Mac OS?

dos2unix

Reaction score
Credits
It seems most of the OS wars discussion on here are Windows vs Linux, as expected.
But what about the good ole Apple Mac? How is it doing in 2023?

It's funny, that as far as mobile phone OS's go, Android has about 2/3rd of the market and Apple has about 1/3rd of the market.
Which is somewhat surprising given the amount of marketing for the iPhones.
But Android itself is partially based on Linux, so you could say... well I won't say it.

It must irk Microsoft to no end, that Apple was successful in the Mobile game, while the MS Windows phone... not so much.

So then we move to the Desktop, where Windows has a commanding lead as expected. A little over 62%.
Like cell phones, Apple is again in second place, with a little over 18%.
Linux is pretty low in the desktop market, less than 3%.
Wikipedia lists "unknown OS's" at about 13%. Hmmm... does that mean that Linux could really be as high as 16%?

But then we move to the Server market. This is where Linux shines. Microsoft still holds the lead here.
With almost 50% of the market. Windows does have the advantage of being easy to use, and has tons of documentation,
and does have some commercial support such as is. But Linux comes in at 41% vs Microsoft's 47%. Only 6% difference.
Of that 40 percent or so, Redhat holds a commanding lead in the data center.

About 2 to 1, over all other OS's besides Windows. ( AIX, HPUX, Solaris, BSD, etc... ) including other Linux's.

So then, if Apple is a distant 2nd in Mobile ( cell phones )
And also a distant second on the Desktop.
.. and virtually non-existent in the Cloud/Data-center Server market, ...
How does Apple hold on? Don't get me wrong, Apple makes a ton of money. I personally think it's good that Microsoft has some free-enterprise competition ( despite conspiracy theories that the same people run both companies )

But given current trends, Apple will never own the mobile market, desktop market or least of all the Server market.

In the public-facing server market, that is webservers and databases open to the world wide web, Linux appears to have a commanding lead. While not impossible, it's getting rare to even find shared hosting on the Windows platform, and those services command quite a bit more money.

What I am against Apple is their guilt they commit about the environment.
My house is littered with Apple’s stuff (iPod, iPad, wires …) the exception of two Intel Macs that I manage to save thanks to Linux.

But given current trends, Apple will never own the mobile market, desktop market or least of all the Server market.
This is because they are changing their junk every 3 to 5 years so that people keep buying to remain in the ultimate "in" crowd. (shrugs)

I used to belong to another forum, still exists based in Europe, which had to do with computer music (more software, less gear) where there is regular rambling by and about MacOS users. Especially those buying a product with a certain plug-in format which no longer works and have to resort to Rosetta and stuff like that I don't know that much about. The company controlling that plug-in format decided to dump it and discourage any more production for it, in favor of one which has been around at least 15 years but they insist on enforcing it. Because they have a partnership with Apple Computer and other companies to enforce it.

Not surprisingly, an awful lot of people on that forum swearing by Macintoshes are involved in online subscriptions, with various ways of mind-boggling copy protection.

This is babbling from what I read in the other forum. It might not paint an accurate picture. Apple Computer might have to settle down a bit if they want to dominate anything except dreamland.

Apple, to me, have always been over priced & under powered; even trying to boot Linux on them causes headaches, usually - why do people buy their stuff? - Prestige - the poor idiots! :lol:

I own an Apple Iphone, 7 plus. My Wife and iPhone 11.

We would not be without them. They are amazingly simple to operate. They has enough apps etc which also work seamlessly.

The initial price was no more than an android. I had android phones prior to this and encountered nothing but trouble and malware, junkware, intrusion upon intrusion.......and an over the top complicated mess....not intuitive at all.

Given the time to look at the settings carefully on my iphones, I am more than satisfied with the security.

I liken it to using Linux Mint, Secure, Simple, Rock Solid, Affordable, and long lasting.

The same goes for the Ipad which inhabits our home....bulletproof.

I liken it to using Linux Mint, Secure, Simple, Rock Solid, Affordable, and long lasting.

The same goes for the Ipad which inhabits our home....bulletproof.

After 10 years the hardware is still rock solid, but software wise, they are useless bricks.

After 10 years the hardware is still rock solid, but software wise, they are useless bricks.
They are the best machines to install linux upon ! Trust me, after 15 years on using Mac hardware, I know… Software side is OK, with long support (8 years+), only negative about that is the fact they are hammering MacOS so closed as they can with every new version. No more thinkering with the OS, always less oppertunities to have control over its operation…

Cheers,
Eddy

Members online