Linux-distro for gaming and multimedia work?

manutd

Reaction score
Credits
First of all hi! Great to be here :)

So, itś been a long time ago since I was in the world of linux.
Last time I used linux I was running Ubuntu...mabe 10 years ago.

Now im tempted to give linux a try again on my laptop.

Ive been reading a bit about different distros and protocols and what to use. But im still a bit confused.

The thing is...I want to try to use linux as a daily driver on my laptop. That includes some gaming and photo/video-editing.
My laptop is a lenovo legion with a amd cpu and a nvidia gpu. From my understanding nvidia is the way to go with linux.

So...regarding gaming I want to be able to run steam (which is working just fine) and then use protondb/lutris to play games on other gaming platforms.

But I have one issue...due to photo&videoediting I want to be able to use my colorimeter (spyderx) to be able to calibrate/profiling my monitor.
So...correct me if im wrong...from my understanding...I have to run a X11-distro in order to calibrate my display due to the lack of colormanagement in wayland. Or am I completely wrong about that?

So my question is...is there a distro that is:
1. Easy to use as a beginner when it comes to installation (no fiddling with terminal to install)
2. Support for gaming on steam, ea etc
3. Be able to hardware calibrate/colormanage my display
4. Good support for drivers (nvidia)

I know that steam usually work native on linux, but how about EA-app, battle.net and so on ?

All help and info would be much appreciated!

Best regards! :)

Last edited:

Welcome to the forums
1] Debian stable [with driver pack] Mint LMDE5,Mint 21,Ubuntu, Parrot home edition, MX-linux, Pop [caveat, pop can be a pig to install on non system 76 equipment, MX is more aligned to business use but the AHS version is probably the best if the laptop is under 2 years old] plus any other you can think of
2] Any 64 bit Linux can be used for gaming,
3] ? Sorry can't help
4] All distributions have the same kernel drivers and can install [sorry from terminal] any non-free [propriotry ]Linux drivers available

Welcome to the forums
1] Debian stable [with driver pack] Mint LMDE5,Mint 21,Ubuntu, Parrot home edition, MX-linux, Pop [caveat, pop can be a pig to install on non system 76 equipment, MX is more aligned to business use but the AHS version is probably the best if the laptop is under 2 years old] plus any other you can think of
2] Any 64 bit Linux can be used for gaming,
3] ? Sorry can't help
4] All distributions have the same kernel drivers and can install [sorry from terminal] any non-free [propriotry ]Linux drivers available

Thanks for quick reply! Really appreciate it!

Let´s say X11 is a must because of the colormanagement thing...are there any good distro-alternatives that runs that?

X11 is available in most distribution repositories

to the best of my knowledge, there is NOT a Linux version of this program, there is however the following, have a good read and see what you think.
Ok so I installed linux mint since it looked most familiar to windows by the looks and tried the software and it worked like a charm!

Thanks for your help with this! Really appreciate it!

Best regards :)

Ok so I installed linux mint
Don't forget to go into "Driver Manager" and get your NVidia drivers.
Mint IMHO is the easiest to setup hybrid graphics ;)

Don't forget to go into "Driver Manager" and get your NVidia drivers.
Mint IMHO is the easiest to setup hybrid graphics ;)
Yes Ive done that, but thanks for the heads up! :)

First of all hi! Great to be here :)

So, itś been a long time ago since I was in the world of linux.
Last time I used linux I was running Ubuntu...mabe 10 years ago.

Now im tempted to give linux a try again on my laptop.

Ive been reading a bit about different distros and protocols and what to use. But im still a bit confused.

The thing is...I want to try to use linux as a daily driver on my laptop. That includes some gaming and photo/video-editing.
My laptop is a lenovo legion with a amd cpu and a nvidia gpu. From my understanding nvidia is the way to go with linux.

So...regarding gaming I want to be able to run steam (which is working just fine) and then use protondb/lutris to play games on other gaming platforms.

But I have one issue...due to photo&videoediting I want to be able to use my colorimeter (spyderx) to be able to calibrate/profiling my monitor.
So...correct me if im wrong...from my understanding...I have to run a X11-distro in order to calibrate my display due to the lack of colormanagement in wayland. Or am I completely wrong about that?

So my question is...is there a distro that is:
1. Easy to use as a beginner when it comes to installation (no fiddling with terminal to install)
2. Support for gaming on steam, ea etc
3. Be able to hardware calibrate/colormanage my display
4. Good support for drivers (nvidia)

I know that steam usually work native on linux, but how about EA-app, battle.net and so on ?

All help and info would be much appreciated!

Best regards! :)
My very first choice for gaming would be getting a computer built by system 76 which comes installed with their distro pop OS. They specialize in integrating all you hardware to work flawlessly. If you haven't checked out their site it's worth taking a look at. They have an option for a $13,000 nvidia gpu.

Next I would probably go with Ubuntu just because they always seem to be one of the distro's' chosen as one the official supported linux distro's by hardware manf. such as AMD.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts