Mint Linux issue with Steam Proton

I have the game running without the black screen you are describing and when the game launches it starts that cut-scene I see what is happening, however not with either ProtonGE or Proton Experimental or other versions of Proton. With ProtonGE it refuses to launch and with Proton Experimental(and other higher and lower versions) I get the same issues you describe and when the cut scene is over I don't even see a menu.

The only way I got it to launch without any issues is by using the native version. Right click on the game, select properties then Compatibility, then put a check next to "Force the use of a specific Steam Play Compatibility tool". Then at the bottom select "Steam Linux Runtime". Your game will have an update, install it then try launching the game. I tried multiplayer but it took to long to find someone to play against, so I cancelled the search. I'm not sure if it's my type of game but I will try the campaign when I am bored of my other games.

I have tried both of the commands
PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 %command%
and
WINE_CPU_TOPOLOGY=26:0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25 %command%
Neither of them work, the same issue is occuring.
Linux mint as of 18.3(I have 21.1), according to the instructions on the website, already has flatpak installed. I have installed a glorious eggroll proton and tried it with that, and nothing changed.
I don't think that steam support will be of much help as I could not find anything to do with any other people having the black screen but game still running issue. Nor do I think that steam FAQ will be able to help, as I play a lot of games(and have been for close to a year) with proton and have only had this issue so far, implying that is mostly an incompatabilty issue with retribution - proton, rather than proton - linux, though I think that proton-linux(linux also meaning just my computer in general) also has some problems as other people that use proton seem to be able to run it fine enough(though keep in mind that is just from the little I understand about how each component works with eachother).
flatpak override --user --filesystem=/path/to/your/Steam/Library com.valvesoftware.Steam
and this
flatpak override --user --env=MANGOHUD=1 com.valvesoftware.Steam
I have used and nothing has changed.

I also can get it running correctly by using steam linux runtime, but it seems that I can't do multiplayer with any of my friends using this, so maybe this way just can't use multiplayer at all? Which, for me, is as good as worthless.

Thank you for your suggestions, if any of this shows any more problems that seem fixable, please let me know. I will probably look to steam support as the next thing that I do to try and fix this.

I also can get it running correctly by using steam linux runtime, but it seems that I can't do multiplayer with any of my friends using this, so maybe this way just can't use multiplayer at all? Which, for me, is as good as worthless.
What happens when you try to do multiplayer with the steam linux runtime? I'll check later if I am able to get it running with a Proton version since I have other things to do now.

What happens when you try to do multiplayer with the steam linux runtime?
I can't check at the moment because my friends are asleep exactly what it says, but it opens an error text box(in-game), and I don't join the game. Trying to find a multiplayer game has been running since you posted about steam linux runtime, and has not found a game

If you're experiencing issues with MultiPlayer and don't want to use runtime, there may be an alternative solution to consider. One option is to try installing Steam using Wine and using Lutris to install the game through Steam to see if it works.

By installing Steam through Wine and using Lutris to manage your games, you may be able to bypass any issues related to MultiPlayer and enjoy your game.

However, it's important to keep in mind that installing software through Wine can be a complex and potentially unstable process. You should have a good understanding of what you're doing before attempting to install software using Wine. Additionally, not all games are compatible with Wine, and even if a game does work, it may not perform as well as it would on a native Windows installation.

It's worth noting that there may be other potential solutions to consider, such as using a virtual machine or dual-booting your system. Virtual machines allow you to run a Windows environment within your Linux or macOS operating system, while dual-booting involves installing both Linux and Windows on separate partitions on your hard drive and choosing which one to boot into at startup. These solutions may have their own drawbacks and require additional setup and maintenance, so it's important to weigh your options and choose the solution that works best for you.

If you're experiencing issues with MultiPlayer and don't want to use runtime, there may be an alternative solution to consider. One option is to try installing Steam using Wine and using Lutris to install the game through Steam to see if it works.
Yes, I have used Lutris in the past but at some point it just broke and I couldn't log in to the emulated steam anymore, It just kept perpetually loading. I will look into the other options you mention and try one of them if it I can't get it working without them in maybe a couple of days.

I forgot there is a way to get a proton log file by using a variable and I came across the following in my steam.log file.
The NVIDIA driver was unable to open 'libnvidia-glvkspirv.so.530.41.03'. This library is required at run time.
So I added the following launch options, if you have an Nvidia card it might be worth to try that as well and then to see if you see anything that stand out in your steam.log file.
PROTON_LOG=1 PROTON_HIDE_NVIDIA_GPU=0 PROTON_ENABLE_NVAPI=1 %command%

I posted my steam debug log file to the Github issue for the game, will see if anyone can get anything useful out of it.

Last edited:
I forgot there is a way to get a proton log file by using a variable and I came across the following in my steam.log file.

So I added the following launch options, if you have an Nvidia card it might be worth to try that as well and then to see if you see anything that stand out in your steam.log file.

I posted my steam debug log file to the Github issue for the game, will see if anyone can get anything useful out of it.

I used to have a lot more, but these are the ones I have.
Code:
DXVK_HUD=1
DXVK_ASYNC=1
DXVK_HUD=compiler
MANGOHUD=1
PROTON_ENABLE_NVAPI=1
PROTON_LOG=1
PROTON_HEAP_DELAY_FREE=1
PROTON_HIDE_NVIDIA_GPU=0
PROTON_NO_ESYNC=1
PROTON_FORCE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE=1
PROTON_USE_D9VK=1
PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1
PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=150
RADV_PERFTEST=aco
MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.4COMPAT
NOVK3D=1
WINEDLLOVERRIDES="d3dcompiler_47=n;dxgi=n,b"
STAGING_SHARED_MEMORY=0
 __GL_SHADER_DISK_CACHE_SKIP_CLEANUP=1
 __GL_SHADER_DISK_CACHE=1
 __GL_SHADER_DISK_CACHE_PATH="/mnt/Games/Chash"
 __GL_SHOW_GRAPHICS_OSD=1
 MESA_DISK_CACHE_SINGLE_FILE=1

PROTON_USE_D9VK is obsolete.
d9vk PROTON_USE_D9VK Note: Obsoleted in Proton 5.0. In older versions, use Vulkan-based DXVK instead of OpenGL-based wined3d for d3d9.
AFAIK the ones with MESA and RADV in the name(MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE, RADV_PERFTEST, MESA_DISK_CACHE_SINGLE_FILE) or more applicable if you have an AMD graphics card. I remember you having an Nvidia graphics card? As for myself I use the least amount of launch options that will allow me to run the game without me seeing or hearing anything weird, so most of my games don't have many launch option, the ones that got the most are the newer games where I have the Nvidia launch options set.

I also thought that these two do the same.
WINEDLLOVERRIDES=nvapi,nvapi64=n
PROTON_ENABLE_NVAPI=1
The first one for when using wine and the second one for when using Proton?

I took a quick look at the Log, and this is what I was able to see: The game appears to be encountering an issue related to SIGSYS signals. This could be due to a variety of factors, such as incorrect system configurations, conflicting software, or outdated dependencies.

I'm installing a virtual machine and installing Mint on it to see if I encounter the same problem. If I do, I will try to find a way around it since I already own the game. I own most of the Warhammer games but never really played them.

I took a quick look at the Log, and this is what I was able to see: The game appears to be encountering an issue related to SIGSYS signals. This could be due to a variety of factors, such as incorrect system configurations, conflicting software, or outdated dependencies.

I'm installing a virtual machine and installing Mint on it to see if I encounter the same problem. If I do, I will try to find a way around it since I already own the game. I own most of the Warhammer games but never really played them.
I bought the game today to see if I could see if I could get the game running properly through Proton, just to have a first person view on it so I might be able to help @rhainiac better. I'm not running Linux Mint but Fedora 38 and running Steam as a Flatpak. It depends on what you mean with system configurations, I don't think touching sysctl and limit should be necesarry in order to play a game on Linux. So if I never touch those even when I can't get a game to run. I think it may have to do with this though.
The NVIDIA driver was unable to open 'libnvidia-glvkspirv.so.530.41.03'. This library is required at run time.

55415.052:0124:0128:trace:loaddll:build_module Loaded L"C:\\windows\\system32\\uxtheme.dll" at 70D80000: builtin
55415.059:0124:0128:trace:seh:signal (2, 00000001)
55415.059:0124:0128:trace:seh:signal (22, 00000001)
55415.059:0124:0128:trace:seh:signal (2, 00000000)
55415.059:0124:0128:trace:seh:signal (22, 00000000)
As you pointed out the SIGSYS but that's right after the nvidia driver fails to load.

I just remembered some default setting Fedora and Steam have been working on which Fedora is going to make default in Fedora 39.

Last edited:
sadwdasdwasd.png

I've managed to find a solution to the black screen problem. However, the game didn't run smoothly in the Oracle VM VirtualBox (VM) environment, as it experienced significant lag. I used Linux Mint 21.1 for my operating system, and this is the process I followed:

1. Ensure that your GPU driver is installed correctly. In my case, I used the latest Nvidia driver, version 530.
  2. Install DXVK by running the following command:
Code:
sudo apt install dxvk

1. Install Protontricks using this command:
Code:
flatpak install flathub com.github.Matoking.protontricks

1. Open Protontricks, choose the game, and make sure you have the latest version.
  2. If you haven't already, install Protontricks using the link below:
https://flathub.org/apps/com.github.Matoking.protontricks

1. Launch the game with Protontricks and select the default Wineprefix.
  2. Choose to install Windows DLLs, and within that menu, install DXVK, d3dx9_42, d3dcompiler_42, d3dcompiler_43, and d3dcompiler_47.
  3. Lastly, I didn't use any Steam launch options.
Give this process a try and see if it helps resolve the black screen issue you're experiencing.

Last edited:
Give this process a try and see if it helps resolve the black screen issue you're experiencing.
I already had the Flatpak version of dxvk(org.winehq.Wine.DLLs.dxvk) installed. A few of those options in Protontricks were already selected but I installed the remaining ones and it worked, so this should work for @rhainiac as well. Although I tried waiting for a multiplayer game, not sure if it just takes long to find the game or that multiplayer doesn't work using Proton/Wine so it seems the same as with the Steam Linux runtime when it comes to match making. I only bought the game to try and get it to run, might try playing the campaign but it doesn't look like my kind of game.

How did you figure out which components you needed to install? You should post it in the Github issue and ProtonDB since this is your solution I'm sure this will work for others there too.

Last edited:
Thank you both so much for all the help. @kibasnowpaw 's solution works very well, me and my friends are having much fun because of this. Have a great day!
Your welcome

I already had the Flatpak version of dxvk(org.winehq.Wine.DLLs.dxvk) installed. A few of those options in Protontricks were already selected but I installed the remaining ones and it worked, so this should work for @rhainiac as well. Although I tried waiting for a multiplayer game, not sure if it just takes long to find the game or that multiplayer doesn't work using Proton/Wine so it seems the same as with the Steam Linux runtime when it comes to match making. I only bought the game to try and get it to run, might try playing the campaign but it doesn't look like my kind of game.

How did you figure out which components you needed to install? You should post it in the Github issue and ProtonDB since this is your solution I'm sure this will work for others there too.

From my experience, I recall discussing gaming in Wine quite frequently in the past. This situation is somewhat similar, so I applied the same strategies that I used back then. If my initial approach hadn't worked, I would have tried using DXVK.config and explored other options. I still believe that getting games like Resident Evil to work can be challenging due to the need for Windows Media Player (WMP) installation, which doesn't always go smoothly depending on various factors.
I will give github and protondb a holler.

Thank you both so much for all the help. @kibasnowpaw 's solution works very well, me and my friends are having much fun because of this. Have a great day!
Great to hear you are able to play online with you friends now!

Members online