MacBook Accessing Linux Server

rAIner-linux

Reaction score
Credits
Let's say I have some MacBooks, iPads, iPhones and a Linux Desktop in my little home network (i.e. they have all internet access through the same router).

1. Can I start UNIX batch files from the MacBook on the Linux Desktop? (yes/no)
2. Can I access (read and/or write) files from the MacBook on the Linux Desktop? (yes/no)
3. Are there any Linux distributions completely free of charge? (yes/no...which?)

G'day Rainer, Welcome to Linux.org

I can answer number three on your list

There are far too many free distros to name here....suffice be it to say that the vast majority of linux distros are free.

Re: 1. The macbook is able to run most unix commands in a terminal. May need to download some utils from homebrew if they're not already installed.

Re: 2. Networking with file access between macbook and a linux box can be through ssh or samba or both.

Re: 3. What Condobloke mentioned in post #2 :)

Even the paid Linux versions (desktop and server) may have a free version for developers. You don't actually have to develop anything, you just have to sign up.

This is less true in the proprietary space that includes things like embedded Linux for controllers (which strikes me as being backward as those are the spaces I'd want developers helping my bottom line, but nobody asks me).

Staff online

Members online