Linux on SSD

kensoft

Reaction score
Credits
Hey guys, there's this ssd I bought from China that's only taking Windows OS but not Linux distro; have tried multiple distros but upon restarting laptop it says no bootable device found, but for windows is going very well without issues. What could be the problem? It's new from the manufacturer.

Why Linux fails to load, common reasons
1] Corrupt download [check SHA sum]
2] bad burn to installation medium [try again] [if you used Rufus then try Balina-etcher
3] Wind 8.2 and higher quick start/fast boot or secure boot not disabled [doesn't normally apply to older versions]
4] defective pen-drive/dvd
5] hardware fault,
5A] If old style HDD run integrity check
5B]if SATA SSD check for hidden partition at the beginning of drive [this will stop Grub from loading] and delete it before re-installing Linux
If M2.NVMe check, your system is NVMe compatible [not all older kit is]

also check your SSD is Linux compatible [not all are]

Ok, have tried it on another machine but still fails... how do I check if ssd is Linux compatible?

State make and full model number, I will check my list [buts its not complete]

There should not be such a thing. It's about the controller, not the drive. It might even be a uefi related issue.

OK so a quick check shows me it's an M2 SSD
first, it' is a Linux compatible drive [used by Lenovo ]
There are 2 different M2 slots M2B and M2M and 3 different pin configurations for SSD's M2B, M2M, and M2BM
Yours is an MB,[hybrid to fit either B or M slots] it is the slowest of the options [only PCIe2], it is easy to put this card in the wrong way around,
so check carefully.

Check to see if the system [windows or Linux] can see it listed in the drivers, if not try checking the PCIe settings in the BIOS,
if it can be see by the machine and is enabled, then my only suggestion at this stage is to wipe it completely by re-formatting to EX-Fats, to remove any hidden partitions, and try again

Last edited:
Actually when I install windows it's running very well without issues; when I connect it externally to linux it's listed and can store files in it... the problem is when I install linux, any distro upon installing it's not being found yet it was during installation....

Attachments

• IMG_20231003_093420.jpg
    IMG_20231003_093420.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 223
OK then go back to my list of common reasons and work your way down reasons 1 to 4 and check your method [use my how do i install guide]

Had a similar issue. Linux installation was completed but upon restart it shows no bootable device found. The solution that worked for me:
Open BIOS settings.
1) Change Storage configuration from RAID to AHCI.
2) Turn off Secure boot.
3) In Boot sequence/ boot priority, edit ubuntu's bootloader from shimx64.efi to grubx64.efi. If no edit option found, there must be an Add/Delete boot option.
4) Restart

Note: In case you have dual boot in your device, windows might not boot by doing step 1, as first you must install AHCI drivers and change reg keys in windows settings.

Last edited:
Note: In case you have dual boot in your device, windows might not boot by doing step 1, as first you must install AHCI drivers and change reg keys in windows settings.
It would be very unusual to have a linux kernel that didn't support AHCI by default. The module has been in the kernel since kernel 2.6.19. Easy to check the current install with:
Code:
[flip@flop ~]$ grep -i ahci /boot/config-$(uname -r)
CONFIG_SATA_AHCI=m
# CONFIG_SATA_AHCI_PLATFORM is not set
# CONFIG_AHCI_DWC is not set
CONFIG_SATA_ACARD_AHCI=m

Further confirmation with a search command such as: locate ahci.

It would be very unusual to have a linux kernel that didn't support AHCI by default.
Yes i meant windows 10/11 usually doesn't have ahci drivers installed as it has Raid set as default. Hence switching to ahci might stop windows from working. Linux on the other hand doesn't seem to work with RAID configuration.

I have three 500GB SSDs running Mint Cinnamon 21.1...with no problems at all. You install a Distro to an SSD as you would a HDD.
m1213.gif

Sounds like a cheap SSD...as they say you get what you pay for.
m1204.gif

Members online

Latest posts