Looking for a scheduler, more advanced than an alarm clock

proN00b

Reaction score
Credits
I searched this forum for "alarm" but instead of software related posts the search results are in large part about unrelated stuff, e.g. some political issues.

For simplicity let's call "Alarm Clock" what I'm looking for.
It should be more advanced than a usual popup alarm, especially in flexibility of integer minute time intervals for repeating tasks.

Really I'm looking for a replacement of all software I use on Windows, and I'm thinking about Debian 12 as my first attempt to use Linux and then much later when I get used to Linux maybe switch to something like Nix OS if it will have more documentation (system backup by ONE configuration file is god tier overpowered control, but I hear the documentation is not yet mature).

Ideally the advanced Alarm Clock should do all of this:

Allow to set an unlimited (or large) number of scheduled actions, both:
show a non-active popup window with any predefined message​
and simultaneously if defined​
play any sound file (with optional preset duration and optional looping) and​
run any command line input (e.g. open a web page, a txt file, spreadsheet or start a video player with a playlist or a video file).​

With GUI or at least an editable config file of a time-sorted list of scheduled actions.
That list can be backed up and restored from a settings file that can be edited without using the GUI of the Alarm Clock.
Deactivate/enable any action on that list without deleting it
preferably by check-boxes on the list of all scheduled actions​
or by editing the settings file.​

Two aspects of timing can be set simultaneously for any one action:
initial time and date​
period duration to repeat the action.​

Period duration can be set by
selecting a unit (minutes, hours, days, weeks etc) and
if the unit is minutes then
integer input:​
any number from 1 up to at least the 2nd next higher unit,​
e.g. for minutes at least up to 1440 = 24*60, or for hours at least up to 168 = 7*24.​
otherwise
either integer or some selection inputs, e.g.​
check-boxes for week days if the selected unit is weekly.​

God tier, pipe dream requirement:
Also works on the worst OS on the planet: Windows, or there is some workaround to make it work on that swamp.

Last edited:

Not GUI, but we have 'cron', 'anacron', & 'at' on (nearly) all systems, so maybe take a look at their man pages.

Staff online