New To Linux

Yeti The Adi-Manav

Reaction score
Credits
I am new to linux world. I tried one Jing OS to install on my Avita essential celeron 4020 processor but failed. Not failed completely but wireless didn't work, touch screen didn't work, and screen was upside down whichever side i tried to turn.

After that i realised, i should learn about Linux first. So i am here. I will wait and learn till next year, and after that i will try everything on my system

Welcome to the forums.
I don't know much about the Avita essential celeron 4020 processor, It was made originally for the Indian market, and the sellers do not publish a full set of specifications,
So, this is my suggestion,
hard-wire [cable connect] your laptop to the router if at all possible]
download Linux MX AHS and burn the IOS to a pendrive,
turn off windows quick start [usually found in the BIOS/UEFI ]
insert the usb, switch on, and using the one-time short boot key [sorry I do not know what it is for your machine] select the USB and enter, this will load a "Live session to the ram"
find the wi-fi icon open and connect the wi-fi to your router

next, click on menu [bottom left icon] and find/open terminal
type inxi -Fnxxz and enter, copy and paste the report back on this thread, this will tell us all we need to know about your machine
Note, I suggest MX Linux as it has one of the most comprehensive set of non-free drivers, and so has the best chance of working out of the box

Last edited:
Hello @Yeti The Adi-Manav,
Welcome to the Linux.org Forum, Enjoy the journey.
You'll learn a lot here and there is a lot on line you can learn for free.
Not familiar with your machine so can't be of a lot of help. But others will be I'm sure.

Welcome to the forums.
I don't know much about the Avita essential celeron 4020 processor, It was made originally for the Indian market, and the sellers do not publish a full set of specifications,
So, this is my suggestion,
hard-wire [cable connect] your laptop to the router if at all possible]
download Linux MX AHS and burn the IOS to a pendrive,
turn off windows quick start [usually found in the BIOS/UEFI ]
insert the usb, switch on, and using the one-time short boot key [sorry I do not know what it is for your machine] select the USB and enter, this will load a "Live session to the ram"
find the wi-fi icon open and connect the wi-fi to your router

next, click on menu [bottom left icon] and find/open terminal
type inxi -Fnxxz and enter, copy and paste the report back on this thread, this will tell us all we need to know about your machine
Note, I suggest MX Linux as it has one of the most comprehensive set of non-free drivers, and so has the best chance of working out of the box

I made an OS image on pendrive.
Someone [who tried zing on that 10 inch laptop/tablet (convertible)] post a video on how to install it on you tube.
I watched that video and change the bios setting to boot from pen drive and installed it. after installation it asked for wifi connection but everytime i tried to connect it, it din't get connection.
And one more thing as the screen was upside down, on-screen touch key pad in normal position. (If keypad is facing me screen is opposite)
I am using windows since 2002. From 2004 to 2011/12 i used iMac 17" (picture attached) alongside windows. I found Mac OS very friendly compared to windows. But after it broke down i am back to windows again.

But Anyways. i gave my Avita essential to my daughter for her school work and i am using HP win 10 AMD ryzen5 5500U. And i want to wait until i learn something from here.

Thank you for suggestion and as yours is the first suggestion (reply) to me here in forum, i will definitely keep it for future.
Thanks again.

Attachments

• imac_17.jpg
    imac_17.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 100
i am using HP win 10 AMD ryzen5 5500U.
A good machine for loading Linux, the Ryzen 5 and its associated GPU [graphic chip] is well-supported in the Linux Kernel, the only possible problem I can think of may be the Wi-Fi, it may have a Realtek chipset, for which you may need to download and install propriotry drivers, we can point you in the right direction for that, using inxi from the live pen-drive[see first post] enter the code inxi -Nn and it will give you connection 1 [your main network ethanet card, and connection 2 [your wi-fi] with the chipset number included, if it starts RTL then you will need the correct Realtek drivers.
which distribution was you thinking of installing?

Bwiz

Hi @Brickwizard,
He was trying to install jingOS which is designed for phones and tablets, but I'm not very familiar with it. So as you I would recommend a more standard Distribution. MX should be Ideal. Kubuntu actually works pretty well on some tablets also.

A good machine for loading Linux, the Ryzen 5 and its associated GPU [graphic chip] is well-supported in the Linux Kernel, the only possible problem I can think of may be the Wi-Fi, it may have a Realtek chipset, for which you may need to download and install propriotry drivers, we can point you in the right direction for that, using inxi from the live pen-drive[see first post] enter the code inxi -Nn and it will give you connection 1 [your main network ethanet card, and connection 2 [your wi-fi] with the chipset number included, if it starts RTL then you will need the correct Realtek drivers.
which distribution was you thinking of installing?

Bwiz
As a new to linux world, obvioulsy Ubuntu. There are others that attract me as well. But i will wait and learn a lot in this forum first. No rush to ruin everything, though i will learn from my mistakes.

. No rush to ruin everything, though i will learn from my mistakes.

The one thing you will learn quite quickly is, no matter how experienced you are using Linux based distributions, you will never stop learning, many of us will tell you the best way to learn is to install, use, break and have to fix your Linux,
as a newbie, I will suggest you do some research [read other newbie post in "getting started"] pick a distribution and install it alongside your windows as a multi boot, that way you can play with it as much as you like [you may even find yourself using it most of the time] still keeping windows in case you hit upon problems and need to connect to the internet for help,

so all I can say for now is Kick off your sandals, grab a cobra, sit back and enjoy the ride

He was trying to install jingOS which is designed for phones and tablets,
Hi @kc1di , yes I spotted that, hence my attempt to move the OP towards a reliable mainstream distribution

The one thing you will learn quite quickly is, no matter how experienced you are using Linux based distributions, you will never stop learning, many of us will tell you the best way to learn is to install, use, break and have to fix your Linux,
as a newbie, I will suggest you do some research [read other newbie post in "getting started"] pick a distribution and install it alongside your windows as a multi boot, that way you can play with it as much as you like [you may even find yourself using it most of the time] still keeping windows in case you hit upon problems and need to connect to the internet for help,

so all I can say for now is Kick off your sandals, grab a cobra, sit back and enjoy the ride

Hi @kc1di , yes I spotted that, hence my attempt to move the OP towards a reliable mainstream distribution
I have one Toshiba Portege A100 lying around. Some of keys are not working. So I asked someone in Australia to order it for me. Which I just received.
It has 762 Ram (original 256)
Hdd 120 Gb pata. (Original 40 gb)
Intel pentium M (centrino) 1.4 GHz
CD -RW , DVD Read
I am trying Zorin OS but it does not read USB. Do I have to install from CD.
As it has boot option from
Fdd-hdd-cd-lan ( picture attached)

One more thing it has Windows XP Professional version 2002 service pack 3

Attachments

• IMG_20221213_163309.jpg
    IMG_20221213_163309.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 145
I have one Toshiba Portege A100 lying around. Some of keys are not working. So I asked someone in Australia to order it for me. Which I just received.
It has 762 Ram (original 256)
Hdd 120 Gb pata. (Original 40 gb)
Intel pentium M (centrino) 1.4 GHz
CD -RW , DVD Read
I am trying Zorin OS but it does not read USB. Do I have to install from CD.
As it has boot option from
Fdd-hdd-cd-lan ( picture attached)

One more thing it has Windows XP Professional version 2002 service pack 3
if you can not set the bios for usb boot then you will have to install via CD/DVD if it has that available.
Other than that the machine should work. With some Distro I'm not sure zorin is is the right one so try a few.
I would suggest MX or Peppermint or AX There are others that would work. Zorin may be a bit heavy for it.
But give it a try. You will have to set the boot priority to CD first for it to work. From what I can see in your picture of the Bios. You do not have a DVD writer on that machine. So you may have to burn the dvd on a different machine. Most Distros today are bigger than CD size. One exception is Puppy. That will fit nicely on a CD disk. Good luck.

Last edited:
if you can not set the bios for usb boot then you will have to install via CD/DVD if it has that available.
Other than that the machine should work. With some Distro I'm not sure zorin is is the right one so tray a few.
I would suggest MX or Peppermint or AX There are others that would work. Zorin may be a bit heavy for it.
But give it a try. You will have to set the boot priority to CD first for it to work.
Thanks for suggestion.

But as I searched for 750 mb ram or lower on internet I found Zorin Lite 15.3 as best option. All others are lighter than Zorin. And yes it is heavy compared to other light one. But I will try MX first as you said. But papermint might be a bit heavy for a machine 25 years old.

From what I can see in your picture of the Bios. You do not have a DVD writer on that machine. So you may have to burn the dvd on a different machine. Most Distros today are bigger than CD size. One exception is Puppy. That will fit nicely on a CD disk. Good luck.

A machine of that age is NOT USB bootable, so you will need to use the optical [DVD/CD drive]
with only 762mb of ram your choices are very limited, add to this IT IS ONLY A 32Bit machine, which limits you even more,
so, 32 bit with minimal resources, my suggestions are.. Debian 32 bit, Q4S, Sparky, Puppy 32 bit, [If you upgrade to 1gb ram then you have a few more to choose from MX-32,Mint LMDE 32bit, peppermint-32bit to name a few]
note, support for 32 bit machines will run out in about 3 years

EDIT.. { a machine 25 years old.}
that machine is only 18-20 yrs old, the Intel pentium M (centrino) 1.4 GHz was released 2nd quarter 2003 and discontinued around 2005

Last edited:
A machine of that age is NOT USB bootable, so you will need to use the optical [DVD/CD drive]
with only 762mb of ram your choices are very limited, add to this IT IS ONLY A 32Bit machine, which limits you even more,
so, 32 bit with minimal resources, my suggestions are.. Debian 32 bit, Q4S, Sparky, Puppy 32 bit, [If you upgrade to 1gb ram then you have a few more to choose from MX-32,Mint LMDE 32bit, peppermint-32bit to name a few]

that machine is only 18-20 yrs old, the Intel pentium M (centrino) 1.4 GHz was released 2nd quarter 2003 and discontinued around 2005

Yes. I said the time on rough basis. I bought this machine on 2004 as I remember.
Tomorrow I will buy a CD/DVD and install zorian lite. If it goes smoothly, then I will search for 512 mb ddr ram on market as well to change OS

And for next 3 years until I get support on 32 bit machine, I will use this machine as maximum as possible. :)

I was booting mx from DVD. After selecting mx i386 it starts to boot, but I get a message attached

Saying
Warning: PAE disabled. Use paramerer 'forcepae' to enable at your own risk.
This kernel requires the following features not present on the cpu. Unable to boot. Pls use a kernel appropriate for your CPU.

Last edited:
On boot note pad ( run- notepad c:\boot.ini)
Under operating system I added /PAE at the end of the line.
Multi(0) disk(0)rdisk(0)partitation(1)\windows="Microsoft windows XP Professional" /no execute=option /fastdetect / PAE

But when I restart system with iso DVD . It starts windows straight away after saying PXE media test failure.

Generally it says this when there is no drive in CD/DVD, right?

I checked my bios again and network boot protocol is still PXE . So why is it not working

One more thing why should i need PAE to be enabled. Do i need to install 4 GB RAM as well??

Last edited:
If you have not increased the ram to at least 1gb then you will have problems with MX-32 .
I think Antix 32bit may still load to a non PAE machine

It is all about insufficiency of RAM. I got it.
not quite, its 2 diffent problems
1] not enough ram to run MX
2] you have a non PAE processor, so you will either need to force it or use a non PAE distribution, as I said above, I Believe Antix still has a non PAE kernel [but I don't have a machine to test it on, my old Pentium M has PAE]

Members online