Linux AI

APTI

Reaction score
Credits
I was using https://forrestcli.com/ai/ask as it was great for quickly finding CLI commands. However it is broken. almost every query I give it says error. Even simple ones. Anybody else using this and know what is wrong?

Yes, it's broken here as well. It responds to queries with:
Ooops, something went wrong. Unable to query AI server.

Gemini and ChatGPT are working.

I want something I do not have to sign up for and create yet another account for. chatgpt requires sign in etc. don't know about the gemini, if you can provide a link?

I want something I do not have to sign up for and create yet another account for. chatgpt requires sign in etc. don't know about the gemini, if you can provide a link?
Gemini is google's AI and also requires a login at gemini.google.com.

This runs on your local workstation and works with CPU only as well if you dont have a funky GPU (its slow using CPU only but usable)

Code:
curl -fsSL https://ollama.com/install.sh | sh
ollama run dolphin-mixtral

Last edited:
I only asked it one question and the reply was... you have reached your limit for today, log in to continue
Thanks for that info. Good to know. However, I haven't had any trouble asking multiple questions (4 today) so I don't know why there's a difference in your case. The only request from copilot was to click on a box to agree with their "terms and conditions". I have no other connections or logins to MS. I do have a login to google, but I haven't been asked by copilot to login via google. Perhaps still a conundrum.

Thanks @osprey for the copilot link. It seems to let me ask multiple questions at the moment too. (It allowed 5 questions then needed to log in.) It did give me a chuckle already....

Linux has had over 100 developers contribute to it... wow! ;)o_O
Does it mean from over 100 countries, maybe? This 2020 article says the Linux kernel maintainers file had 1,501 people. The Linux kernel source tree on Github shows over 5,000 contributors today. Granted, these lists are not the same, but it hints at the AI error. So far I like AI, but it's not trustworthy and careless sometimes (like me). :p
copilot.png

To be fair, if "countries" is the correct word above... that's the kind of mistake that I can make myself too. And many more! :oops:

Last edited:
I was in too much of a hurry. The copilot footnote for "100 developers" shows that is actually a true number.... in 1993. ;)

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Linux

Chronology​

See also: Linux adoption

• 1991: The Linux kernel is publicly announced on 25 August by the 21-year-old Finnish student Linus Benedict Torvalds.[17] Version 0.01 is released publicly on 17 September.[66]
  • 1992: The Linux kernel is relicensed under the GNU GPL. The first Linux distributions are created.
  • 1993: Over 100 developers work on the Linux kernel. With their assistance the kernel is adapted to the GNU environment, which creates a large spectrum of application types for Linux. The oldest currently existing Linux distribution, Slackware, is released for the first time. Later in the same year, the Debian project is established. Today it is the largest community distribution.

I was using https://forrestcli.com/ai/ask as it was great for quickly finding CLI commands. However it is broken. almost every query I give it says error. Even simple ones. Anybody else using this and know what is wrong?
IDK, but in the meantime, just ask your CLI questions here.
You might not get instant answers, but at least you won’t get error messages!

i love how you guys are just casually ignoring my post, even though it is a open source LLM that runs on your workstation and is trained for coding.
Its literally what I'm using every day.

Here is an example (this output is from a LLM (duh)) ;)

Code:
user@host:~$ ollama run dolphin-mixtral
>>> whats a cli command to make my terminal look like the matrix from the movie?
>>> whats a linux cli command to make my terminal look like the matrix from the movie?
To create a Matrix-style terminal in Linux, you can use the "cmatrix" package. Here's how you can install and use it:

1. Install cmatrix: Open your terminal and type the following command to add the necessary repository:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8

2. Update your package list by running the following command:

sudo apt-get update

3. Install cmatrix using the command below:

sudo apt-get install cmatrix

4. Run cmatrix by typing the command `cmatrix` in your terminal. Your terminal should now resemble the Matrix code from the movie.

To stop the Matrix effect, press Ctrl+C or close the terminal window.

>>> Send a message (/? for help)

PS: cmatrix is in the default repos of ubuntu and debian.

@blunix wrote:
i love how you guys are just casually ignoring my post, even though it is a open source LLM that runs on your workstation and is trained for coding.
Its literally what I'm using every day.

I can't speak for others of course, but there's no ignoring here despite often not responding. In my case I tend to reply if I think I have something useful to say, though others may disagree.

In relation to having the artificial intelligence installed on one's computer, there's clearly a convenience and time-saving factor involved. Personally I've taken the other route of using the AI online. I often find myself using more than one of the websites at a time. Usually I'm asking about some small coding issue and I've found that the variations in answers can be revealing and useful. It's been necessary at times to visit a few different sites because some have provided answers that are mistaken, unworkable or off the point.

The AI sites I visit are: ChatGPT, gemini, copilot, perplexity and you.com.

Last edited:
yeah all good was just joking ;) no offense taken of course.

I was just confused why you kept talking about (payed) services, where (imho) there is really no need for that (provided your CPU / GPU computer is fast enough).
There are a lot of models too: https://ollama.com/library

Personally I've taken the other route of using the AI online.
For me also. I have no reason to give up drive space and cpu cycles on my system when I can use theirs. I'm retired, and I'm okay with any delays retrieving results from the online systems. And I don't really spend much time questioning AI in the first place, though I'm pretty sure it will soon become a standard tool for all of us... in addition to improving tools for detecting AI produced text, audio, video, images, code, and whatever else.

AI detection software might be the preferred app to install, for me, but not yet... for the same reasons. I'd rather have an online tool to provide that service.

Just checked again this morning and still broken. I'm actually having trouble just getting the page to load, though my internet seems to be working okay otherwise.

This runs on your local workstation and works with CPU only as well if you dont have a funky GPU (its slow using CPU only but usable)

Code:
curl -fsSL https://ollama.com/install.sh | sh
ollama run dolphin-mixtral
Thanks for the link to this section of the forum! I have the ChatGPT App on my iPad, works great.

Just checked again this morning and still broken. I'm actually having trouble just getting the page to load, though my internet seems to be working okay otherwise.
There may be an internet server issue worldwide, as webpages don't load well here on the Azores either, and it was mentioned as a global issue on X.

Also, if you believe in such things, higher radiations from the sun in these times definitely affect humans and electronics.

Members online

Latest posts