Jumping Ship While the Band Plays On

S

ScriptorMalum

I see I'm not the only one who is tired of Windows all together. And for all the reasons Don just posted this morning, I'm 90% in love with the idea of learning a new OS and maybe getting into programming myself.
Exited to be here! Did anyone else refer to books or manuals before using Linux? What do you recommend, or is just jumping in preferred?

Welcome! Personally, I think people learn best by doing. But that will still including reading, and probably a good bit of it. There are lots of tutorials here on this site, and all over the web. Check out Linux tutorials on YouTube, etc. Use Google to try to find your own answers... that will help more than receiving spoon-fed instructions. Good luck!

Welcome. Feel free to dive right in. As Darren Hale has said before, Linux is like an all you can eat buffet, with no bloated feeling from overindulging. Come to think of it, there is no such thing as too much:):):D!
Ciao for now,
Paul

Before I jumped into Linux about 16 months ago, I was told it isn't wise to completely abandon Windows if that is what I have used all my life. I ignored this and never regretted it for even a second. Just remember, anything you might get stuck on, any problem you might have has ALREADY been solved by someone else before, more often than not this even includes troubles with newly-released distros. You don't really need a book or to "study" simpler distros like Ubuntu, Lubuntu, or Mint, for example. When you run into a problem, just check the ol' internet. Someone somewhere will have an answer. Despite the fact I am a noob, I started a Youtube channel that helps with some of the basic, beginner early-on problems, (solved by a real person with real hardware, over-the-counter gear you can get at Wal-Mart or Best Buy) with things like file sharing, or installing the Tor Browser. Of course it is recommended for the kind of distros I list above. Online there's endless help and tips for everything. A tip: don't waste money on a book.

Yes true there is the internet. Why is important to have good documentation.

Members online