New and so Lost!

Asaria

Reaction score
Credits
This is so much to take in and understand! I just wanted to download Google Earth Pro on my chromebook so I can go back in time! I was told that I had to go through Linux so here I am with more questions than I had before! Be merciful
HELP ME PLEASE!

Hello @Asaria,
Welcome to the linux.org forum.
With a chromebook depending on which brand and model you may be able to install Linux but it's not always easy.
Sorry can't be of much help here.
But glad you've found us some others will have had more experience with the Chromebooks than I have. Good Luck.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums
we do not normally deal with Google systems [they may be loosely based on Linux, but there are enough differences to consider them alien]
OK now if you follow the instructions on the link given by @wizardfromoz you should be OK,
Make sure your machine is suitable to run Crostini, and it is installed before you start on the installation of Earth.
and good luck

This is so much to take in and understand! I just wanted to download Google Earth Pro on my chromebook so I can go back in time! I was told that I had to go through Linux so here I am with more questions than I had before! Be merciful
HELP ME PLEASE!
Chromebooks are made by Google, who also created Google Earth. It seems unusual to me that you would need Linux. I would look around some more.

Depending on the model of your Chromebook, you might be able to install the Google Earth Android app. If your model is 2019 or later, you should be able to. Some models released before 2019 can run Android apps.

Chrome OS Systems Supporting Android Apps

You could of course always use Google Earth Web. But I wouldn't recommend it on a Chromebook, because they're usually quite modestly-powered. In practice, I've found it needs quite a powerful desktop machine, running a fairly decent GPU with the official drivers before it'll behave itself.....otherwise it's a dreadfully stuttery, laggy, disappointing experience.

I will say this much. The Linux build of Google Earth is beautifully slick'n'snappy, provided you're using the official drivers for whatever you're running. In practice, for Intel graphics these are covered by the kernel.....for Nvidia and/or AMD, you can forget "nouveau" or "radeon".....because the open-source drivers just won't cut the mustard, since the OpenGL stuff doesn't seem to be implemented correctly.

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum.
m0135.gif

Members online

Latest posts