My Ubuntu 10 server had a failed hard drive - I recovered via backup

S

SHarper

I was surprised when I logged into my Ubuntu 10 server to update it to see that the / partition was mounted read-only and that there were disk errors reported; especially since it is a virtual machine running in the Terremark cloud.

I wiped the harddrive and resinstalled U14 and it booted just fine. I then restored the entire / backup. Upon doing so, it had the same harddrive error as prior. I then created a new virtual machine harddrive and repeated the process. It then still failed too boot but not because of a failed hard drive. It was because the /boot partition was restored to /boot on the / partition. I was able to recover that just fine.

Anyway, has anyone on here seen harddrive corruption on a Terremark VM harddrive? or any VM harddrive for that matter? I did run e2fsck before doing any of the restores, but since the / partition was RO, it wouldn't fix anything. I thought rebooting it would at least let me get back to the OS with a RW / partition, but when I bounced it, the hard drive was completely corrupt and it was only booting to initramfs. Anyway, what else could I have done to correct the harddrive instead of restoring from backup (which worked fined btw).

Thanks.

I have never run into corrupt hard drive issues with any virtual machine.