Linux OS/ Android OS: I want to try doing a firmware update to a JBL Speaker without using a Smartphone.

Reaction score
Credits
I own a JBL charge 4 speaker. It is a bluetooth speaker. A normal person would just pair it up to a smartphone running android or an Iphone, and install the JBL app, then check for firmware updates. I have no idea if a firmware update would help my speaker out or not. But every now and then, it starts to sound distorted. Doing a hard reset fixes the problem but it erases my bluetooth connections. That means I alos need to erase my bluetooth adapters and start all over again. I've been wondering if a simple firmware update might solve the problem. Yet I can't do that firmware update because I don't own or want to own a smartphone. I came up with the idea that if I could buy a USB bluetooth adapter for my computer then I could run Android in virtualbox and then install the app, and then upgrade the speaker. The USB bluetooth adpater is EDIMAX BT-8500. It works good on Linux Mint 21.2. However I've been messing around with Android in virtualbox and haven't been able to get it to make use of the adapter. I'm curious if any of you would have any suggestions for me.

Members online