Mint 18.3 Cinnamon Dual Boot Issues with Win7

O.K. that's the kind of thinking I can sink my teeth into. But when you ask which version I want, I couldn't have told you which I really wanted, or why. Someone way back (months in time) when I was having basic Linux problems based upon my own nativity, told me the answer was to go to the 'newer 19.1' and just side step the problem. You can likely read the exchange by looking thru the original early posts. So I just kind of harboured that suggestion even though I started paying close attention to the posts of others seeing the pros & cons. Just a couple of weeks ago I had decided I didn't need anymore confusion dealing with Linux and I decided not to go with 19.1. If you've got some convincing facts other than the EOL of what I've got, please let me know what they are. Otherwise, let's just stay with what I'm slowly beginning to understand.

What I don't comprehend is how to properly plan the use of disk space...and do I just use it as storage, all of it? Or, is it wise to put a duplicate bootable O/S as a backup on the same computer that could likely crash? If it's to be used as storage, taking in my age, Linux experience and limited use of computers (Linux and Windows), was I just plain stupid to get the large external as well as internal SSD's. I know my original thinking was to get rid of the internal HDD's because I did have one fail me and caused a mess.

So I guess I am looking and hoping that you can give me some direction. Following some of your past advice has been challenging simply because of my unfamiliarity with the programs that I needed to use just to follow your advice, as stupid as that may sound to some 19yr old who cut his teeth on all this stuff. I'd love to have just the understanding of what you've forgotten Chris. Using Aptik and GParted properly and efficiently, I still have not achieved. Getting photos/files moved from Windows to Linux???...what an exercise of my lack of understanding. There is no GUI software to help me either. I get terminal input that's supposed to work but when I go to copy the terminal code/instructions, my touchpad on the Toshiba doesn't work. If I select to copy and the code is too long my touchpad fails me. And pasting doesn't work when I try to insert in into the Terminal. You see what I've been up against...to much understanding needed and too little time to cram in all in.

I really appreciate you (thoughtfully said)!
Doc

I get terminal input that's supposed to work but when I go to copy the terminal code/instructions, my touchpad on the Toshiba doesn't work. If I select to copy and the code is too long my touchpad fails me. And pasting doesn't work when I try to insert in into the Terminal. You see what I've been up against...to much understanding needed and too little time to cram in all in.

Hey Doc, couple of questions.

1. Have you thought of investing in a wireless mouse for the Toshiba laptop?

2. Have you got a Linux on the Toshiba at the moment, if so, which?

3. Do you want to run the T5 off the Toshiba or off the Desktop? I expect the Toshiba.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris! One problem after another, huh?

Your 1st suggestion, I'll try but getting the one for this model of Toshiba may not be easy. I see all kinds of wireless mice for different models but none for mine (C655-S5090). Would mice for models possibly work for mine? Ideas? Right now it is strictly touchpad functioning...and that's the problem when it comes to copy/paste functions in Linux. Either the touchpad is worn (it seems to work at times) or I'm performing the tasks wrong.

The wireless I had (and it did work for awhile) is M/S Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse 3000. However even with a changed battery it doesn't move the mouse even on the desktop. The device is recognized but doesn't move the cursor.

The O/S is Mint 18.3 exclusively on the Toshiba...and the T5 has always been hooked up via usb with the Toshiba.

The desktop has it's separate system.

Doc

If you give me the output from Terminal in Mint on the Toshiba of

Code:
inxi -M

... that will give us the details on your Toshiba name and model, then I can check for a mouse.

Do you have a printer connected to either of the rigs, so that if I detail instructions you can print them off and have them at your side?

Let's ramp up getting the Toshiba and the T5 into gear. :D

Wiz

Hi Chris...here's the snapshot.

My Epson Printer doesn't work with Linux Mint 18.3. Too old so no drivers for the L210. However just send it and I can send print command from Win7.
Screenshot from 2019-01-27 13-23-00.png

Linux Foundation have a good printer database growing all the time. Yours is there see picture.

cGONCSj.png

Where my cursor is pointing is the one you want to download, it says 1.0.0.DEB, just click that and a download box will open.

Just download it for now and we can look at installing after, or if you can't print my document from Windows.

On mouse -

SumacLife Wireless USB Mouse and Adapter

... is supposed to be compatible with the Toshiba Satellite C655.

You can get it at Amazon, and it may be as little as USD$10 plus postage.

The mouse will ship with a small dongle that looks as the one beside the batteries below

dNgfz9q.png

Also known as a "nano" dongle, it should be in the packaging, but I had one 9 months ago where it was actually in a small cradle inside the mouse near the battery bay.

You just plug in the dongle to a USB port, and it should be plug and play.

Document coming up within a day.

Wizard

Chris...send me the active link separately if you can. It is not readable when I click on the image/link and I can't increase the size of the actual screen shot you are showing me by using Cntl+either. I'm sorry. It's just too small.

Can I go to the Linux Foundation and look for the 1.0.0.DEB?

NICE FIND !!

images

Download the middle one. Hard to get newer than that :)

Great! Now Epson's download page is confusing. I'm attaching a shot. If you can please assure me as to which DEB file to download?
Screenshot from 2019-01-28 09-41-33.png

O.K., I did the amd.deb download...it's done. I'll wait on you for whatever testing you want to do.
Screenshot from 2019-01-28 10-05-34.png
Screenshot from 2019-01-28 10-05-34.png

Awe...what's to lose, right. I used a test page using LibreOffice Writer and zap!!! It printed!
Now there's a 4-in-1 Epson Scanner package. Do I try to download it too?

what the heck...gave the scanner pkg a shot and it seems to have downloaded fine.
Screenshot from 2019-01-28 10-50-29.png
BUT can't send a test page to scanner. Notice the small message above the LM icon.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2019-01-28 13-13-17.png
    Screenshot from 2019-01-28 13-13-17.png
    454.5 KB · Views: 570
You have downloaded the .deb, but have you installed it?

Possibly the easiest way is to install it with gdebi. If you don't have it install it.

When you have gdebi RIGHT click on the download and choose "Install with Gdebi".

On the Forum (linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=228387) it seems this guy was having the same problem. It may be what is called a Group Right problem and that something called a scanner group needs to be added to my User (Dick). I don't know how to get that one done. I found the 2 users (Dick and Ann) but how can I add a scanner group...how do I create one and then get Epson to see it?

I'm thinking I got the scanner driver downloaded because a new applet called ImageScan for Linux is now showing on my desktop. That's the source of the small error message.

You have downloaded the .deb, but have you installed it?

Possibly the easiest way is to install it with gdebi. If you don't have it install it.

When you have gdebi RIGHT click on the download and choose "Install with Gdebi".

I've gone to Software Mgr and gdebi is there. I can see the option to 'Launch' but nothing else is functional. When I click on Launch (on the Toshiba which is what this is all about...I'm responding to you on Win7 right now), the Package Installer screen opens but is blank. If it is working it isn't showing me the ongoing results. I'm just hoping I'm not screwing up all of my other downloaded packages. You say to right click on it...but obviously I'm not where I should be in order to comply.

Do I right click on gdebi from the Software Manager? Sorry!

I'm just playing catch up but you're doing fine, Dick :)

I'll grab another coffee and then swing over to LInux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon and be back soon.

Wiz

View attachment 3725 View attachment 3725

I have no idea where the above came from. I tried to answer another moderator just earlier who was giving advice on the scanner issue and how to install gdebi since it's downloaded but apparently not installed. It wasn't clear to me as to how to go about doing what he said to do since I had already downloaded the proper deb package from Epson. It just hasn't been installed apparently, he says. Right now I'm a little confused but I'll get my head cleared again tomorrow.

Thanks for being there!
Doc

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2019-01-28 13-13-17.png
    Screenshot from 2019-01-28 13-13-17.png
    454.5 KB · Views: 751
This for when you are bright-eyed and bushy-tailed :)

If something like this comes up, for GDebi

V03cY81.png

... that's fine! It is what it is supposed to do. The secondary window is because I clicked Launch. There is nothing further to go with because we haven't selected a package for GDebi to install.

SCANNER

Let's forget about the scanner for now, we can cover that after, with your starting a new Thread on how to install the scanner. We have quite enough to deal with here, currently, I am sure you will agree.:D

PRINTER

You've already got a test page printed, so that sounds promising.

Go to LM Menu and start to type in

settings

vK3EPrK.png

You will see that near my cursor it now shows up System Settings, and note that the icon of two cogged wheels inter-meshing is the same as that at the left 3rd down (above Terminal). So this will take us to Control Center (it also describes that at bottom right).

In Control Center, scroll down to Hardware and find Printers, click on it, and see if the Epson L210 is listed there. If it is, we are likely in business. If not, report back and we'll doublecheck some GDebi voodoo. :cool:

IF THE PRINTER ICON IS THERE

Open your File Manager, Nemo. See this screenshot

nLRFI6N.png

Here, I have gone to File System, and you can follow the path I have followed by looking at top of shot - I have doubleclicked usr, then the same with share, and the same with alsa (one of our sound facilities).

There, we could choose any of the files that show as ABC at the top, I have chosen

pulse-alsa.conf

because it is only a few lines.

Right-click it and choose Open With - LibreOffice.

In Libre Office, it may show as Read-only because the folder we have chosen is owned not by us Users, but by Root. Doesn't matter, we can still print it.

Go to File - Print, and if the print preview screen comes up with print options, just click OK to print. If it prints, we are good.

Wizard

Members online