Mail Configuration Help

A

Amjad Ali

Dear Linux master

I am new to Linux and need some help in configuring mail servers in test environment and later on in production. My scenario is as under:-

I am having two PCs (one is with Win 7 OS and other with RHEL 5.4)currently connecting through Ethernet. Win PC will be used as client and PC with Red Hat as server. What I have to do is to configure mail on PC with Red Hat. User will login through client machine and send email (through mail server config on the Reh Hat PC). Other user will login on Red Hat PC and open email through localhost and sends him the reply. This is just a point to point connection. My questions is how can I implement this whole scenario, I have searched a lot on internet but not got any idea that how this all work.

Help is requested

Ryanvade and VitalkaDrug , Thanks for your help..

As per above mentioned scenarios I have configured DNS server. Configured MTA (sendmail), Dovecot (IMAP) and squirrel mail as MUA. These all are tested.

I have some questions and issues.

1. How to create users (email address) for sending email? Currently I am logging through server OS user login in squirrelmail. Should I have to create more OS accounts for logging in squirrelmail
2. When I send mail through CLI without squirrelmail, I can see that in /var/spool/mail however not in squirremail Inbox, same can also be read through CLI. Mail send through CLI also being shown in Inbox of squirrel mail.

Sorry for stupid questions

Thanks in advance

If you are using virtual mail boxes then you can create non-system email accounts. IE that don't require system accounts. Otherwise, yes you do have to create accounts on the OS for each mail account.

When it comes to server management, I simply love webmin. It's most likely ready to install from your average distribution software channels.

Thanks Ryanvade...

Help on this issue is requested:-

When I send mail through CLI without squirrelmail, I can see that in /var/spool/mail and mail can also be read through CLI. It means there is no issue in sending and recieving mail. However, when I send mail through squirrelmail mail are not being recieved. Strange thing is mail sent throgh CLI also shown in Inbox of squirrelmail..... Any help please

@ryanvade
which config file needs tobe shared..?? Please share your email address as I am unable to post config/ log files, due to site restrictions

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Thanks Ryanvade.. Issue has been resolved.

Thanks again for your prompt responses

Members online