Need newer versions of software in fedora

APTI

Reaction score
Credits
This is a rather strange request. I have a fedora 29 system, yes it is older but must remain that way because it runs zoneminder. Upgrading the system to a newer fedora will also upgrade zoneminder and the newer versions had huge issues. So I have to keep zoneminder on it's older still working version.

what I need to do is update some packages to the version used on fedora 35 to 37. The package versions do not exist in the F29 repo. is there a way to do this?

Please do not engage me in a discussion about upgrading fedora or zoneminder or what is wrong with newer zoneminder.

Fedora support rolling "in place" upgrades. However you can only jump 2 versions at a time.
You could go from 29 to 31, 31 to 33, 33 to 35, 36 to 37, and then 38.

Installing it on Fedora 37 is pretty straight forward.

I just checked the Fedora 38 repos's.

======================= Name Exactly Matched: zoneminder =======================
zoneminder.x86_64 : A camera monitoring and analysis tool
====================== Name & Summary Matched: zoneminder ======================
zoneminder-common.x86_64 : Common files for ZoneMinder, not tied to a specific
: web server
zoneminder-httpd.x86_64 : ZoneMinder configuration for Apache web server
zoneminder-nginx.x86_64 : ZoneMinder configuration for Nginx web server
=========================== Name Matched: zoneminder ===========================
mythzoneminder.x86_64 : A module for MythTV for camera security and surveillance
========================= Summary Matched: zoneminder ==========================
python3-zm.noarch : Python wrapper around the ZoneMinder REST API

Fedora support rolling "in place" upgrades. However you can only jump 2 versions at a time.
You could go from 29 to 31, 31 to 33, 33 to 35, 36 to 37, and then 38.

Installing it on Fedora 37 is pretty straight forward.

I just checked the Fedora 38 repos's.

======================= Name Exactly Matched: zoneminder =======================
zoneminder.x86_64 : A camera monitoring and analysis tool
====================== Name & Summary Matched: zoneminder ======================
zoneminder-common.x86_64 : Common files for ZoneMinder, not tied to a specific
: web server
zoneminder-httpd.x86_64 : ZoneMinder configuration for Apache web server
zoneminder-nginx.x86_64 : ZoneMinder configuration for Nginx web server
=========================== Name Matched: zoneminder ===========================
mythzoneminder.x86_64 : A module for MythTV for camera security and surveillance
========================= Summary Matched: zoneminder ==========================
python3-zm.noarch : Python wrapper around the ZoneMinder REST API
you should re-read my post. I am NOT looking for upgrades for zoneminder. I need to upgrade a specific package that is NOT affiliated with zoneminder to a version that exists on fedora 35,36,37 etc. but I am using fedora 29 and can not upgrade that due to zoneminder. I am not asking anything about zoneminder here.

Yes, you can upgrade, and even with Zoneminder. If you want to keep the old version, so be it. But you can definitely upgrade
and leave the old zoneminder. I've done it. There is no reason to keep running 29.
There may have been a version or two with issues. But the newer versions do not any issues.

In fact you can even upgrade everything besides Zoneminder if you want to.

However, it sounds like you want everything to stay the same. You have a couple of options, I would try
looking for the specific version of the RPM you need on RPMFIND. https://www.rpmfind.net/
However, that still might force you to upgrade other files. So it might not be the easiest way.

Yes, you can upgrade, and even with Zoneminder. If you want to keep the old version, so be it. But you can definitely upgrade
and leave the old zoneminder. I've done it. There is no reason to keep running 29.

In fact you can even upgrade everything besides Zoneminder if you want to.

However, it sounds like you want everything to stay the same. You have a couple of options, I would try
looking for the specific version of the RPM you need on RPMFIND. https://www.rpmfind.net/
However, that still might force you to upgrade other files. So it might not be the easiest way.
the problems I had with zoneminder made me tell them after they offered to charge me for fixing THEIR errors to go {explanitive deleted}. So I am keeping zoneminder on it's native fedora version. afraid to upgrade fedora and have zoneminder break due to version problems. however if you tell me how you can upgrade the system and not upgrade zoneminder that is something I can play with.

sudo dnf update --exclude=zoneminder*

Or option #2. At the bottom of your /etc/yum.conf file ( it might be dnf.conf, I can't remember in 29 )
add this line.

exclude=zoneminder

Then do a regular dnf update

sudo dnf update --exclude=zoneminder*

Or option #2. At the bottom of your /etc/yum.conf file ( it might be dnf.conf, I can't remember in 29 )
add this line.

exclude=zoneminder

Then do a regular dnf update

that sounds right. I have done that to exclude zoneminder from updates within F29 and it works, I was not aware it would exclude it from upgrade to F31 also. Are you sure that works? and yes dnf is correct in F29. I am sure that would solve so many issues if I can, as long as zoneminder won't crash due to wrong versions of dependencies.

Late to the party on this one.

Was the issue resolved?

If so, please go to your first post and choose edit then (No Prefix) and mark as solved.

If not, by all means let us know.

Cheers

Wizard

still an issue. I need to update a gambas3 component for fedora 29, I can't upgrade any further due to a software issue.

I am somewhat amazed that there are any mirror repo sites for Fedora 28/29 still operational.

I am somewhat amazed that there are any mirror repo sites for Fedora 28/29 still operational.
I just installed a F29 for somebody with same software issue. the repo is active.

I had issues like this in the past, and what I ended up doing was to move the offensively old and not forward-compatible software to a KVM Virtual Machine, and expose the relevant ports to my network.

Even if I don't have a dedicated server box, putting all my servers in VMs or containers does the trick for these kind of situations where I keep lagging a machine behind just because some manufacturer came up with so many breaking changes that upgrading their product is a waste of time.

I know that this may seem overcomplicating a solution, but depending on the pain it causes you to stick that machine to a Fedora 29 (e.g.: if that machine is meant or is able to run other tasks), it may make sense to consider for future uses.

I had issues like this in the past, and what I ended up doing was to move the offensively old and not forward-compatible software to a KVM Virtual Machine, and expose the relevant ports to my network.

Even if I don't have a dedicated server box, putting all my servers in VMs or containers does the trick for these kind of situations where I keep lagging a machine behind just because some manufacturer came up with so many breaking changes that upgrading their product is a waste of time.

I know that this may seem overcomplicating a solution, but depending on the pain it causes you to stick that machine to a Fedora 29 (e.g.: if that machine is meant or is able to run other tasks), it may make sense to consider for future uses.
actually that is a solution I had not thought of but will look into. the issue is there is a software I need that the devs did a pure shit job of making newer versions. broke it quite well so I have to use F29 and the version there however this machine hosts a MySQL server and it works great on 29 but I want to install some new stuff and it needs MySQL but the "driver" for lack of better term the software uses will not work on F29. I will look into the VM option for it tho.

Members online