Linux Decision

C

CityGirlLuv

I'm use to Windows; however, I want to use Linux so badly! It seems fun to work with and the designs I've seen people create on it are pretty neat. My question is this: I'm a TOTAL beginner when it comes to Linux...if you had the option, would you dual boot Windows and Linux or just get rid of Windows and install Linux?

Linux is a great OS but takes a bit to get used to. Linux also lacks many of the programs available on windows (although there are great replacements), so if you rely heavily on your PC or any particular program and/or you are completely new to Linux I would recommend Dual-booting for now.

Dual-booting allows you to retain usability of your computer while gives you a chance to become acquainted with Linux, It also gives you a chance to copy any files you might want. When you feel confident enough you could always just delete the windows partition and continue with Linux.

Awesome. I think dual booting is more likely going to be my best bet since as I stated before, I am a total noob when it comes to using Linux. I think I would even stay on keeping it as a dual boot due to the fact that among my research, some of the Window programs that I use don't have a Linux alternative to them.

Yes. Dual boot its the smarter choice. Yo can begin with a simple exercise, try to see your windows files on linux. It is a good start to begin understand the OS. Hope helps.

Yes. Dual boot its the smarter choice. Yo can begin with a simple exercise, try to see your windows files on linux. It is a good start to begin understand the OS. Hope helps.

It really helped a lot and I'll keep this in mind as the first thing to do when I get it all setup.

When it's the first time that you use Linux, always keep your options open with dual boot.

If you feel uncomfortable about putting Linux on the hard drive, you can run it from the pendrive. To run Linux from the pendrive, I suggest using Puppy Linux. It's small, just a bit less than 130 Mb and it can load itself totally into ram so even when you start Puppy Linux from a pendrive, the performance is the same as booting it from the hard drive.

Once you are sure of Linux, install it to dual boot with Windows. Windows must be installed first, then Linux. At this point you may change to Ubuntu. I would suggest using Lubuntu, a version of Ubuntu, because it's light, thus making it fast, yet has got more features than Puppy Linux.

Don't give up Windows unless you have given up playing games. You need Windows for the games.

Most Linux distributions, especially Ubuntu. Mint, Debian, Slax, etc, when installing, will automatically recognise that you already have Windows on your PC, so they will create a separate 'partition' on yur hard disk for Linux, and then create a Boot Menu for you.This will give you a choice, at start-up, of whether to load Windows or Linux.

Been using Linux for almost 4 years now, I think i'm definitely not new to this, I have created bash scripts myself and install LAMP on my own and design my sites here. But I still return to windows especially when I try to use software that don't somehow work on linux.

Dual boot is a greatest you can do so you could return back whenever you like.

Every response so far has been right on! I am a huge Linux fan and made the decision to make one of my computers Linux only. However, I would not recommend making that commitment just yet. Linux can take a lot of time to get used to as things are quite different if you compare it to Windows, especially the newest releases. I have been using Linux for quite some time and I find myself learning something new quite often.

Duel booting will allow you some breathing room as you begin to make adjustments towards Linux. Plus, if you realize that Linux is not for you, you did not waste time getting rid of your entire Windows partition for "nothing" so to speak. It is my honest opinion that you will enjoy Linux. There are so many resources available to you as you learn, such as this forum, and help is never out of reach! Good luck :D

I'm use to Windows; however, I want to use Linux so badly! It seems fun to work with and the designs I've seen people create on it are pretty neat. My question is this: I'm a TOTAL beginner when it comes to Linux...if you had the option, would you dual boot Windows and Linux or just get rid of Windows and install Linux?

I would definitely recommend you to use Linux OS. I have been using it for a few years now ( I don't remember how much exactly ). But yeah, the point is, Linux OS is the best free OS you can ever get.In my opinion its much better than Windows OS !

I actually never dual booted.

It wouldn't be fair for me to recommend wiping out the Windows machine.

If you have a desktop and a laptop, then I would recommend that you choose and wipe out one of the computers for a dedicated Linux OS.

I personally felt that it was faster to learn because I didn't have to worry about partitioning.

You can learn about partitioning by dual booting so I suggest you try, but if anything goes wrong, don't be afraid to go for all Linux.

Either way it will be a fun hobby and activity if you are the type of person who likes hobbies and activities.

I don't know to be honest.
I am interested in finding out which Linux OS I should use on my new Gateway though.

I don't know to be honest.
I am interested in finding out which Linux OS I should use on my new Gateway though.

Try out several of them before you decide which is best for you and your machine. Most of the major distros become a Live Disk when burnt. You can boot your computer off the disk to see if you like it. If not, shutdown the computer and download/burn a different one.

Why dualboot when you can vmware or virtualbox...
I have 4 computers running both Windows and linux pure install.

Why use virtual machines, well you can try Linux distros without harming your machine

Why dualboot when you can vmware or virtualbox...
I have 4 computers running both Windows and linux pure install.

Why use virtual machines, well you can try Linux distros without harming your machine

One main reason why I don't use virtual box is that it cannot run as fast as running Windows directly. That's why I dual boot.

And there's no need to use virtual machines to try Linux distros because most distros can be run from a pendrive without doing anything at all to whatever is on the hard drive. There is absolutely no danger of harming your computer when you run a Linux distro from a pendrive. Unless you do it intentionally.

Virtual machines have their place. Personally, I multiboot Windows and two different Linuxs on my main computer. If I want to watch Netflix while I'm on Linux, I can fire up a virtual Windows and either switch between Windows and Linux or make Widows a small box in the corner.

Having two OSs running at the same time does eat up resources very quick. If you have a decent processor and a decent amount of RAM, it is not too bad, though.

And, it does make it quick and easy to try out a new OS. You do not need to shutdown your current OS to try out a new one. And, you can easily swap back and forth.

Virtual machines have their place. Personally, I multiboot Windows and two different Linuxs on my main computer. If I want to watch Netflix while I'm on Linux, I can fire up a virtual Windows and either switch between Windows and Linux or make Widows a small box in the corner.

Having two OSs running at the same time does eat up resources very quick. If you have a decent processor and a decent amount of RAM, it is not too bad, though.

And, it does make it quick and easy to try out a new OS. You do not need to shutdown your current OS to try out a new one. And, you can easily swap back and forth.

Yes, I am sure that's an interesting way of doing it. When you have enough resources. So I, being strapped with limited resources, will just have to do it the hard way. Booting from pendrive for testing. Dual booting for games.

My feeling was if I used dual boot, I would end up ignoring Linux too much. So I dug out an old computer and put Linux on it so I could have both OS running at the same time. Now I run Linux until I am FORCED to turn to the Windows machine for something, then I am back. After a few months, I bought a cheap dual core computer just for my Linux and it runs faster than my Windows on a higher powered machine. I am also getting used to free programs that are replacing the constant upgrades I used to pay for Windows upgrades.

My feeling was if I used dual boot, I would end up ignoring Linux too much. So I dug out an old computer and put Linux on it so I could have both OS running at the same time. Now I run Linux until I am FORCED to turn to the Windows machine for something, then I am back. After a few months, I bought a cheap dual core computer just for my Linux and it runs faster than my Windows on a higher powered machine. I am also getting used to free programs that are replacing the constant upgrades I used to pay for Windows upgrades.

It doesn't always have to happen that way. I dual boot but I do all my work in Linux which is just about everything. The only time I need to fire up Windows is when I want to play World of Warcraft. Are you still using any programs which only run in Windows?

Actually quite a few. I use the Internet to supply the extra money I need to thoroughly enjoy my retirement, so I need Camtasia for making videos and I use Photoshop (no Gimp won't replace it). I also do screen sharing with Join.Me and Skype that don't share my screen under Linux, I can only watch someone else's screen. That keeps me in Windows.

Members online