Linux 3rd World and Education

captain-sensible

Reaction score
Credits
Well nobody else started it so...

I am going to put my pennies in from my experience in Ghana ; what I will state will be an Objective view based on "empirical observation" . So if anybody is offended, thats a Cognitive distortion problem you have. Nothing will be directly rude, or offensive. I will include anecdotes and Metaphors

Preamble -set out known issues:

The overriding mentality of those in Ghana is that value is placed on self-preservation and those of immediate family first ; everything else last. For that reason, there is little evidence of what we call "patriotism".

Things are done there that you would not dream of done in Western Society. Basically, there is no law in Ghana .

1) Shipping Computers to Ghana that have Linux installed on them:

A couple of things are likely to happen; towers will be stripped and parts sold; or Linux will be wiped , Cloned Windows installed and then the computers sold. Receivers of Towers may state they recently were bestowed Saint Hood by the Pope ; do not believe a word of it. The only thing to think about is a foolproof model . The big issue developed a foolproof model for the homeless. What they do is "sell" the Big issue magazine to vendors; the vendors buy more magazines if they want sustainability . The selling price enables them to make a small profit and still have enough money to buy more magazines. Nobody loses. To start , they are awarded a "float" .

2) Choosing a Linux OS:

If you walk about the main markets were Computer Towers are sold you will see that , monitors are predominately VGA. The pretty much rules out the raspberry PI, which I found out to my cost it only had HDMI .

We share Linux knowledge on here but its sparse in Ghana what you really need is a threshold of people all using the same Linux OS. Somebody using a "one lap top per child" unit can not directly help someone using another OS.

The OS must need minimal downloads , due to expensive and flaky Internet; that rules out OS like Arch.

The OS should have a track record of being established with a reasonable chance of Sustainability. I would rule out emmabuntus

I've looked at the One Lap Top per child and concluded for average kids they have no problem navigating an average Linux menu system. The icons i believe were arrived at due to the child of one of the developers having problems navigating a normal menu.
My thinking is Slackware 15 might be a candidate if learning of Linux is a priority, otherwise Mint

3) Linux without support in Ghana won't go anywhere. I've spoken to Bible bashers who were proud to tell me that they have been on an official Course , where I found out that they were also taught how to steal Microsoft Windows. The bible basher in question argued that downloading a copy of Windows ,that they did not pay for and that Microsoft did not issue free, was " not stealing". The general comment made to me was "why should I bother with complicated Linux, when I can get Windows for free" .As I said there is no law in Ghana; if you just give away computers , they will wipe them and install the only OS they know and install Windows. So that means to have an effective campaign you need to get someone out to Ghana , teach about Linux and offer some support locally, until it catches on. If a so called NGO is involved ; then you need some sort of accountability. Do you know that for instance in Ga South ( equivalent of local council - i have a contact there) they have cottoned on to that fact that NGO's are set up as a front for thievery .

4) Some leverage might be affected if you can work with Microsoft to reduce cloning ; but corruption is endemic so don't expect appointed managers to not take bribes. In Indonesia, someone took the decision to clamp down on Cloned Windows and there was a campaign of shutting down internet cafes that were using cloned Windows. At the time there was a direct uptake of Linux particularly "Zen cafe" that was based on Zenwalk; that was and is based on slackware.

be back later

Last edited:

raspberry pi can use VGA with an adapter.

I would rule out emmabuntus
Why, it is an established distribution [11 years old this may] and you don't need internet connections to install it, everything is on the massive ISO for almost everything made since the Pentium 1 [it can run on some latter 486's as well] so It makes the distribution excellent for places with little or no connection to the outside world

Why, it is an established distribution [11 years old this may] and you don't need internet connections to install it, everything is on the massive ISO for almost everything made since the Pentium 1 [it can run on some latter 486's as well] so It makes the distribution excellent for places with little or no connection to the outside world
well the same could be said of many Linux distros; in fact that is going to be the problem; to have some sort of hub Accra based where somebody who has got the iso on a usb will install without internet

tell me somebody using it in Ghana

who has got the iso on a usb will install without internet
The age of machines likely to be donated will most probably have optical drives and not be usb bootable,

tell me somebody using it in Ghana
That I can't, but you give me a plausible reason why they should not use it, The neighbouring country [Togo] uses it extensively it has been well received in other countries, and purposely designed for the job,

ok maybe i should have another look; but when you say made for it ;actually in my opinion all thats needed are core programs like a web browser , libreoffice no add ons in particular. I will Google use in Togo but my guess why its popular there is that they speak French and the OS seems to haver a leaning to French ?

If it were me I would go with Debian. XFCE for a machine in a country like Ghana. Reason you can download the whole thing large .iso and burn it to USB or DVD's and you have all you will need. No need to upgrade everything and Debian is very stable
You can also do the same with OpenSuse but it's a little more dependent on Internet. Debain works on a very large architecture base also. Had friends who spent 20 years in Ghana, They said you could never get them to stop stealing. Good luck on the project though.

They said you could never get them to stop stealing.
Unfortunately, that is one of the biggest problems in most 3rd world countries [not that it is not unknown in 1st world countries either]
my guess why its popular there is that they speak French
I have run it on an old P1 For testing, it works just fine in English as well
edit
it also contains lots of learning games for 4yr olds upwards

Last edited:
Sorry, got called away,
Emmaus use to have an associates program giving advice, I don't know if they still run it

They said you could never get them to stop stealing.
Thanks for being brave enough to be honest , usually in the UK all i get is something along the lines of " how dare you thats a slur on my people" ; the people that give me those replies although of African blood probably have never lived in Africa, or they were born, spent a couple of years then came to say Uk with parents. It makes it all the more poignant for me in that my late wife, a black Ghanaian was raised in Ghana; yet she was straight as a die . Here mother was the antithesis of a Christian ,so i often wonder how she was such a decent human being .

Thanks for being brave enough to be honest , usually in the UK all i get is something along the lines of " how dare you thats a slur on my people" ; the people that give me those replies although of African blood probably have never lived in Africa, or they were born, spent a couple of years then came to say Uk with parents. It makes it all the more poignant for me in that my late wife, a black Ghanaian was raised in Ghana; yet she was straight as a die . Here mother was the antithesis of a Christian ,so i often wonder how she was such a decent human being .
I'm in no way disparaging anyone form trying. There are some very decent people in Ghana. Though I've never been there or lived there have met some very good People who have visited us from Ghana. Sorry to hear about your wife passing. I know it is so very hard to loose a loved one.