Motherboard failing

dos2unix

Reaction score
Credits
Currently my main Linux system is...

Base Board Information
Manufacturer: ASRock
Product Name: X570 Phantom Gaming 4 WiFi ax

I got this in 2018. I guess that's six years ago now. Hard to believe it's that old already.
But recently the wifi on the motherboard went out, not a problem I have ethernet and a external USB adapter if I need it.
About a week later, one of my four memory lots went out. So I had to remove two memory modules.
Now I'm getting some USB bus errors. When it rains, it pours. Not a big problem I do have other computers.
But it is disappointing. I have a number of other computers even older than this one. They have no problems.

I usually don't knock hardware vendors, and usually I don't have any reason to. I'm looking at new computers now.
But there's a good chance the next one won't be an ASRock system.

My MSI board that is couple of years older than this one still has everything working, and my ASUS system is almost 12
years old, but it's still plugging along. I've never owned a Supermicro, but I've heard good things about them.
I don't really know much about about Gigabyte. In the data center we mostly have Dell and HP servers with Intel motherboards,
but I have usually leaned towards the AMD Ryzen side. They are usually a little cheaper, and currently hold a performance edge
over the intel CPUs.

Not a big problem I do have other computers.
But it is disappointing. I have a number of other computers even older than this one. They have no problems.

I usually don't knock hardware vendors, and usually I don't have any reason to. I'm looking at new computers now.
But there's a good chance the next one won't be an ASRock system.

My MSI board that is couple of years older than this one still has everything working, and my ASUS system is almost 12
years old, but it's still plugging along.
I have desktops that are 10 years old and they are working flawlessly.
I have owned newer desktops and they have all failed.

Most new electronics doesn't seem to matter what it is just doesn't seem to last for any length of time as it used to.
I'm not being cynical just stating fact based on personal experience.

Need proof of what I say take a drive down most any city street on big trash pickup day and look at all of the electronics out at the curb to be picked up.

We all have different experiences, My preferences were always Asrock and Gigabite,,[ I had a bad experiance with Microstar back in the early 90's , but most makes are now probably fairly equal, although modern MB,s are far less upgradeable than 20 years ago.

We all have different experiences,
Agreed.

These days it seems to be hit and miss or luck of the draw whichever you prefer.
I remember when Dell had a batch of desktops where the motherboard capacitors were failing because of the poor quality of capacitors.

I just bought a new TV and also the 5 year warranty ($25.00) well spent imo.
If the warranty is within a reasonable cost I always purchase it.

I've never owned a Supermicro, but I've heard good things about them.
based on what i'm seeing on the website, those mobos only seem to support server-level processing architecture...which means you'll have to fork some serious cash. I'm seeing some of them that support more standard architectures, but the reviews on newegg don't make them look any more appealing than the other motherboard brands.

I think the best benchmark would be longevity, because that's how you actually get a good dollar-per-hour-used investment on a motherboard.
Over 5 years is about what i'd expect from decent motherboards, unfortunately it doesn't benefit manufacturers financially to make stuff that lasts a very long time...the motherboard itself has to bear a lot of the heat that comes from general operation and the CPU. Those "military grade" motherboards don't ensure longevity either, but are more or less designed to function better in extreme conditions (at least that's what i've gleaned).

Based on this thread, gigabyte and asus seem to be the longevity winners, yet there are MANY factors determining that and this info should be taken with a grain of salt:

I had a computer about 15 years ago that started having a lot of issues. All the problems were actually caused by one failed component. After replacing that single component, I didn't have anymore problems until the CPU finally gave out after a total 10 years of use.

And the reason the CPU gave out was because the.. I can't remember exactly what it's called. I just placed an order for some yesterday, you'd think I would remember.

Anyway, it's the gray paste between the CPU and the heat sink. It got old and crusty. The heat sink came loose, the CPU overheated.

And before someone says something...

When I upgraded the MOBO, the heat sink mounting was different and the adapter I bought was useless. I figured out creative way to mount the heat sink. I got another 8 years out of that PC. Maybe if I looked around I could have found a better mount for the heat sink.

Last edited:
My 10 year old Gigabyte Motherboard (legacy) failed without warning last year...I also needed a new CPU and Ram because old Motherboard was socket 1150 and new is socket 1700 and UEFI.
t2624.gif

I think is boils down to luck...my power supply failed last year...lasted 4 years...the one before and the same brand lasted 6 years so you never know.
t3608.gif

The old Compaq desktop rig truly surprised me. It had an MSI board, and was part of the very last batch Compaq assembled themselves prior to finalization of the HP buyout back in 2003/4.

It lasted until January of 2020.......just prior to the Covid-19 pandemic taking off. Why? Simple; the caps finally dried-out. And these were primarily Nichicons and Rubycons; high-quality components to start with.

Can't sneeze at 17 years, eh? I seriously doubt this HP Pavilion desktop will last anywhere near as long..... Mind you, stranger things have been known to happen. Time will tell...

(The old Dell Inspiron lappie went one better. It lasted all of 20 years.....from 2002 -> 2022. With that one, it was the graphics adapter component of the 82854 chipset that finally gave up the ghost.)

Mike. :)

Yes, it's still important to do research though, especially on how to build the thing.

I don't know what you mean...it's more important to know which computer part has failed...so it can be replaced.
m1213.gif

For those that don't like the truth in Linux forums don't brother to question the valdity of what I state because I will report you and block you lying trolls.

Administrator's Note: I am a little hard to report, and more difficult to block.

Now that I have that out of the way let me respond to the question. Quality has gone down. I would recommend you go with a motherboard from Gigabyte as their quality hasn't gone down like many other hardware manufactures which I have experienced with my latest PC build. I usually go with ASUS motherboards like my 3 previous computer builds but this was a mistake this time in my case because ASUS lied about the motherboard had RAID which took ASUS support a week to finally admit it didn't. The next issue I had with this ASUS motherboard was after 11 months of use I started experiencing random kernel panics that would cause my desktop computer to lock up solid which only physically pressing the power button would unfreeze it. There was no way to find out what was causing the problem until after 13 months of use when my computer wouldn't start because the motherboard finally failed which it was then out of warranty. My next mistake was not listing to people to get a Gigabyte motherboard as this time I went with MSI. The first MSI motherboard went up in smoke right after I pressed the power button. I got it exchahnged at Best Buy and the second MSI motherboard failed after 2 months of use. I replaced it with a Gigabyte motherboard and it's still working. While there can be defective hardware on a rare ocassion but this is rediculous on how much quality has gone down.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I get a early Christmas, or late depending on how you look at it. My wife gave me a little extra allowance this week.
You don't see a video card. I will go with the ole RTX3070ti. It still works, and I just can't see spending $1200.00 for another
20fps, especially since I don't really game that much anyway.

20240130_200909.jpg

Members online

Latest posts