KDE 6 theming broken

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanK

Reaction score
Credits
This is more a general comment than anything else but has anyone had real issues with the so called KDE 6 upgrade? Most of my theming is now broken and accessing theming on line via settings no longer works. Feels like a step backward not forward. I really wished this thing had not been released.

What Arch or Arch-based are you using, Sean? I may be able to check it out if it is in my stable.

Chris

What Arch or Arch-based are you using, Sean? I may be able to check it out if it is in my stable.

Chris
Hi Chris,

Its vanilla Arch. I suspect this may be down to KDE 6 being new, although I will say I've lost a lot of faith in KDE over the last couple of years. I have found this sort of thing happens all too frequently. At least in my experience.

I could roll back using Timeshift but KDE 6 is included in the Arch update cycle so not sure how it can be avoided in the short to medium term?

I understand.

Maybe it might be worth asking at Arch Forums, and if you learn anything, by all means bring it back and share with us?

I understand.

Maybe it might be worth asking at Arch Forums, and if you learn anything, by all means bring it back and share with us?
To be honest I'm not that bothered. I was more curious to see if others had had similar experiences.

This laptop is near end of life so I'll just plod along. When I eventually upgrade to a new sparkly one, I'll move over to LMDE which is used on every other laptop in the house.

This is more a general comment than anything else but has anyone had real issues with the so called KDE 6 upgrade?
There are way too many negative comments about Plasma 6 with all sorts of issues, I wouldn't recommend to install it until those issues are fixed.

There are way too many negative comments about Plasma 6 with all sorts of issues, I wouldn't recommend to install it until those issues are fixed.
Problem is its part of the upgrade cycle so hard to avoid. I guess what I'm wondering is why not wait to release it, if there are so many issues, until they are ironed out?

For myself once this laptop has done its dash and I have a new one, I'll be moving over to Cinnamon.

Problem is its part of the upgrade cycle so hard to avoid. I guess what I'm wondering is why not wait to release it, if there are so many issues, until they are ironed out?

For myself once this laptop has done its dash and I have a new one, I'll be moving over to Cinnamon.
Blessed be my debian because it doesn't force me to install bugs.
It's the price one has to pay if using the latest and greatest software, perhaps switch to some other DE instead.

I'm also active on another forum where there are plenty of topics with issues/bugs people are running into.
Feels like a step backward not forward. I really wished this thing had not been released.
Did you pay for the software, did you contribute to the software? If the answer is no to either that's too easy for you to say something like that and an insult to the KDE Plasma developers who are volunteers and spend their free time working on such a big project. As a general rule in software there will be bugs in x.0.0 versions, because they are new releases of a major version. AFAIK LMDE is based on Debian stable, would find it strange if KDE Plasma 6 is already available in Debian stable.

Last edited:
I will withhold judgement until tomorrow.

I took a look through the KDE contingent of my stable, and the last one I looked at was Endeavour (Arch-based, rolling).

It appears they are rolling out Plasma 6, and I had only updated on 3rd March so I have a recent Timeshift snapshot if things go south.

Evening, Maarten. :)

I'm also active on another forum where there are plenty of topics with issues/bugs people are running into.

Did you pay for the software, did you contribute to the software? If the answer is no to either that's too easy for you to say something like that and an insult to the KDE Plasma developers who are volunteers and spend their free time working on such a big project. As a general rule in software there will be bugs in x.0.0 versions, because they are new releases of a major version. AFAIK LMDE is based on Debian stable, would find it strange if KDE Plasma 6 is already available in Debian stable.
A little rude but if that's your opinion so be it.....

Settle guys, just agree to differ.

If no-one read #13...I haven't the time for babysitting, you are both old enough to know better.

I am locking this thread for my evening, and I will be back tomorrow to see if things might be a little quieter.

Wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts