Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon 64-bit 3.0.7 and dual monitors

D

David H

I would like to know if there is an app that will allow me to set different wallpaper on each of my 2 monitors.
My PC is a Dell Inspiron 660 tower
CPU is Intel Core i3-3240 @3.40Ghz
8 GB of mem
Graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS rev. 3

Offhand my guess is no. Even though you're looking at 2 monitors... aren't they the same desktop view? It's kind of like asking if you can have 2 wallpapers at the same time on a single monitor. However, many (or most) Linux distros do allow multiple workspaces, usually preconfigured for 2 or 4. Each of these is a somewhat independent desktop, and you can often find in the desktop settings that it will allow different wallpaper in each workspace. So you can click between them to use different workspaces for different purposes, and the wallpaper would be an immediate clue which workspace you're on... but I've not heard of the ability to show two workspaces simultaneously on the same monitor, or across two or more monitors.

Ah well, a little Googling says I may be wrong. That won't surprise me (or my wife)... it is easy to be unaware of things we never do! :D But a quick look says that it might be tricky to set up. I'll let you investigate further on your own. Maybe you'll find a simple way, or maybe you are willing to work out the details needed.

But another quick/easy solution that might work for you is to run a virtual machine. Your VM could have another instance of your same version of Linux, or something different, and you could open it full screen in its own workspace. That would give an appearance at least of two independent desktops, and each could indeed have its own wallpaper that way. I don't mess much with VM's either, and I can't always get them to open full screen, but some of them do. So this could be a possible solution.

Good luck!

My favourite tool for it is feh, an image viewer that also can be used to set a wallpaper. This thread might be helpful for you in this case. Or this one. This one is close to the first.

TL;DR with feh you can try two ways:
Code:
DISPLAY=:0.0 feh --bg-scale /path/to/wallpaper.png
for the first monitor

and
Code:
DISPLAY=:0.1 feh --bg-scale /path/to/wallpaper.png
for the second.

Or this:
Code:
feh --bg-scale /path/to/wallpaper1.png --bg-scale /path/to/wallpaper2.png

I use --bg-fill option most of the time though. You can consult the man page anyway.

Hope this helps.

Members online