it would have been a good fit there, too. Here is a link to it. It may be worth your time:

https://www.linux.org/threads/what-do-you-look-for-in-a-desktop-linux-how-do-you-choose.45565/

Members online