Linux Applications

@Emanate Presence

Both Simple Screen Recorder and OBS are in Linux Mints' repository.
Being in their repository means that they have been tested and found to be safe to use.

Old Geezer
Tango Charlie

@Emanate Presence

Both Simple Screen Recorder and OBS are in Linux Mints' repository.
Being in their repository means that they have been tested and found to be safe to use.

Old Geezer
Tango Charlie
As an about to be Kubuntu user, how would I install an app from another distro repository?

"Both Simple Screen Recorder and OBS are in Linux Mints' repository.
Being in their repository means that they have been tested and found to be safe to use."

How does one on Kubuntu access Linux Mints' repository?
Slow Down, the chances are both apps will be in the Ubuntu repository [but you won't be able to check until you have installed your distribution]
when you have installed your distribution, click on the menu icon,
now look for the software manager, click and open
it will have a serch box, type the name of the app and a list will appear of anything associated with your search, select the app and click on install

UPDATE: Found OBS website and it looks GREAT! Thank you. Even has a LINUX download choice so no further tips needed at this time. I added to the list!
OBS-Studio is in the Debian Repositories (and should be in Kubuntu's as well.) It is the best practice to use the one found in the Distros repositories in stead of trying to install it from a web page. Though in some cases you will have no other choice.
In some cases if you want a new program than is offered Ubuntu and Kubuntu also have PPA's from which you can install a newer version of the program. PPA stands for Personal Package Archive. In this case there is one for OBS studio.
Here's a page that tells how to install it via PPA.
Also there is a Flatpack version (Flatpacks do not require installation as such and come with all needed software to run the app in a self contained file. Down side of that is usually the file is very large. But in Linux there are many choices.

Slow Down, the chances are both apps will be in the Ubuntu repository [but you won't be able to check until you have installed your distribution]
when you have installed your distribution, click on the menu icon,
now look for the software manager, click and open
it will have a serch box, type the name of the app and a list will appear of anything associated with your search, select the app and click on install
Thank you!

Do you consider the security issues on Kubuntu a reason to choose another distro?

Do you know of any Kubuntu cons?

Do you consider Kubuntu to be stable?

Thank you!

Do you consider the security issues on Kubuntu a reason to choose another distro?

Do you know of any Kubuntu cons?

Do you consider Kubuntu to be stable?
There are no more Security issues on Kubuntu than other Distro. Its fairly secure. 90% of security issues are the fault of the operator :(
I Don't know of any real cons on the LTS version. The in between releases designated by 24.10 are not as stable and my be a bit more buggy and have a short life span. If you want stabliity stick with the LTS version a new one will be coming out next month. and will be designated 24.04. Current LTS version is 22.04 LTS versions are only released every 2 years.
You may want to also take a look at the kubuntu forums it can give an Idea of what others are saying and dealing with.

I do not consider most distributions as any better or worse than any other. There are a couple of exceptions, Mx is considered more secure for business use, parrot home is considered a little safer for general use and pure OS put itself out as the most secure, BUT [and here comes the biggie], in each case this applies to the standard set up, once you start modifying it. they are no better than say Mint LMDE/ubuntu/Slax or even RHEL

I do not consider most distributions as any better or worse than any other. There are a couple of exceptions, Mx is considered more secure for business use, parrot home is considered a little safer for general use and pure OS put itself out as the most secure, BUT [and here comes the biggie], in each case this applies to the standard set up, once you start modifying it. they are no better than say Mint LMDE/ubuntu/Slax or even RHEL
Notification came that the ThinkPad is scheduled for delivery this week.

I am convinced to do a full install of LMDE Cinnamon but see there are also variations of this like Faye, Virginia, and others.

My use is not business or gaming. Primarily at first it's to be able to participate more fully with the Cardano blockchain ecosystem and community, and to do some light creative work like A.I. art, text to voice recording, maybe expanding into light video making.

ZDNET ARTICLE:
"The Linux Mint community has once again released a top-tier Linux desktop: Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia. I've used more Linux distributions than most people, and Mint is my favorite desktop distro."

Can you point me to a most suitable version of LMDE Cinnamon and instructions for doing a full install on a Windows system?

Can you point me again to where I saw LMDE with included applications?

I'm certain I don't want to use Windows and it seems there are security concerns with dual boot, also that just doesn't feel well to me. I'm certain I don't want to experiment with USB versions. My research has been extensive enough to satisfy me, and you all have been very helpful.

Looking forward to having no virtual keyboard that hangs up more than pops up. Looking forward to exploring and learning Mint Cinnamon.

are also variations of this like Faye, Virginia, and others.
NO.. Virginia is not LMDE its Ubuntu mint 21.3, there is only one Mint LMDE5 and thats the link in my recent post

There are no more Security issues on Kubuntu than other Distro. Its fairly secure. 90% of security issues are the fault of the operator :(
I Don't know of any real cons on the LTS version. The in between releases designated by 24.10 are not as stable and my be a bit more buggy and have a short life span. If you want stabliity stick with the LTS version a new one will be coming out next month. and will be designated 24.04. Current LTS version is 22.04 LTS versions are only released every 2 years.
You may want to also take a look at the kubuntu forums it can give an Idea of what others are saying and dealing with.
Oi. Starting to get the picture. You run Linux Mint 21.3 -Cinnamon and Brickwizard runs Mint LMDE6. First is Ubuntu based, second is Debian based. Only disadvantage to Ubuntu may be past issues with privacy security. Debian may be more stable. But you have run LM Ubuntu with no issues. Do I have that right?

Forgive my repetitions. Can you give me a link where I can see the whole picture of Linux Mint 21.3 -Cinnamon?

LM 21.3 based on ubuntu and LMDE6 is based on Debian. Both work fine and they try to make them as identical as possible.
But I also like and use Kubuntu and Other KDE distros which I also like But Mint has been a solid performer. When you get set up them live see which one fits you best :)

LM 21.3 based on ubuntu and LMDE6 is based on Debian. Both work fine and they try to make them as identical as possible.
But I also like and use Kubuntu and Other KDE distros which I also like But Mint has been a solid performer. When you get set up them live see which one fits you best :)
I remember seeing the applications which come with Linux Mint not sure now which one, and I'd like to revisit but haven't found it. It listed applications like Dolphin, Dragon, and Telepathy. Do you know that website?

UPDATE: Found my answer.

Also maybe I should consider testing one live.

Which linux distro comes with dolphin, dragon, and telepathy apps?
https://fedoraproject.org/spins/kde/ (IBM)

YOUTUBE

LINUX FOR SENIORS
https://youtube.com/@linuxforseniors?si=vQHXEogTOHSRDSRb

Well, 21.3 seems my distro. Wish it had a site like the Fedora to give more look and feel.

Can someone tell me how to do a full install of 21.3 to the ThinkPad?

How do I test it live?

Steps 1,2,3 would be very helpful.

Last edited:
@Emanate Presence
This is what I would do. {I have LM 21.3 installed on this computer}

1. Download Linux Mint 21.3 CINNAMON.
2. Use Balena Etcher to 'burn' LM to a flash disk.
3. When that is finished, shut down computer; leave flash disk attached to computer.
4. Start computer and enter the BIOS section. {While booting up tap F-2 key several times}
Make sure Fast Boot and Secure Boot are disabled.
5. Choose the flash disk to start from when the computer starts up.
6. Re-start computer.

If the computer starts with LM, you can use it as if it were installed. {It will not affect the Windows OS at this juncture.} You can test every part of your computer to make sure it works on Linux Mint 21.3.
Consider this your education period in the world of Linux.
Play with it, do stuff with it, learn how Linux works by doing stuff.
Open one of the apps and see if it works OK.
Open several apps.
Believe me, you will learn a lot about Linux when using it this way.

If you are happy with how it works on your machine, go ahead and install it.

Old Geezer
Tango Charlie

@Emanate Presence
This is what I would do. {I have LM 21.3 installed on this computer}

1. Download Linux Mint 21.3 CINNAMON.
2. Use Balena Etcher to 'burn' LM to a flash disk.
3. When that is finished, shut down computer; leave flash disk attached to computer.
4. Start computer and enter the BIOS section. {While booting up tap F-2 key several times}
Make sure Fast Boot and Secure Boot are disabled.
5. Choose the flash disk to start from when the computer starts up.
6. Re-start computer.

If the computer starts with LM, you can use it as if it were installed. {It will not affect the Windows OS at this juncture.} You can test every part of your computer to make sure it works on Linux Mint 21.3.
Consider this your education period in the world of Linux.
Play with it, do stuff with it, learn how Linux works by doing stuff.
Open one of the apps and see if it works OK.
Open several apps.
Believe me, you will learn a lot about Linux when using it this way.

If you are happy with how it works on your machine, go ahead and install it.

Old Geezer
Tango Charlie

That is incredibly helpful!

I found online resources that give tips installing last night, but honestly this is so much more useful for me.

It will go into the Linux Links and be printed for my following.

Just got an update, ThinkPad scheduled for delivery on 14th. In our remote location on the Azores, actual delivery is usually a few days after notification date. But it's on its way!

Many thanks, Old Geezer.

Last edited:
Been trying to research applications available on Linux but my iPad isn't scrolling well online.

Browsed the first of this article,

100 Best Applications for Ubuntu 2023,​

just got two screens then the ipad hangs up.

Can someone please tell me if there are Linux apps which work on Kubuntu for:

Text to voice
Screen recording to video

Thank you.
I can attest for text to speech,
you have 2 choices that I use,
1... espeak which is fast and responsive but sounds like Stephen Hawking.
2... Festival which is a little slower, I note a 1 or 2 second delay but the voice is very human.

I can attest for text to speech,
you have 2 choices that I use,
1... espeak which is fast and responsive but sounds like Stephen Hawking.
2... Festival which is a little slower, I note a 1 or 2 second delay but the voice is very human.
I will look into Festival. Thank you. I have been using Voice Dream Reader on my iPad and love it. Not available for desktop....

Festival looks great at first glance!

I will add to my links.

Their website for any interested:

The Festival Speech Synthesis System​

Members online