Lightest Linux distros, easy for noob, with virtual winOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newbe here with first post. I've became increasing annoyed about Window notebooks the last 20 years. Before that no computers, travelling for 10 years before.

Whenever I tried linuxes on a USB, I always came to the point where I realized, I had to invest too steep in a learning curve, I'm not willing to. Like learning a new language - worth learning a whole culture and interesting people - but for a machine? I still prefer to meditate and communicate with real people for hours every day. Beside work, too few hours left..

What beside the monopoly, etc. annoyed me about windows machines the most, was that each notebook in those years had minor breakdowns, like usually the battery weakening or dying, the touchdisplay not working or broke, or the keys one by one not functioning anymore. Considered by the manufacturer irrepareable, or with the passing of time this technology always cheaper to buy a new one, instead of repair.

3 years ago with the last irreparable one I quit. Only used a android tablet since, and was surprised by its low-energy footprint: 7 Watts recharging, half that when charged. I considered Shiftbook bundle next, because modularly build and repairable. Sadly too powerful for my humble 95% use of browser, office and multimedia. And right now turned out with horrible battery runtime. And much too expensive for me.

So I had to decide now - tablet starts to pass out too - and bought a mini PC (8GB DDR, 128GB M.2 SSD, J4129, Windows10; for 120,- only), a touch display (11.6 inch), a simple keyport, mouse, and a 20AH powerback I already had. Therefore everything cheaply replaceable, without having to dispose a whole notebook each time, due to these 3 parts always broken after somr time - but separate now. Duh, took me a long time to realize something so simple :oops:

My plan, don't know if it works: Taking a simple light-weight distro for the 95% of time I use the computer, and run windows in a WM whenever at my wits-end. So a light as possible most of the use time. For that task: which tiny linux is easy on beginners with intuitive use for browser, office, media and has OS virtualization already included?

From an article, these seem from the lightest upward: TinyCore (not for beginners), Slax, Puppy, Elive, wattOZ, Slitaz, Debian.. Does anybody know if any of those could fulfill my requirements?

Or in a similiar region of system-requirements - almost nought nowadays - any distro close which would instead?

Reading up on these I found Slitax interesting, because as a server too, could be worked with over the internet. Would it work for me?
Try linux lite. When i migrated from windows to linux myself 3 years it was the first linix distro i used for s year around to learn the basics of linux then shofted to linux mint which is most mature and windows like. So, if you the lightest then try linux lite if you more mature go for mint but it is little heavier interms of resources.

Try linux lite.
Thanks, but neither with LinuxLite nor LinuxMint and very experienced users help I saw a way to get the audio speakers work with. For the latest list of all distros already tested live, see this post:

Someone asked for all distros till now tested, here they are:

Screenshot 2023-08-14 133502.png

Screenshot 2023-08-14 133638.png

Screenshot 2023-08-14 133727.png
Might very well be though, that installed any of them might just work. Just as it happened, switching from the live Mageia to the installed and updated - that it quit to work again. Despite a thereby updated kernel. But with at the moment old USB-sticks only, testing installations takes inordinate times.

80 minutes later, the progress bar for copying files is passing 3/4.
The last quarter of the progress bar was a very large one. Took another 160 minutes to complete copying files, where another progress bar for 'basic installation' started again. And I finally went asleep. So again above 4 hours for a further installation.

that installer is the one that i had mentioned sometimes uses the wrong esp, but hopefully that won't happen for this install.
It however, installed it within the windows efi boot system, and as a useless relique is still there.
What to say, it collected a new relic menu item only, now the boot selection menu looks like this:

Windows Boot Manager (PO: CYX-SSD-S1000)
mageia (PO: CYX-SSD-S1000)
grub (PO: CYX-SSD-S1000)
UEFI: USB USB Hard Drive, Partition 2
UEFI: VendorCoDisk 3.0 2.00, Partition 1
UEFI: USB USB USB Hard Drive, Partition 1
Enter setup

Starting the new grub item, it offers some basic commands. For boot, it would require a file-name. Of course, with a typing layout, I can't find special ones, like underline.

The UEFIs are all the removable USBs. The last with RoboLinux installed. But isn't possible to select, the selection just jumps back to the first. As it did when my first EasyOS install went dysfunct.

if you highlight the main partition and click on the Change button, there may be a "Use as" field with a drop-down menu to the right that says "do not use this partition". if i click "do not use this partition", i get a set of filesystem options. at the top is "Ext4 journaling file system" (fairly commonly used for lots of distros). if i choose that, a new field labeled "Mount point" shows up further down in the window with an empty drop-down menu to the right. if i click on that empty drop-down menu, i can choose / for a system with just one root partition (other than the esp).

What I can say however is: Whoever wrote this installation menu, apparently in use with many Linux distros, must have smoked heavy stuff. Or intentionally was that misleading for deterring newbies, with their very first experience of installing Linux. One could almost expect a windows agent having written such..

A dialog, which at the outset chooses the boot and install partition to have to take effect, one has first to 'change' one's choice again? Then change to 'use as', followed by 'do not use this partition'?!? File system and mount point options, the installer should really know better itself which it needs, than any newbie without such doublespeak could ever know at first? And even experienced users can't predict the outcome for. Even if done all right, the installer arbitrarily changed my initial choice to the ventoy stick again. Having to correct manually again?

Simply not comprehensible. Unless one goes from the onset with eradicating the main partition, really no choice left to direct the installation - than to hope for the best, and end empty handed again.

Last edited:
are you considering testing the distros as virtual machines? if so, from windows or from one of the other distros?

if so, from windows or from one of the other distros?
For virtualization within Linux probably no live distro works, unless with saving session ability. With all my testing, I simply didn't get as far to know which one yet, maybe PeachOS, which has Virtualization tools installed already? But no wlan for updating instead?

So my best bet is probably looking into virtualization from windows again.

The last with RoboLinux installed. But isn't possible to select, the selection just jumps back to the first. As it did when my first EasyOS install went dysfunct.
the only way i know of to try and figure out where grub is installed and possibly direct which entry to boot from linux is to try using efibootmgr. efibootmgr -v adds a bit of extra info about the entries:
Code:
efibootmgr -v
BootCurrent: 0017
Timeout: 0 seconds
BootOrder: 0017,0018,0016,0007,0008
Boot0017* mx	HD(1,GPT,894ba3cb-9e55-4c26-9619-2db2e06f8e6a,0x800,0xfa000)/File(\EFI\mx\grubx64.efi)
Boot0018* ubuntu	HD(1,GPT,894ba3cb-9e55-4c26-9619-2db2e06f8e6a,0x800,0xfa000)/File(\EFI\ubuntu\shimx64.efi)
those entries (17 and 18) are for my mx linux and linux mint installs. if i want to know what disk this part (894ba3cb-9e55-4c26-9619-2db2e06f8e6a) refers to, i can check blkid for it's PARTUUID.
Code:
blkid
/dev/sda1: UUID="DE85-DDCB" BLOCK_SIZE="512" TYPE="vfat" PARTUUID="894ba3cb-9e55-4c26-9619-2db2e06f8e6a"
if i wanted to boot into linux mint (entry 0018) instead of mx linux, i could try

sudo efibootmgr -n 18

Limine bootloader
Maybe a last option. Though it never recognized the EasyOS it was installed itself in, it did find Windows and Mageia. However, if I try to install the limine boot-loader, is there any way to remove such possibly death entries from the windows boot menu ever easy again?

the only way i know of to try and figure out where grub is installed and possibly direct which entry to boot from linux is to try using efibootmgr. efibootmgr -v adds a bit of extra info about the entries:
Thanks again, will try. But now already very short in time again.

is there any way to remove such possibly death entries from the windows boot menu ever easy again?
are those entries that you see in the uefi or bios boot settings? if so and if they are listed with efibootmgr, i believe you should also be able to delete the entries with efibootmgr. if they are just files left in the efi system partition, i think you should be able to delete those manually.

Last edited:
So my best bet is probably looking into virtualization from windows again.

Huch, what an technology shock for me! With my so simple use of computers the last years, not that surprising though.

Enabled and installed WSL on windows11 with a most simple command, and it installed Ubuntu text-version right on top of it, all under 1 hr from within the command-line (at my workingplace's with very fast wlan though). For the efibootmgr it then told what to install, but still wasn't able to execute on this computer.

So I tried Hyper-V in windows next. HolyMoses! - On the quick I just tried LXLE and Mageia, made each from the original ISOs stored on slow USB - but no, up and running in seconds!

How on earth can that be so quick and easy in windows? After cursory checking, it seemed with the same bugs as in live trials: for example LXLE without sounds. An other shock: Looking at the taskmanager, firefox open in windows used about 800MB of RAM, but that Hyper-V open with firefox too and my youtube example playing, just about 50MB?!?

This shambles everything I learnt the last weeks. However, the efibootmgr command wasn't recognized in both VMs . Proceeded to live Mageia and still non-session saving installed EasyOs, but both did not recognizing efibootmgr there neither.

Don't know what to think, better go to sleep now. Still sleep deprived from my last failing Linux install.

Proceeded to live Mageia and still non-session saving installed EasyOs, but both did not recognizing efibootmgr there neither.
in a live session of mageia 8, i had to install the efibootmgr package to be able to run the command. i found it in the Software Management program (listed as RPMdrake* in the "Welcome to Magiea" program's "Install software" tab). there was a button on the left of that screen that said "Packages with a GUI". i had to change that to All. then the search was able to find the package.

after installing, the command successfully ran and showed the efi boot entry for the installed vm.

I haven't read the whole thread but for a Linux beginner any Distro would not be easy...like anything else you need to take time to learn...it's not that hard.
m1213.gif

Virtualbox is a good place to start or burn the ISO to a Flash Drive and boot to it...easy. Forget about Bootloaders...Grub and the Terminal for now...just learn the basics first. A very good Distro that's easy to use and has everything you need is Linux Mint Cinnamon.
m1212.gif

after installing, the command successfully ran and showed the efi boot entry for the installed vm.

Thanks, will try.

A very good Distro that's easy to use and has everything you need is Linux Mint Cinnamon.
m1212.gif
Thanks. I'll have to edit and update the OP soon, otherwise I'll get it recommended repeatedly again. I tested LinuxMint Cinnamon, as seen in the list of post #342 above, and didn't get it to recognized Audio hardware on my pc. So no sound with it. And not yet able to solve.

Virtualbox is a good place to start or burn the ISO to a Flash Drive and boot to it...easy. Forget about Bootloaders..
Virtualbox is actually the only giving me difficulties to install in windows. Ventoy was very helpful to get at least 3 distros out of 80 running live for me. But still being unable to save session even with the now only fully installed EasyOS, I'm still unable to install anything with persistence in any linux.

So really not possible to forget about bootloaders yet, unless I get at least 1 of so many installed with session persistence first. Also, for all the linuxes with audio or wlan not functioning, I see no other way to try to probe than with command-line first. Or do you?

Last edited:
Mint boots without any trouble in Ventoy or a single Flash Drive...has sound and internet. In Mint you can adjust the sound in Sound Settings.
m1213.gif

When installing Mint on my Laptop...Mint asks do you want to establish an internet connection...so I do.
Ventoy was very helpful to get at least 3 distros out of 80 running live for me. But still being unable to save session even with the now only fully installed EasyOS, I'm still unable to install anything with persistence in any linux.

So really not possible to forget about bootloaders yet, unless I get at least 1 of so many installed with session persistence first. Also, for all the linuxes with audio or wlan not functioning, I see no other way to try to probe than with command-line first. Or do you?

I have no idea what you're talking about here...are you talking about a live session...a Flash Drive with persistence ?

I have no idea what you're talking about here...are you talking about a live session...a Flash Drive with persistence ?

If you read the post #342 I linked to above, the table there would be self-explanatory.

I tested about 80 Linux distros live with the help of Ventoy on a USB stick, to see if those work for me and my hardware:
  • Only 2 Raspian ISOs were not working with Ventoy at all.
  • 3 distros started in textmode only (with Ventoy).
  • 14 distros couldn't get booted (with Ventoy).
  • 12 distros couldn't get booted (with Ventoy), because those ISOs were apparently meant for directly installing only. Not able to test in live mode beforehand.
  • 11 life distros did boot in live mode with Ventoy, but didn't recognize or failed to connect to WLAN. (a member here was very helpful for sort it out, with command-line instructions. But even with this patient help, I couldn't get wlan to work with those 11 distros).

• Finally, 32 with Ventoy on a USB-stick tested live-distros connected to WLAN just fine, but couldn't out pour any sounds. Again, not solved with command-line help here in this thread.
LinuxMint Cinnamon was one of them, failing with sound. It worked for you - it didn't for me, with my specific hardware (I've written plenty about). While testing in live-mode with Ventoy, and the support of experienced members here.

Despite so many tested live distros and none working out of the box, I tested 3 distros which can be simply installed and deinstalled alongside Windows. Again, none this special way installed could play simple audio files.

Finally, only 3 Linux distros tested live, proved to work out of the box, including wlan and sound with Ventoy. So I proceeded to test those installed (not live anymore).

Magaia tested twice, first installed on a SD-card, second on a USB-stick. First installation with actualizations took 8 hours, only to find sound failing in the installed and updated version of Magaia suddenly too again. Therefore, I tried a second installation of Mageia without actualization, lasting 4 hours this way. But producing a Mageia install this way, completely unresponsive and freezing with every click. Useless again.

Next was EasyOs installed in 2 different ways on an USB-stick too. First simply ceased to boot at a point. And wasn't repairable anymore. Second install with the ISO-writer from within EasyOS, installed fine, but the saving-session feature isn't functioning with many reboots yet (it did after 3 with the first EasyOS install). So I can download programs and install, but with the next boot-up all installations are gone again, along with any other saved files in the now only one, somewhat successful installation of EasyOS. But still not practical to use, without persistence.

Finally, I installed RoboLinux on a USB, taking more than four hours again. That's where the failing Bootloader was the cause for again NOT having even one working installed Linux with persistence over sessions again.

Virtualized in Hyper-V I do have now access to persistent Linux systems, and a very quick and easy way to test further, but it was never my point to change to Linux, if I'm able to only do so via Windows virtualization only.

Last edited:
efibootmgr -v adds a bit of extra info about the entries:
Install in Mageia live worked, you are really exceptional in being able to explain everything how to work.

The output:

Code:
BootCurrent: 0007
Timeout: 1 seconds
BootOrder: 0000,0001,0004,0006,0007,0002,0005
Boot0000* Windows Boot Manager
Boot0001* mageia
Boot0002  Hard Drive
Boot0004* grub
Boot0005  USB
Boot0006* UEFI: VendorCoDisk 3.0 2.00, Partition 1
Boot0007* UEFI: USB USB Hard Drive, Partition 2
[live@localhost ~]$ efibootmgr -v
BootCurrent: 0007
Timeout: 1 seconds
BootOrder: 0000,0001,0004,0006,0007,0002,0005
Boot0000* Windows Boot Manager    HD(1,GPT,ee834e9d-ef4c-490d-b5c4-a64670a68dfe,0x800,0x32000)/File(\EFI\MICROSOFT\BOOT\BOOTMGFW.EFI)WINDOWS.........x...B.C.D.O.B.J.E.C.T.=.{.9.d.e.a.8.6.2.c.-.5.c.d.d.-.4.e.7.0.-.a.c.c.1.-.f.3.2.b.3.4.4.d.4.7.9.5.}....................
Boot0001* mageia    HD(1,GPT,ee834e9d-ef4c-490d-b5c4-a64670a68dfe,0x800,0x32000)/File(\EFI\MAGEIA\GRUBX64.EFI)
Boot0002  Hard Drive    BBS(HD,,0x0)/VenHw(5ce8128b-2cec-40f0-8372-80640e3dc858,0200)..GO..NO..........C.Y.X.-.S.S.D.-.S.1.0.0.0...................\.,[email protected].=.X..........A...........................>..Gd-.;.A..MQ..L.2.2.1.1.0.1.0.0.2.0.1.0.1.S.8.2.2.2.1.2........BO
Boot0004* grub    HD(1,GPT,ee834e9d-ef4c-490d-b5c4-a64670a68dfe,0x800,0x32000)/File(\EFI\GRUB\SHIMX64.EFI)
Boot0005  USB    BBS(USB,,0x0)/VenHw(5ce8128b-2cec-40f0-8372-80640e3dc858,0500)..GO..NO..........V.e.n.d.o.r.C.o.D.i.s.k. .3...0. .2...0.0...................\.,[email protected].=.X..........A.............................<..Gd-.;.A..MQ..L.5.0.2.7.1.7.1.0.0.0.0.8.4.3.6.8.4.7.5........BO..NO........{.U.S.B. .U.S.B...................\.,[email protected].=.X..........A.............................2..Gd-.;.A..MQ..L.1.2.0.8.3.1.9.1.6.8.0.1.1.7........BO
Boot0006* UEFI: VendorCoDisk 3.0 2.00, Partition 1    PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x15,0x0)/USB(4,0)/USB(1,0)/HD(1,MBR,0xc1dac7ad,0x800,0x3800)..BO
Boot0007* UEFI: USB USB Hard Drive, Partition 2    PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x15,0x0)/USB(4,0)/USB(2,0)/HD(2,MBR,0xc0914ea4,0x3b50000,0x10000)..BO

if i wanted to boot into linux mint (entry 0018) instead of mx linux, i could try

sudo efibootmgr -n 18
Therefore in my case: sudo efibootmgr -n 04

? Will that not only invoke the before failing grub?

i don't have the vm open just now, but believe i had to use

su

to get to a root prompt with the mageia live. the prompt should change from $ to #. then you should hopefully be able to run

efibootmgr -n 4

or try 04 if just 4 doesn't work like you did before.

editing to add: i have the vm with mageia live open. su does get me to a root prompt. you should be able to run commands that require root authentication from there.

Last edited:
Therefore in my case: sudo efibootmgr -n 04

? Will that not only invoke the before failing grub?
i realize you were testing that already, but it does seem likely that would be the result if you have tried booting that entry from the bios menu or elsewhere.
UEFI: USB USB Hard Drive, Partition 2
UEFI: VendorCoDisk 3.0 2.00, Partition 1
UEFI: USB USB USB Hard Drive, Partition 1
Enter setup

Starting the new grub item, it offers some basic commands. For boot, it would require a file-name. Of course, with a typing layout, I can't find special ones, like underline.

The UEFIs are all the removable USBs. The last with RoboLinux installed. But isn't possible to select, the selection just jumps back to the first. As it did when my first EasyOS install went dysfunct.
my thought was to try that last entry that you thought was robolinux. however, given your efiboogmgr -v output, that looks like the same usb as the one above it:
Boot0006* UEFI: VendorCoDisk 3.0 2.00, Partition 1 PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x15,0x0)/USB(4,0)/USB(1,0)/HD(1,MBR,0xc1dac7ad,0x800,0x3800)..BO
Boot0007* UEFI: USB USB Hard Drive, Partition 2 PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x15,0x0)/USB(4,0)/USB(2,0)/HD(2,MBR,0xc0914ea4,0x3b50000,0x10000)..BO
because this part [PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x15,0x0)/USB(4,0)/USB(1,0)/HD(1,MBR] all looks the same except USB(1 and HD(1 which seem to describe the partition number. so that may be the ventoy disk?

B(1 and HD(1 which seem to describe the partition number. so that may be the ventoy disk?
Im not following here really. All I know booting UEFI: USB USB Hard Drive, Partition 2 - is giving me the Ventoy boot menu. As for the mageia live I'm now in. Now will try reboot with the command haven taken effect in the terminal.

UEFI: VendorCoDisk 3.0 2.00, Partition 1 is where EasyOS (non-persisting) is installed. And I think is damaged, partitioning resulting in different outcomes in GParted of different distros.

UEFI: USB USB USB Hard Drive, Partition 1 can only be the RoboLinux. Its however, the same USB stick size, and of the same Vendor (Medion) as the Ventoy USBstick.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online