Linux hangs immediately after login screen (fresh install)

samosa111

Reaction score
Credits
Hi there

I have an old PC which I am trying to repurpose - Asus Pundit P4-P5N9300

I've tried installing Mint (all versions) as well as Zorin. The installation is fine, but the moment I enter the username & password (at login screen), the computer boots into the desktop then freezes. The mouse pointer is responsive (moves around) but nothing is clickable and the keyboard presses are unresponsive.

I even tried installing Google Chrome Flex OS - that boots into the desktop and is responsive, but repeatedly crashes within minutes after the screen distorts.

Given the same thing happens on various versions of Mint and Zorin, I presume it is a driver issue. From the research I have done, it could possibly be the integrated graphics driver causing the issue. Does that sound right?

Can anyone help me troubleshoot. Would be great to bring this thing back to life.

Thanks in advance for your help.

P.s I am relatively new to Linux (being a Windows user) so please bear that in mind when giving instructions.

Can't find specs on the unit in question. Pentium Dual Core, Core2Duo, Celeron or what? How much RAM are you running? Et cetera. Would be helpful.

You could put Slax on a USB and boot up (hit F2 or F12 repeatedly when first starts, and enable boot from USB device) to get us the information.

Or just try antiX on that old desktop. You need something for older, resource-limited computers.

What's on your hard drive, now? Got another, clean one?

Can't find specs on the unit in question. Pentium Dual Core, Core2Duo, Celeron or what? How much RAM are you running? Et cetera. Would be helpful.

You could put Slax on a USB and boot up (hit F2 or F12 repeatedly when first starts, and enable boot from USB device) to get us the information.

Or just try antiX on that old desktop. You need something for older, resource-limited computers.

What's on your hard drive, now? Got another, clean one?

Many thanks for your swift reply.

I believe it is a Core2Duo, 4gb ram, brand new SSD. Does that help?

Hello @samosa111,
Welcome to the forum.

From what I could find on line the machine comes with a Nvidia graphics Which means you will need to do some work to get it going with linux.. For mint flavors follow the instructions found in their release notes.
Scroll down to the section on Solving freezes during the boot sequence. And follow the instructions.
Good luck.

Hello @samosa111,
Welcome to the forum.

From what I could find on line the machine comes with a Nvidia graphics Which means you will need to do some work to get it going with linux.. For mint flavors follow the instructions found in their release notes.

Scroll down to the section on Solving freezes during the boot sequence. And follow the instructions.
Good luck.
Many thanks for the guidance.

I have just tried this nomodeset with the my Zorin install. I made the nomodeset entry then continued to boot by select the Zorin generic option.

Unfortunately, it booted into desktop and then froze.

Any other suggestions?

go to the live disk and try the safe boot options see if that works.
you may have to hit the left shift key or the esc key just as the machine is starting to boot to reveal the grub menu.
If that works go to a terminal and type the command and copy and paste the results back here.
Code:
inxi -Fxxxzr

Is your BIOS set up correctly? For example, when new SSD was installed, was mode set to AHCI?

Is your BIOS set up correctly? For example, when new SSD was installed, was mode set to AHCI?
It is current set to IDE. What that cause freezing of desktop? Would I need to reformat and reinstall Linux once I have set to AHCI?

No need to reformat or reinstall

The effect will take place after a reboot

If changing the BIOS to AHCI doesn't have the desired effect, then I would be suspicious of the download /ISO burn, the Nvidia graphics may take a little work to get going properly, but it will not stop the de-fault bios screen drivers from working,
Did you check the SHA sum? to make sure there were no download errors? did Mint run well in "live" mode before you installed it?

If changing the BIOS to AHCI doesn't have the desired effect, then I would be suspicious of the download /ISO burn, the Nvidia graphics may take a little work to get going properly, but it will not stop the de-fault bios screen drivers from working,
Did you check the SHA sum? to make sure there were no download errors? did Mint run well in "live" mode before you installed it?

I am confident that it is not a corrupted Linux download as I have tried Mint, Zorin, and even Google Chrome Flex OS.

You are correct, everything appears to work perfectly all the way through from Bios, installation, boot, and up to the login screen. After entering the username and password, the moment it boots into the desktop, the PC freezes. This happens on both Mint and Zorin.

Live CD (Mint & Zorin) desktop also froze

I've spent so many hours online trying to find a solution. I am beginning to loose the will to live!

Similar problems occasionally occur this is for Ubuntu based distributions [Ubuntu,Mint, etc], Not for the total novice, but this may be the problem

Have you actually changed the bios to ahci ?.....

This problem is crashing after the password is entered. ...So therefore the OS is installed.

What happens when you only boot to the usb stick.....(without installing)...??

I would try a couple of non- Ubuntu Distros. Give PCLinuxOS and Maybe MX xfce a try. Though I still believe that the culprit is the Nvidia graphics. That graphics chip set may be just too old for a Modern Linux distro. It's not linux's fault per sae as Nvidia stop update many of it's drivers for it's older line of cards in Linux. But give some other distros a try. If and when you get into a live desktop that works please give us the readout of
Code:
inxi -Fxxxzr

ADDENDUM
[this is a 32 bit graphic card]
My apologies it is not a 32 bit card but a 64 bit version [took some finding], the normal Linux drivers should be OK with it, I would still try the 32 bit distributions as the basic spec of the box is on the low side

Refer to post #2 and post #13 before giving up.
Also, it looks like a 'buntu issue. Try something NOT in the ubuntu family, as others have suggested.
I second @kc1di -- try a lightweight PCLOS (NOT bigdaddy) as 64bit and antiX-21_386-base.iso as 32bit on a USB stick and see if either or both boot up.
If PCLOS works, it will find your nVidia driver if you tell it to do so on install.

It may also install the wrong one if let go unattended. But at least it will find it.

Ultimately, it is up to the user to install the correct driver, as always.

Members online

Latest posts