Making a distro

sanca

Reaction score
Credits
Hello. I am thinking of creating a Linux distribution, but i don't know how. I think of starting it basic, without any particular use. I don't want it to be LFS, because i am quite a beginner, and it is complicated (at least for me). I think of basing it on Debian, with Gnome as the desktop environment. Could anyone guide me through, or send a tutorial? Thanks!
EDIT: i wanna create a live-cd first, then make an installer. also, some modifications i will make myself.
Another edit: are there step-by-step tutorials out there? also, i could base it on arch, if it would be more straightforward.
even another edit: how to delete this thread

Last edited:

am thinking of creating a Linux distribution, but i don't know how.
Welcome to the forums
What you are describing is not creating a distribution, it is modifying one,You can take any current distribution and make it your own by changing the default application selection and DE.

Look at
Pay particular attention to the question "why?"

There are hundreds of distros without creating another.

Your question often recurs. It mostly seems to be students who are told by their lecturer to create a distro. The students look for an easy way to do this...

... because i am quite a beginner, and it is complicated (at least for me).
Welcome to the forums.

I suggest you put this project on hold indefinitely. Better to try at least three of the popular distros, at least three which are no so popular, the three "pillars" and finally, read a lot (but a lot) into systems programming (an awful lot of C/C++ and assembly language) and into Linux From Scratch. This is if you are determined to get your own operating system.

What are the three "pillars", I call them and some people call them?

(Watch out for the last one, but it can't be helped if you terminally insist in going into HTTPS-only sites. It's not bad, it's Slackware, the oldest distro that is still alive and kicking!)

Three which are not so popular? Um... that is subjective, but there are a few of them which are not based on anything. Such as Plop, Solus and Void. Also we're not supposed to say Nutyx is based on anything, although it was derrived from LFS. Then there are a few others which cannot be taken lightly, such as Artix, which was based on Arch Linux but without "systemd" and many other changes. Another advantage would be to learn some server-side stuff, such as Debian or Slackware without desktop environment but I don't know much about that.

At least two members of this forum use Tiny Core Linux. You might want to ask them about it, so you realize how difficult it is to create an operating system after not spending enough time enjoying it and understanding it.

It's better to enjoy at least one distribution. Then read about customizing it. Such as somebody who succeeded using KWin into LXQt, was determined to do it and succeeded in a certain Arch-based distribution.

Hello. I am thinking of creating a Linux distribution, but i don't know how. I think of starting it basic, without any particular use. I don't want it to be LFS, because i am quite a beginner, and it is complicated (at least for me). I think of basing it on Debian, with Gnome as the desktop environment. Could anyone guide me through, or send a tutorial? Thanks!
EDIT: i wanna create a live-cd first, then make an installer. also, some modifications i will make myself.
Another edit: are there step-by-step tutorials out there? also, i could base it on arch, if it would be more straightforward.
even another edit: how to delete this thread

This is something you can use for a arch linux spin of your own. It's very easy and will output a custom iso for you.

I've never thought this to be a particularly good idea, even for experienced users.

Since you're building something that's utterly unique and specific to only you, you would need to spend ALL your time researching security blogs, downloading source code, re-compiling and re-building tons of dependencies and other items, simply to remain secure.....

You'd be taking on the responsibilities of a research, development & maintenance team ALL BY YOURSELF.

What a palaver..!!

Mike. o_O

Last edited:
Your question often recurs. It mostly seems to be students who are told by their lecturer to create a distro. The students look for an easy way to do this...
Yup.....and invariably, the lecturer him/herself doesn't really understand quite WHAT it IS that they're requesting of their students when they do this. It just sounds like a nice, time-consuming project that'll keep the students busy and "out of their hair" for the duration of the semester....

Mike. :rolleyes:

I've never thought this to be a particularly good idea, even for experienced users.

Since you're building something that's utterly unique and specific to only you, you would need to spend ALL your time researching security blogs, downloading source code, re-compiling and re-building tons of dependencies and other items, simply to remain secure.....

You'd be taking on the responsibilities of a research, development & maintenance team ALL BY YOURSELF.

What a palaver..!!

Mike. o_O
Myself personally do agree totally with this. But on the other hand I wanted to do this and after watching countless hours of videos and tutorials i finally gave up on tutorials and simply did it myself. It may seem like a big humungus task but in the end I figured it out and decided to make a builder that others can use with ease.

Members online