[linux newbie] PC won't supply power to my USB adapter

L

liubov

I am currently using a netgear A6200

I was able to install the drivers with ndiswrapper with the help of my roommate, but there is one problem: there is a step to the driver install that sees if the adapter is plugged in, and my adapter, while plugged in to usb 3.0 or 2.0 slots, is not detected or has any LEDs on. it works when I'm running it on windows, so it can't be a problem with the adapter itself. my roommate suggested that it may be that the computer is not supplying power to the adapter, which I believe even though the USB plugged in right next to it is just fine.

what do I do? I'm running one of the later versions of elementary OS, which I take it is gnome 14.0.4 or something?

one of the freya betas I believe, I haven't updated it since the 28th/29th

it recognizes the usb drive I plug into the other 3.0 slot on the top, and all the peripherals plugged into 3.0 slots are recognized, but for some reason it is JUST my adapter which doesn't seem to get power

And have you tried your adapter elsewhere? It could be your adapter is dead.

no, it works on other usb slots and my roommate's laptop

Two only vaguely-related questions: have you check in the syslog (i.e. dmesg) to see if the kernel notices it, finds a problem, then gives up, and could there be a physical incompatibility (i.e. the power traces on the USB connectors don't connect)?

I'm not entirely sure if syslog is what I used to see if it was even detected (EDIT: I do know that I used the terminal), but I did know that it was definitely detected but just unable to be found by the driver because there isn't any power supplied to it. I doubt that there's any physical incompatibility, because it does work on other usb slots, and it does get power supplied to it on windows

Last edited:
If it's detected, then it has power. What you need to do is find out the manufacturer and product IDs. They'll be listed via lsusb, and in your dmesg output. Each driver has a list of supported products built into it, and if your device isn't in that list, the driver won't claim it. IIRC, ndiswrapper similarly uses tables to identify what to work with, and again, if your device isn't in the table, it's not going to be claimed by any driver.

but the drivers do work with it on windows, and on other computers. and a google search reveals that my exact model of adapter has been made to work on linux before

Then you haven't set ndiswrapper up correctly. The fact that it works on other systems, and that the system in question realizes that there's a device there, pretty much eliminates other possibilities.

Members online

Latest posts