Makulu Linux Shift - 16 different Desktops with a click?

xlbooyahlx

Reaction score
Credits
I ran across this distro the other day, and tried finding a video review, but the only one I could find was of an older release. So I downloaded the ISO and ran a live usb, and even then it was fairly quick to switch desktops, from Unity theme, to Gnome theme, to Plasma, etc with a click. Debian, Ubuntu based, and you get 8 different desktops for free, but have to pay $30.00 (kind of takes the "F" out of FOSS though) for the other 4, which gives you the ability to make your own ISO also.
I just took a quick video (not a review) of the 07-11-23 release since there were none out there.
Here's their website.
Makes it VERY easy for a n00b to customize.
I thought someone might be interested. ;)

Last edited:

A bit of a nitpick...

The F in FOSS is 'free' as in the sense of liberty. Selling FOSS software has been considered a good thing since the start of the movement. There's free as in free beer, which is always nice. Then, there's free as in the liberty to see, modify, and distribute the code (within the agreements set out by the license).

I'll share a link from RMS, but beware that he does like to type and type and type (among other things):

While I'm not a huge fan of him, his contributions are many and he has a nasty habit of being correct.

I have my own personal reasons for my position.

I have my own personal reasons for my position.
I understand.
I come from "If I like it, I donate", and if I don't, I won't.
;)

I come from "If I like it, I donate", and if I don't, I won't.

How very apt. EFF gets a regular monthly donation. I do not donate to the FSF.

Off-topic, I just got a donation on my site a couple of days ago. That always makes me smile. It went straight to the CDN provider.

That's great bro, it always is when someone shows you that they apprediate the work you're doing! ;)

These days, I get a great deal of traffic and that's the greatest demonstration of appreciation I can think of.

Google considers it a 'high traffic' website, and I suppose it is. Consider that the average website may get slightly less than a hundred hits a month, because the reality is that only a very small percentage of websites get meaningful traffic.

That said, and to keep it on-topic, I've decided to download this distro and poke at it. I doubt it'll replace anything, but it sounds like fun to play with it in a VM. I'll let it download tonight, after I'm asleep.

I've decided to download this distro and poke at it.
My first impression of it was that it's a "glitzy" distro aimed at n00bs looking for an easily customizable distro.
You may find more, as all I did was take the live USB for a quick spin.
Their docs say their GameR spin is all the drivers you'll need for gaming, etc.
My guees is that it'll take a bare metal install to really see if/what it really has to offer.
An all in one distro, more or less, and they have three spins in total. GameR, Max, and Shift.
Post back with your findings if you will bro.
PS: I can't imagine this distro is light on resources though lol :D

Last edited:
My guees is that it'll take a bare metal install to really see if/what it really has to offer.

The best it'll get is a VM and a 30 minute evaluation. It may not even make the full 30 minutes, that depends on how much it impresses me.

The best it'll get is a VM and a 30 minute evaluation
I wasn't even hinting that it would be done by you bro lol.
If i get a few spare hours this week I'll give it a go, and a proper review ;)

I have limited time and have to allocate it carefully. For example, you'll seldom see me here before noon (my time). If you do, there's a reason for it. I have a rather appreciable car collection and my mornings are reserved for driving. Then, there's the time I give to this site. (The list goes on.)

So, 30 minutes in a VM is pretty good. I have it downloading now via wget with the -c flag so it should be good if it fails and I need to restart it.

Staff online

Latest posts