New to Linux Looking for the perfect distro.

DWKorst

Reaction score
Credits
I develop Mods for games in my free time I like it more then actually playing(i know I'm strange). I'm looking for an OS I can do the same. Gaming is not the primary focus. Creation Kit Tools and other Mod development tools and software are. But at the same time I don't want to jump OS's to test my in game mods. as like monitor the performance impact my Mods have on the original game. I'm not a total beginner when it comes to coding and script. but I am still in the beginning stages (I don't mind learning more). I want a OS I can develop and change as time goes on and new programs and game development/modifications tools become available. Perhaps the answer is to stick to windows. id be okay with that too... kind of, as I don't enjoy being told I cant change an operation because a background program to improve the store loading time is essential.
Currently I'm looking at
-POP OS but there isn't much said about Development tools. and it seems to me to be meant for gaming not so much gaming development and modification.
-ubuntu, but I'm skeptical that it doesn't have bloatware. or that the level of customization I'm looking for isn't there.
-Debian, but I don't know much about it other than it customizable like I want.

looking for recommendations professional/experienced.

There is no perfect distribution, only a distribution that works for you, you can install any programming and development tools on any Linux distribution.

thankyou for the links ill check them out. I was thinking Arch but the community support borderlines abusive.

I was thinking Arch but the community support borderlines abusive.
This was the norm a few years back, now many of the help sites are beginner-friendly, although I must say, some of the more popular distribution forums are still a bit elitist, [and some still ignore the newbie completely]

As F33dm3bits has said there is no perfect Distro. Just the one that works best for you and your hardware.
Any distro can be used to do Development work some you have to added the correct tools other may come with them.
I am not a gamer so can't really suggest the ones that may be best for you. Though you may find it difficult to test out your mods using Linux for windows games. There is always virtual Machines though. Good luck on your endevor. Try several live Distros then choose the one that seems to fit what you want to do.

As others have said the "Tools" can be inserted into most Linux distributions, Pop [although for some reason is popular at the moment] is designed by system 76 to be the operating system for their enterprise[office] based systems.

Although the latest edition is still having teething problems, Parrot is aimed at the professional system engineer and cybersecurity fraternity, and it comes with a friendly desk top environment and graphic installer.

Most linux developers seem to use Fedora so you may want to take a look at it.

I agree with others about no perfect linux distro... I also use Fedora for Dev purposes, but I focus more on scripting/automation, so I am not sure if the tools you're using is different to a point that you require specific distro, I doubt it.

I think the most important part would be to chose between a rolling release vs a fixed release. If you need something stable, go with a fixed release, and if you want the latest packages, you can always look at rolling releases.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts