New ssd won't boot after clone

sofasurfer

Reaction score
Credits
Ubuntu 20.04. Just Foxcloned my old 240gb Sandisk ssd with Ubuntu 20.04 over to a new Crucial 1tb ssd. Now when I boot the new ssd, immediately following the Dell splash screen, I get the message to "insert or select proper boot device". I formatted the new disk as ext4. Whats going on?

I just ran into a similar issue with Fedora. I used clonezilla and after 3 tries I got the same issues each time. The 4th time I sat and watched and noticed it was detecting my ext4 as bttrfs and that was the issue. I had to tell it to do a sector clone and that solved it. I would expect your foxclone configuration may not be right no matter what you see. Try using a different method. Or try clonezilla and use the expert mode and set sector clone. I would be willing to bet it will do it right.
I wonder if both have the same issue dealing with ext4

To me, the error message you received is saying there is nothing there...or if there is it is unable to read it....

So, either (as APTI said above) do a sector by sector clone....or try another clone/backup app

I use rescue zilla successfully, but I have not used the clone feature...only the backup and restore. It uses a graphical interface.

It is worth a moment of your time to read its blurb.

The issue was my stupidity. I forgot to click the "clone" tab instead of the "backup" tab.
Now, however, I am unable to resize my small home partition on my new large drive. What is the proceedure for accomplishing this? I have a ubuntu root partition on the left, then I have my home partition on the right and to the right of the home partition I have 700gb of unallocated space. I want to enlarge the home to take up all of the unallocated space. Is this possible or do I have to do a reinstall and the restore home from a backup?

if I were attempting to resize that partition I would use GParted.

I would boot to a 'live' usb first...as it probably wouldn't allow you to do that while it is mounted

I was using gparted. The resizing problem was because my partitions are enclosed in an extended partition. The extended partition must be resized before you can resize the partitions inside of it. I did not see that the extended partition was there because the dotted lines around it are of a color that is barely visible to me. Once I figured that out I realized I wasyed most of my day on a procedure that should have taken me a half hour at most.
Any other color blind people out there?

The upside of that is...you recognised the problem.

The simplest solution might be to reinstall...allow Linux to wipe everything on the disc and just use the whole disc

The Linux installer is an amazing thing.

Here are the instructions...https://foxclone.org/uguide.html

I find for best results...have only one partition created by the installer...if more than one make sure all are selected...both Drives be the same size...put the created image back on the same computer's Drive...to put the image on another computer use the clone feature.

If the Drive the clone is going to is bigger...you can use Gparted to extend the partition once the clone has been installed...I've never done this but it does work.
m1204.gif

With Puppy running from individual directories - as opposed to a whole partition - 'cloning' is something I've never needed to do, fortunately. Drive migration is easy with Puppy; you create new partitions as and how you want them on the new drive, then simply copy each Puppy's self-contained directory across to wherever you want it.

Then set-up your boot-loader, double-checking to make sure each entry points to the correct location. Robert's your mother's brother.....done.

Mike. ;)

I would be inclined to re-install your selected distribution to the new drive, then using a USB-SATA cable, transfer your files and folders over from the old one

I have resized partitions without issues many times. If it is just a regular partition you can use gparted and it will nicely handle the resize. If you are using LVM (Logical Volume Management) there is a procedure for that also and it is not tough. Let us know which you need help with.

Members online