Linux for old desktop

B

bzand

I have a dell xps d333 with a pentium 3 333mhz, 96mb ram and 8gb harddisk. It currently has windows 98 installed. Is there a lightweight linux that would work on it? Gui no terminal. It woukd be for web browsing and word processing with support for usb and preferably printing either by usb or network(would rather network). I am looking into getting a second hardrive if that helps but it probaly wont hold much more than 8gb.​

With only 96Mb of RAM you won't be able to do much. Increase the amount of RAM if you can, if it is economically sensible.

Yes to run the above that I mentioned you will need to increase it.

Having minimal RAM is indeed a challenge with all the things you expect from it. One way will be to seek out older Linux versions that also came from that time frame. You should be able to find something to work, but it will be sorely out of date for security issues and somewhat risky to use online... but probably no more risky than Win 98!

I think I would try Tiny Core Linux to see if it will run. I've never used it before, but it looks like it might have a chance in your case. The "Core" only is command line, which you've said you don't want. But the next step up to "TinyCore" gives a graphical environment. If you can run "CorePlus" that would be even better for you. http://tinycorelinux.net/

Good luck!

With only 96Mb of RAM you won't be able to do much. Increase the amount of RAM if you can, if it is economically sensible.
Yes increasing would be helpful the pc has a 384mb limit I belive 128mb x 3 slots. It has 2 43mb sticks currently. I was thinking buying at least one 128 stick to have 224mb.(if it lets me use diffrence sizes) or 2 128mb and one of the 43 for 299mb. 3 128mb aticks is way to expensive. Each being about $24 from what I see.Even one is too much money for this pc.

When you talk of spending money, you change the whole scope of your orignal post. I would not spend $50 to upgrade your old system to only 256 MB. You'd be better off to shop around for a used or refurbished system, IMO. You might discover you have friends (or local computer dealers) who would possibly GIVE you a system better than what you have. Or maybe someone would give you the RAM rather than buying it.

As a real quick example, below are a couple of systems online at Best Buy today (with free shipping). Both have 4 GB of RAM, the 1st one is $100, and the 2nd one is $139 with a 1 TB hard drive.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-busi...1308857419.p?id=mp1308857419&skuId=1308857419

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-refu...1307217795.p?id=mp1307217795&skuId=1307217795

A warning about upgrading, if you choose to buy RAM: Back in the old days there were many considerations concerning RAM. Whether SIMM, DIMM, parity, non-parity, ECC, etc. Sometimes you had to have matching pairs, but since you have 3 slots I guess that does not apply to you. But if you mixed RAM, sometimes it mattered about whether the slower or the faster RAM (measured in nanoseconds) was inserted into Slot 0... and honestly I've forgot now which way was preferred. If you choose to buy RAM, I would recommend getting a pair, and not mixing them with your old chips. But I really would not spend money on the system that you have.

Good luck!

I think I would try Tiny Core Linux to see if it will run. I've never used it before, but it looks like it might have a chance in your case.
As a followup to this, I did download both TinyCore and CorePlus and try them out. They may run on your computer, but they are probably not going to be acceptable. They are extremely barebones, and you would probably have too much trouble getting them to do what you want.

Cheers!

When you talk of spending money, you change the whole scope of your orignal post. I would not spend $50 to upgrade your old system to only 256 MB. You'd be better off to shop around for a used or refurbished system,
But I really would not spend money on the system that you have.

Good luck!
I should have mentioned that I didn't want to spend money on it. I feel the same way about why spend money when you can get a new system. I though maybe I could put life back into this pc because I have it and why not. I see it as a sin to throw out a pc even this old and non powerful. But thanks though!

Puppy Linux 3.01 may run on this

One of the better versions of Puppy.

I really like puppy linux with the expierences iv had with it. Great os to carry around on a usb. Ill look into 3.0.1 but unfortunatly probaly wont work

Members online