Multiple questions after fresh KDE neon installation, please answer

3kmardi

Reaction score
Credits
Hello. I've been using Kubuntu for a 2 months on dual boot with windows, then I wanted to try KDE neon so I Installed it on the same partition where Kubuntu was installed removing the Kubuntu off of it. Now Neon is set to boot first in the order.
IMG_20220607_193814.jpg

And I don't know why it's name showing like that but it's ok... Or should I worry about that? Please tell me if I should.
Well things that worries me here are:
a. As Kubuntu is removed from the partition why it's still in the boot order? When I tried to boot it...

IMG_20220607_193921.jpg

This screen written GNU Grub version "something" on the top.

b. And the last one in the boot order is... What is that? I don't have any idea what is that. When I tried booting it, it showed me this....

IMG_20220607_193856.jpg

So now I would like to remove these extra items from my boot order if they are not needed. And if they are being in use so please tell me how, I would really love to have the knowledge.

One more thing here...
In the installation process I was asked to create an "EFI system partition".
IMG_20220607_183033.jpg

Which I did though off course I don't know what that is used for. After all my partitions look like this

IMG_20220607_190045.jpg

Here, I'd like to know about the partition on top. I don't remember creating it, maybe it was created when Kubuntu was installed. All I want to know is... can I delete that partition and add into some other partition? Finally I'd like to highlight my questions... 1. How can I remove the extra two items from my boot order if they are not in use? 2. And if these extra items are supposed to and must be there then what are these? And the last question is 3. Can I delete the partition on the top of my partition table?

My hardware: Acer aspire 7, Ryzen 5 process, 8gb RAM, SSD with 512gb capacity.

Deleting partitions is not wise unless you know exactly what's on that partition.
Also, deleting the partition on the top of your partition table could be a real disaster. I couldn't read the name of the partition at the top of the table.
****That partition at the top could be your "Windows Recovery partition" and that you most certainly do not want to delete.***

Can you boot into your new KDE Neon installation?

IF so, please open g-parted and take a screenshot of your partitions and post it here so we can take a look at it.

Deleting partitions is not wise unless you know exactly what's on that partition.
Also, deleting the partition on the top of your partition table could be a real disaster. I couldn't read the name of the partition at the top of the table.
****That partition at the top could be your "Windows Recovery partition" and that you most certainly do not want to delete.***

Can you boot into your new KDE Neon installation?

IF so, please open g-parted and take a screenshot of your partitions and post it here so we can take a look at it.
Hello Alexzee, thanks for replying.
Yes I can boot into KDE Neon installation. So as you asked I took the screenshot but couldn't successfully upload ot because of slow internet. Anyways, I'll write down the partition info here:

+ dev/nvme0n1p1
- type:fat32
- mount point:
- lable: ESP
- partition label: EFI system partition
- size/used: 100mib/59.24mib

+ dev/nvme0n1p2
- type: unknown
- mount point:
- lable:
- partition label: microsoft reserved partition
- size/used: 16mib/...

+ dev/nvme0n1p3
- type: ntfs
- mount point:
- lable: Acer
- partition label: basic data partition
- size/used: 211.83Gib/53.59Gib

+ dev/nvme0n1p6 (I created this partition during installation when I was prompted)
- type: fat32
- mount point: /boot/efi
- lable: NO_Label
- partition lable:
- size/used: 333mib/5.98mib

+ dev/nvme0n1p4 (I created this partition for linux)
- type: ext4
- mount point: /
- lable: Linux
- partition lable:
- size/used: 263.67Gib/5.31Gib

+ dev/nvme0n1p5
- type: ntfs
- mount point:
- lable: Recovery
- partition lable: basic data partition
- size/used: 1Gib/487.36mib

You can't delete any partitions.
  • nvme0n1p1 - This first partition is used by your UEFI to locate the different bootloaders. If you delete it, nothing will boot. This usually contains microsoft binaries to redirect to nvme0n1p2, and grub binaries to nvme0n1p6.
  • nvme0n1p2 - seems like the bootloader for a Windows installation. It's the place that grub, or the UEFI boot menu, will try to load information if you choose to run Windows.
  • nvme0n1p3 - seems like a Windows installation.
  • nvme0n1p6 - your Linux bootloader -- where GRUB finds its config and the kernels after being found in the first partition
  • nvme0n1p4 - your Linux filesystem
  • nvme0n1p5 - the Windows Recovery Partition that allows you to reinstall windows without any DVD / USB sticlks
To remove items from your boot menu, you need to check the grub configuration manual from your distribution. There are variants to this -- the way you customise the options in your bootloader differ from Debian to Fedora, for example. Not sure what schema KDE Neon adheres to.

Our member: gvisoc is right, you can not delete any of those partitions.

I also don't recommend removing items from your boot menu because if anything goes wrong with your KDE Neon operating system you wouldn't be able to enter into safe/recovery mode to fix anything if need be.

Members online